With Edge, Microsoft’s forced Windows updates just sank to a new low

Bleh. I hates forced updates…

2 Likes

Yep.
They even backported it to Win7. Of course it didn’t work properly and filled the screen with error messages.

Imo, even without this forced update Edge was always a horrible browser.

Wheels

Now it’s based on Chromium, the open source project behind Chrome.

So it’s Chrome with a MS re-skin and instead of your google account you sign in with your MS account (if you choose).

Can’t say I have seen it forced - out off all my home and office systems it’s been a manual update.

1 Like

Eh just another small bit of bloatware. Whatevs.

1 Like

I feel I’m the only one who kinda liked Edge… I mean I use Firefox for everything but I quite like Edge on my laptop though

2 Likes

I’m not defending their assumed opt-in method of distribution, but the new version of Edge (Chrome), works pretty well. It runs all of your Chrome plugins\extensions, like LastPass, which seemed to never remain stable with the original Edge. So, if you like Chrome, you now have another option. But don’t have to use it. You are free to run whatever browser rocks your world, which BTW will also ask you to make them the default at first run. The benefits of having more Chrome out way the inconvenience IMO.

1 Like

I think it also finally solves shipping a proper default browser with the system.

For IT its useful too. I can ditch Chrome and have users sign in with corporate MS accounts to sync favorites etc across browsers, and it uses the same GPO templates as Chrome - just they are in a different section that is integrated and not added manually - which includes the ability to add “managed favorites” which is a folder or folders of bookmarks deployed by IT (you can still have your own) which is great for giving everyone all the vendor websites, accounting portals and the like!

3 Likes

iMac, Safari, nuff said.

It also simplifies web app development and compatibility down to 2, instead of 3 standards. Hard to believe, but there are still a few IE only web sites, the most recent one that I saw was a bank! What are they thinking?

3 Likes

No matter how useful Edge is as a browser I suspect at some point there will end up being another anti-trust case over it if they keep going in the direction they are heading with it.

Wheels

Browser war is over. Cloud war is on.

I switched to new edge for daily work and it‘s actually pretty good. Not used to this!

As everybody knows using MS browsers was always an awful experience, as all you did was download another browser. And they managed to even make that simple task as painful as possible.

Well, gone are the days, just slap on the new one and be productive. Ok, I had to configure the start page to not load MSN news. It‘s a nice random picture now.

Personally can’t stand that the Edge browser removed the Menubar, (File, Edit, View, etc.), without leaving you an option to enable it.

Wheels

I’ve never liked Edge. Its intrusive, and I have a long-term suspicion from previous dealings with MS, that its probably overflowing with spyware.

Google is bad enough, without inviting MS to the browser monitoring party as well.

1 Like

If MS wants to spy on your computer, they can do it on so many levels. Starting from about 2 seconds in after you pressed the power button.

Except if you do not run Windows.

I’ve always thought of that argument to be a variation of the old if you can’t stop it lay back and enjoy it trope, and its kind of incompatible with my nature.

I intend to keep fighting as best as I can via apps like O & O shut up 10 and others.

1 Like

The latest updates silently installed skype without ever asking for my consent. Seriously Microsoft, get bent.

1 Like

Same. That page is about 5% useful content and 95% adds.

1 Like

Yep. I had a whole bunch of alerts on my router about my kids PCs attempting to use unauthorised social media apps. It was skype trying to connect on startup on both PCs…

I despise Win10 more every day… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Wheels

1 Like