X-Plane Releases Thread [2022/2023]

went through some release comments on 208 Caravan from Thranda. we saw some module price point comment from MSFS dev in the other thread, so here some perspective from Thranda if anyone interested

3 Likes

VSKYLABS have their planes on sale on xp store

we discussed damage modeling before in XP and that the released 172NG from AirfoilLabs is the first module with damage modeling. seems like we were wrong. vskylabs DC3 and He162 includes also damage modeling

7 Likes

and here another one with visualized DM

Extra from VERTIGO

There’s plenty here that I haven’t learned elsewhere. Plus, plenty of Austin. Despite the title, there’s not really much the sink one’s teeth into regarding the “World”. Aerodynamics is more the focus of the discussion. Episode 2: The Sky, is also now out.

2 Likes

In Episode 2, they very shortly segue into a video showing the weather. This is just my screenshot of the video but man! this sim is really looking good! The last ten minutes of ep. 2 is loaded with geek goodness.

5 Likes

X-Plane. It feels like such a lonely little corner of Mudspike. But I like it here. It’s quiet and dark (I think maybe the admins have turned off the power…or there’s a light switch in here somewhere…).

Cowan keeps getting better. I skipped his B206s because I felt that separating the two models was a bit of a cash grab. But with Dreamfoil allegedly out of the picture and no current H125 on offer I didn’t feel I had much choice other than to roll the dice.

It’s a very well done model. The exterior is second to none. Where his 500E showed some laziness in rotorhead artwork and rivet scaling, I can find no errors except a slightly exaggerated “orange peel” effect in the paint. Airbus might take some offense at such characterization of their paintwork but it actually gives the H125 a more pleasant look in the sim.

I do wish that the cabin, especially the panel showed a hint of wear. Not that it is Cowan’s fault but the instrument panel, as conceived by Airbus, is a big slab of dark grey. Why they felt the need to shut out the world with so much panel space is a mystery. IT’S A VFR HELICOPTER! Fresh from the factory, that dark grey wall probably is every bit as stark and featureless as Cowen has painted it. To me, it could benefit from some artistic abuse. Make her the mountain workhorse that she is.

Flying-wise, it feels plausible. There is gobs of power! My favorite flight so far has been climbing the spine of the Matterhorn until I hit ETL and had to turn away from the wall at the last hut. It’s nice to have a right power pedal since the helicopter I am building has the same “wrong turning” rotor. The H125 hovers right skid low with decent stability. My only comparison is the R44. The AS350/H125 as imagined here is slightly easier which would be expected.

There are dozens, maybe by now, hundreds, of livery options. Cowan has been more than generous with every imaginable configuration of winches, spotlights, cargo, passengers and equipment. The available power of the H125 makes it a great choice for winching light loads but I haven’t yet figured out how to get the function to work. X-Trident has spoiled me in making winching easy.

7 Likes

Im still here. Cant get on with MSFS flight model.

Plus Md11 on here

4 Likes

It seems to be OK with GA singles, but rotor aircraft is a no-go for me, especially after flying something like the DCS Huey.

2 Likes

It’s quiet here but, for me, it’s all about the upcoming XP12. I have been holding off on any module purchases, MSFS or XP until the new version drops.

That helicopter is on my list, though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same here. I dont have a large hanger on xp11 but although it never feels as believable as DCS, it definitely has a more realistic feel and a more interesting experience than msfs.

The plane set in msfs does absolutely nothing for me either.

2 Likes

X-Plane gets (as in thoroughly ‘understands’) helicopters. And I think the physics modeling will be little changed from 11. Really, I am not expecting much new from XP12 beyond weather, clouds and sound. We’ll know soon enough, hopefully.

3 Likes

I come to this corner whenever I miss the excellent FlyJSim 727 and 737 :smiley:

2 Likes

good user review!

I tend to look at that ‘206 incident’ from more generous perspective. it was probably enough work for him to make it separate modules. and as a result one can buy the preferred version for less maybe. I have chosen B3 and skipped L3.

back to the new B3 :slight_smile: surly will be adding it as the DreamFoil one is really obsolete as you mentioned.

that panel is big as it was designed for old-school gauges plus some dinosaur displays of the past days. the more modern combined displays doesnt occupy that much space. but wear-n-tear would be nice though.

two features make it hard to pass :

1. Free Future Updates (Including X-Plane 12)

2. Around the world adventure version :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Perfect for a certain Xmas flight.

1 Like

its the perfect sim platform for it imo … sometimes I just forget that and do some GA flight with it as it can do also the other flying really good :slight_smile:

in November MSFS with its update containing helicopters will maybe shake a bit this XP position. but XP12 can stir the pot some more.

2 Likes

According to the poster on the dot org forum, this came out today.

7 Likes
2 Likes

F5 key time…
F5 | Know Your Meme

1 Like

Looks like it’s out in early access. I’m curious to see how it does, the biggest selling point for me would be backwards compatibility with the aircraft I already own for xp11.

1 Like

As soon as I can get a stable connection for long enough, I’ll be downloading. Hope to have comments by tomorrow (especially since I’m still getting annoyingly regular crashes right now in MSFS).