X-Plane Releases Thread [2022/2023]

Well that “discussion” turned into a typical reddit :poop: show. :nerd_face:

Funny how all this price vs. realism chatter has blown up so quickly. But I’m sure the developer is loving every minute of it as it is just giving his product more exposure. I’m just over here like:

2 Likes

VR headset owners using it for flight simulations was actually 15.2% and head trackers were not part of the survey, when I search the written report. Interestingly, 54% of the responders said that they use Navigrapgh charts in the sim, while responders that mostly fly DCS was only 3%. I’m not sure what that indicates, but it would be good to know head tracker usage. I’d be surprised that if you added head tracker and VR users, that it wouldn’t be a fair chunk of the sim market.

I understand that trying to draw conclusions from a single survey is walking down a slippery slope, but it’s probably the best we are likely to get. Worthy of discussion, IMHO.

2 Likes

Me!
I got to hitch a ride in an open basket de-ice truck when I had to inspect a birdstrike to the horizontal stab on the Dash8… Man, that thing swayed about up there!!! :scream:

1 Like

we don’t need to go radical about it :wink:

like example from other side.
there is new CowanSim Bell206B3 and he made it not to scale. because in VR (he has Rift) he thought that the perspective was little off so he made it little bigger… pitiful pancake users like me :slight_smile:

its like all over the board. modules developed without VR in mind and modules ‘squeezed’ into VR. its what it is…

That’s nuts. The DF 407 came out in early VR (maybe even before) and it’s proportionally fine.

Soon?

3 Likes

those artists, you know :slight_smile: but with DF nowhere to be found CS is one of the best we can get atm I would say

btw that A109 got some love recently and seems to be shapeing nicely

really looking forward to it, I mean the demo :slight_smile:

I think I will make the move once I will be sure that it performs similarly or better than XP11 on my machine :crossed_fingers: :wink:

Wow…an excellent freeware Metroliner III - with a full 3D cockpit. It is really nice…practically payware quality…

3 Likes

nice plane and seems like nice dev also - @Starvingpilot

saw in the comments that he flies Q400 for living. probably career switch during the pandemics :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not yet…but nice video…I feel like Liam Neeson should be murdering someone in it though…or something…snakes…on a plane…or something…with that music…

3 Likes

I am watching this kind of videos usually without sound so thx for headsup :slight_smile:

I recall hearing similar music theme for the first time in DCS MiG21 trailer. definitely OK for combat related stuff imo but agree thats really weird for civi sims :slight_smile:

iirc Aerosoft used similar theme in one of their CRJ trailers, was scratching my head already back then :thinking: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For that Metro III freeware above…this guy did some PBR modifications to it and also changed the windscreen and added a pilot…

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/78559-steves-metroiii-mod-passenger-custom-pbr/

2 Likes

lol, interesting idea for XP module

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJnoisbN-9c

This is not a new release announcement…rather…an observation. I see the Raleigh Durham (KRDU) airport for X-Plane 11 is on sale from FeelThere. Since it is an airport I go to quite often in real life (probably the most frequent destination over my 24 years with MedCenter Air other than Charlotte)…I was sorta thinking of pulling the trigger. So I watched the promo video… I mean…they can’t even spell it right in the promo…not even close…

Confused Tom Hanks GIF

5 Likes

they are really in need of good SME :wink:

1 Like

anchorman-comedy

2 Likes

I was about to post info on yesterday’s update to Cowan’s MD-500E but when I pulled up the x-plane.org page I noticed that his update to the Bell 222 has just dropped as well. I don’t know what the 222 changes involve yet although it does appear that he has updated the autopilot. As for the -500, it looks and sounds much better. No more stretched rivets. Rotor animation seems accurate now as well. He’s also added sling-loading functionality which I haven’t yet tried. That Cowan is willing to apply experience and new knowledge in support of existing models says a lot. I am a fan.

OK so still “a fan”. But after a bit of flying in both I am not sure that either update is 100% an improvement. Certainly the -500 looks better on the outside. There are some odd things that the flight model does when handled aggressively that do not make sense to me. Sudden pitch and roll moments that were uncommanded and which do not seem to be in response to external forces. They’re just there. But again only when handled aggressively. Maybe not Cowan’s fault but something that now happens often in the -500 but nowhere else is loss of VR input into the cyclic. This might be my setup somehow but I cannot replicate it in other helos nor have I noticed it yet in the B222. Basically every flight crashes after 10 minutes because the VR controller (cyclic) times out. My bad. This is actually totally Cowan’s fault! The -500 is so much fun that I tend to fly it much more aggressively than I do other helicopters. In right turns I have a tendancy to tilt my head way up and to the right, placing the controller out of tracking view of the headset. The sling function can only be activated in hover and is pretty useless to be honest. It’s not really a -500 thing anyway so I don’t really care. As for the B222, the sounds are much better. To me the autopilot is a step backwards. It will hold altitude but when the ALT window is adjusted to pre-select a higher level, the helicopter pitches at a rate equivalent to the change in level, almost as if the window has changed to VS. But it shouldn’t/hasn’t because VS mode has not been selected. The vertical rate is unsustainable so the speed drops to zero and thereafter things get ugly. It is basically the same autopilot as is in the B412. Cowen should just emulate the functions from X-Trident’s version and I think he will achieve something quite closer to real than what he has currently.

1 Like
1 Like

Brett S has done more for helicopters in DCS than anyone outside LR. If it takes a spraykit this will be perfect for Airspray.