Elite Dangerous Thread

Looking at getting a viper to get into bounty hunting, Cost of one I “priced” should be about 600k. Was also thinking of getting a Cobra for mining/trading. Is it worth getting a cobra or should I just stick with the viper and hauler until I can afford an asp or something of that nature to mine with.

I personally like the Cobra, as it can pretty much do anything. It’s good for rares trading, a bit of mining, bounty hunting when equipped properly. It depends if you want to try lots of ships, but for me I just like the Cobra enough to stay with it and then just equip it differently as my mood changes on what to do.

3 Likes

I loved my Cobra- you can really do pretty much anything in the ship, it’s just a matter of swapping modules. I made a good bit bounty hunting in mine- any NPC up to about Python size you can take down without much difficulty, and with a good dose of skill and luck, you can take down a Conda without getting killed. Seriously, you won’t regret picking one up. Also, lots of fun paint jobs.

1 Like

I loved the Viper. It’s excellent as a fighter. Loaded out I had beam lasers, cannons, kill warrant scanner, and a respectable jump range with a fuel scoop. Bang for your buck, I think it’s hard to beat. Good turn rate and fast.

I have never flown the Cobra so I can’t really compare. But, I think you’ll be happy with the Viper.

1 Like

Nice PvE progression chart from Reddit tonight. The Vulture is rated a bit too low IMHO though - it’s a beast at fighting.

3 Likes

that’s a good chart.

If diversity is what you want, I would go the following route as to me (and I think many others agree) is the progression of the swiss army knife of ships.

Cobra mk3, asp, python, conda.

Good things start happening quick in the cobra, money is easy to earn and bounty hunting is good fun. The cobra can handle a good load out and with its narrow height privides a small target when facing an enemy.

Without a doubt the next ship I would think about getting is the asp. The asp, though slow to turn has good durability, excellent speed and one of the best jump ranges in the game. Its power ability means you can outfit this baby for any load out you wish.

I have done loads of bounty hunting in the asp and it works well. Condas come down with the right fit out in this. The asp is the favoured smuglers ship for its durability, straight line speed and exceptional jump range and is where I have made a good chunk of my money from.

But the big thing in costing up a new ship is to remember that fully kitted out, the final price of a ship will be around 3 times plus the original cost of a ship. Some modules are very very expensive.

Also remember when purchasing modules, you don’t need to “A” grade everything to get the best load out. Different grades of modules sacrifice a little ability for far better weight gain, so a lower tier module may actually benefit you more. Make sure you look around.

As you are moving up in the ships tier, I have one more little tip. Power management will be key to the best fit out. Not talking about pips to shields/engines/weapons. But talking about setting power priority to you modules.

Power priority (if you didn’t already know) will automatically disable power to not needed modules when consumption of power gets too high.

For example, I often have my jump drive, cargo door and other modules further down the power scale. This allows me very power hungry shields and weapons. So when I deploy weapons, my jump drive, cargo door and other modules power down automatically to allow 100% power to other modules.

anyway something to think about when you start upgrading your new ship. And I also agree with others, you can’t go wrong with the cobra.

3 Likes

www.coriolis.io

I live by this site.

I’ve always had this half-baked fantasy of picking up a Type 9 and turning it into a big, slow Q-ship. I believe the term affectionately used in the forums is Battle Cow? Then going and trolling the trollers in any hauling CG’s.

Only 2000 more light years to go back to inhabited space! I started watching Alias- I’d forgotten about what a badass Jennifer Garner was in that series.

2 Likes

Just found that site and I love it.

Looks like I’m going cobra. It can do everything I want to do. Mine, trade and bounty hunt.

I took a mission last night to recover an occupied escape pod. After about an hour of driving around I found one. Made a cool 75k too.

I’ve made more money with the last three missions then I had ever made in elite before them.

I am really having a tough time convincing myself to leave the surface lol

1 Like

Alias is a good one. I started watching Chuck again

just found a mining outpost. Heavily defended with anti ship turrets and multiple skimmers. Stayed in the ship and took out all threats then landed and began the long task of plundering the outpost.

Out of shot to the left, lots of automated mining machines. They give up resources when shot.

4 Likes

Another mining post found, this time you can see the automatic miners in the screenshot.

However things did not go well.

I think I have discovered a planet that is not what it seems. It appears the sand worms of Arakis has completely eaten the inside of this planet leaving just a shell.

I accidentally broke through the surface and began a very very very very very long descent to the core.

I was going to see how the physics was modelled and see if gravity was going to slow my descent when passing the centre of mass and then suck me back up… but this descent was going to take waaaaaaaay too long.

1 Like

From all my “research” I have found that the Vulture is the end all be all of Bounty Hunting. Most say anything above it is a pain to up keep.

1 Like

@weaponz248. Yes it is probably the best fighter out there. A good choice for raking in money bounty hunting in a hirez.

Because it is such an excellent fighter, it is limited in other areas. It has almost no cargo capacity and its jump range isn’t the best. But it sure will do combat effectively.

2 Likes

Well I made it back to Cubeo and picked up a Cobra! Its going to be a fun weekend. Damn surface missions I pick up from Cubeo are awesome. If i wasnt late I had the chance to make almost $400k for two deliveries!

So where are you guys on this map?? :smiley:

If I had to guess…

NOTE: May or may not be to scale…

3 Likes

Plus, you need a Federation rank permit of at least ‘Petty Officer’ to be able to visit Sol.

Obviously. :wink:

1 Like

2,200 light years, give or take. Other side of the Cat’s Eye Nebula.

I don’t need an excuse to use Elite’s beautiful Galactic Map. I’m pretty close to Sol at the moment, although there are a few places to see on the way:

I’m still in my original hangar. I haven’t moved.

In space…can anyone hear your scream spaceship rust?

2 Likes