Any adventofcode participants?

Yes, exactly. It is web based IDE (usually run on local server). Code can be divided to blocks, which can be edited and run on the fly in arbitrary order for intermediate results. You can also use rich text and other media in the document, for example generate graphs and show them along the code and other results. There is a lot more than this; these were the features first crossed my mind.

C is a perfectly reasonable tool for many tasks still today: possibly limited resources or realtime requirements. In fact my study major was embedded systems, but have drifted away quite a bit over the years.

1 Like

Nice Zam! I’ll have to study that later!
And ‘C’, it’s still perfect for what I do. My playground is the MAC layer.

1 Like

I’ll happily admit that I would not have solved today’s part 2 without hints. Not having a CS or math background, I had to do some research to get it to work.

2 Likes

Same here for the day 11. I had to resort Reddit Adventofcode forum for tips for the second part. But even the first part was painful parsing. I fell through the regex rabbit hole there.

On the other hand I quite liked the day 12. I knew the needed algorithm so it was mainly trying to remember how it was implemented (had to resort wikipedia for that). Part 2 was smooth sailing with minimal changes to the first part.

2 Likes

Over the last few months, I’ve been learning bits and pieces of rust every now and then.

I’ve always been fascinated by systems that exhibit emergent behavior, as such my latest rust learning vehicle was implementing Conway’s Game of Life. It’s very easy to write, but the result is incredibly fun and can be very complex. The source code can be found under my github handle yetyetanotherusername if you want to play around with it.

3 Likes

Funny bit of trivia- the walls of the Cyberspace in the original 1994 release of System Shock actually had that “game of life” running on them.

3 Likes