Any Sub Simmers here?

I’ve been a subsim fan fan since Silent Service, although the real fans are over at subsim.com. Silent Hunter 2 and 3 were pretty good for their time (the multiplayer cross-connect with Destroyer Command looked amazing, but I never got to try it), but these games definitely show their age now.

SH4 is good, in my opinion. I think it needs a few hacks out of the box (change the fire control from “Enter” to “Ctrl+Enter” or something you’re less likely to accidentally hit!), and there are oodles and oodles of mods over at Subsim, but I can get lost in that game for days. Full real, for me, I even printed out my own banjo for computing attack runs.

I never got SH5, but I heard so many complaints about it, I’ve stayed away. Seems like Ubisoft circle-ran themselves on that one.

There is a new subsim game I’ve been watching. It’s very very alpha at the moment, but has some great multiplayer potential…with the right crew.

You can get the game for free here: http://hmsmarulken.se/

I’ve played a lot of SH3 with a friend of mine over a LAN on cold winter days. For some reason we’ve always managed to almost smash into eachother when convoy attacking… we were not very good at all :joy:

There was an old and fantastic game called Wolfpack. From Novalogic, IINW.

• I checked, I was right *

I loved that and wouldn’t mid trying this one!
WHo’s up for some Subsimaction?

2 Likes

Hell yeah!

What’s your timezone @TheAlmightySnark?

GMT+1, I do have a changing schedule though.

Nobody’s mentioned “Wolfpack”. It was a simple, tight and quite beautiful game for its time. And I still remember the soundtrack…

Dah Dah Dah DAH Dah Dah Dah Dah Dah DAH duh duh

(There really should be some sort of notation for writing music clearly)

2 Likes

Dude… I literally did it four comments above yours. -_-’

2 Likes

alt+13 and alt+14 on the numeric keypad will get you ♪ and ♫

Otherwise you can type 🎼 ♩ ♪ ♫ ♭ ♮ to get :musical_score: ♩ ♪ ♫ ♭ ♮

Not exactly the most diverse set of composing tools, but we’re a tone-deaf bunch anyways.

So you did! Sorry.

3 Likes

LOL! No worries :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I wore out my Jane’s 688-I CD years ago. I understand that Dangerous Waters is kind of the spiritual heir, but it seems so much more complex. 688-I balanced complexity and fun very well. I remember it was easy enough to control with a KB/M combination that I could rock my then 3-mo. old (now 14 y.o.) daughter to sleep with a bottle and play with the sound down low and the lights off. By the time I’d finish a mission, she’d be out like a light.

3 Likes