AV8R learning the AV-8B

So here we are - we’re going to do what the thing is supposed to do - takeoff and land vertically! After a nice introduction on concepts and making some of the “finger” checks, it is time to perform a vertical takeoff. I elected to do the takeoff with the immediate transition to wingborne flight as opposed to the takeoff / land / takeoff profile (can’t remember what that was called…pop up or something - oh “Press-Up”). We are pretty light so no real struggle with weight on this mission.

I turn into the wind as instructed, checking the nose mounted wind vane / slip indicator…(there is probably a technical name for that thing)…

Nozzles out to 82…

And off we go! After gaining some altitude, I start pitching to put the “Witch’s Hat” in the flight director carats while simultaneously reducing the nozzles…

Easy-peasy! Soon I’m at 0 nozzle and cruising along to the waypoint where we will orbit and receive further instructions…

Autopilot bank/altitude hold is my favorite button in the aircraft…

Heading for the key position. I actually ended up a little bit fast over the smoke and had to do a 360-turn to stay on the profile toward the landing pad…

60 degrees of nozzle and slowing with the gear out and flaps in the STOL position…

Here I am coming across the key position a bit too fast…

Transitioning fully to the hover…riding that column of thrust…

power1

The Harrier feels good…reacts quickly (at least at this weight) to power changes and feels very controllable. I’m sure that will all change in crosswinds, turbulence, and at heavier weights…

I settle in on the pad…! Another landing I can walk away from…err…well, @Baltic_Dragon made me re-think that strategy after shutdown…(always stay until the end of the movie credits!)…

11 Likes