Cycling thread

I usually take one of these with me (chopped up in a bag up front for easy access).

All Clif Bar Products | Energy Bars, Snacks, More

For emergencies or when the ride is longer than an hour. My bike computer will prompt me to eat something every so often so I usually dig into those.

1 Like

For the ride, I’m old school. No special pre-ride meal. Just don’t leave hungry.

6 Likes

Remember when they used to call them “Fig Newtons”? :slight_smile: What a classic! Gotta pick some of those up for snacking at work. Thanks for the nostalgia. :+1:

3 Likes

That’s what that is dude, a genuine Nabisco Fig Newton! The original superfood.

4 Likes

Over this side, “Fig rolls”.

I could never understand why, when doing a sportive, they provide a highly laxative snack.

If you start on these bad boys at the first feed 20 miles in and again at halfway, around 80 miles you’re going to be ripping off your cycling top and bib shorts in order to prevent an accident of the magnitude of a major biological waste spill.

It’s amazing how quickly you can take off a cycling top and bib shorts in the smallest of toilets when you need to. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Went on a Modest ride this morning with my Wife and got a bit of a treat :grinning:

Wildlife is not something you see everyday in The Big City

3 Likes

Did a bit better today

2 Likes

Is this the right thread for this?
Bought a new bike pump but working mostly with Computers I have no idea what these extra bits do…

3 Likes

The needles are to inflate volley- or footballs.

5 Likes

Shocked Puss In Boots GIF

Aaah! I’m an idiot! You’re right… Thanks!

3 Likes

The other pieces are for blowing up those inflatable pool things or camping mattresses. I think. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This came up on my YT feed recently. Sean Quinn from EF takes on local pros on an LA group ride. The first bit is a little confusing because the video is from a motorbike, something that you usually don’t see on a group ride, but the overlay, and I’m assuming the audio, is from Quinn.

The motorbike works his way to the “break”, then the video swaps back and forth between the motorbike and a rider with a camera rig on his chest. What’s great is that you can hear the riders chatting as they go. Typical short breath banter with a sprinkle of good natured smack. Makes me long for the years when I could hang with local rides and occasionally finish with the front group. Those days are long gone, so being able to ride along vicariously on YT is a pleasure.

Phil “Worst retirement ever” Gaimon also joins the ride and puts in a creditable effort.

1 Like

nice, I started Friday group rides with my neighbor. so we are two in the group usually, occasionally three :smile: but its fun.

need to take my ride to the service as it is slowly falling apart. its old one.

2 Likes

I managed to keep up a fairly regular set of Zwift rides over the winter between 20 and 30km each, a few times a week. Had my first sprint outdoor ride yesterday, a casual affair with some work peeps touring around the city - maybe 40km at a sedate pace. Looking forward to being outdoors more and working on my cardio :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m having wonky heart rate issues right now, as in 70w puts me in zone 3-4, 100w zone 5 and way over my theoretical max. I’ve tried 4 different HRMs and yes, been to my cardiologist. All of my tests come back normal, including a plac scan. I’ve had one normal day out of the last 5 or 6 rides. That’s like 100w is zone 2 and 200w zone 3-4 with a max output of 425-450w. I’m 66, so not going to produce much more than that unless I ride 4-5 days a week.

Anyway, no one knows what’s going on so I’m taking it pretty easy. I was looking forward to getting back into some Zwift group rides, but my ticker is misbehaving. I hope that January’s COVID didn’t leave me with a cardiac issue. Let you know how it goes.

4 Likes

Is that sustained, does it drop after a time? How about walking, or is it just cycling?

Have you had a blood test? My sister had an over active thyroid which did something similar. Just walking around the room had her in zone 3. She had to have her thyroid nuked with radiation treatment in the end.

1 Like

It’s with any type of workout. I just had a full physical which came back normal. If I soft pedal, like at 50w, it drops down to about 90-95, but as soon as I either up the cadence or wattage, it climbs right back up there.

The other sport that I do 2 - 3 days a week is pickleball. You may not know what that is, but it’s all the rage in the US right now. If I’m playing with people my age, it’s pretty chill, but the demographics are quickly trending younger. Athletically young. So, have a had to stop twice in the last month to wait for heart rate to recover. Pretty embarrassing when playing with 30 somethings.

2 Likes

Sounds awful mate, if the dr’s don’t know what it is and your health is all clear, it has to be a good thing.

Are you keeping the soft pedalling going?

Here’s hoping you’re back cycling normally again soon.

1 Like

Looking forward to this on Netflix, from the same team who do Drive to Survive.

3 Likes

This is just mind boggling, causing another personal China scale reset.

19 minute rant. TLDR, the China bike share business was poorly planned and executed and became a major headache for municipalities.

1 Like