Daredevil 'Mad Mike' Hughes Killed In Crash Of Self-Made Rocket In Mojave Desert

If only it were so, I’d have less trouble landing Viggens on it… :thinking:

My concern with people of this ilk is that they seem oblivious to the impact that their actions have on others. From their friends and family who witnessed this tragic–dare I say stupid–event, to the Fire and Rescue people who had to clean up afterwards. (I bet there were some HAZMAT considerations and the likely grisly state of his remains)

2 Likes

Don’t know who’s in a greater state of denial; The one who thinks the planet is flat, or the one who thinks his Viggen landing abilities depends upon it… :rofl:

3 Likes

2018 launch

Could someone explain to me how he was going to prove the earth is flat by doing what he did please?

Without really knowing, I could imagine it was just for the publicity.

Building rockets he probably stumbled over some science on the way.

From what I understand, his ‘flat-earther’ theories were merely a publicity stunt, meant to generate buzz and attention, mostly on YouTube. It’s questionable as to whether or not he really believed it or was simply proving PT Barnum correct.

Ahhh…no…I cannot.

From the video, “…a self taught engineer…”. In other worlds, “a rank amateur”.

3 Likes

He would not have been able to achieve that even if he had reached the planned altitude and lived to tell the tale.

The Earth is pretty big (we are talking about more than 12000km of diameter here) so the curvature cannot be seen easily. And from 1500m or so of altitude (that was planned IIRC) you can’t really see any more of it than from the ground.
Then better stay on the ground, go somewhere on the coast where you can see a fair amount of water, and measure it there. A camera, binoculars, and a long spirit level could maybe suffice to tell that the Earth cannot be flat.

To see the curvature halfway well you need to fly at well above 10km of altitude. But even then it isn’t that clearly visible.
To see it clearly… people say that from the Concorde, at FL500+ it was clearly visible.

1 Like

You are absolutely correct. Even with the naked eye it is obvious; as a ship sailed over the horizon it goes “hull down”.

But the obvious and science do not detract these flat-earthers from coming up with ridiculous explanations as to why what you can see and prove, just isn’t so.

I did a long, deep YouTube dive one night a few months back…6 hours that, except for giving me background for this post, have proven no real value to me. In short, what the flat-earthers spew is not even pseudoscience. It is pure, unabashed nonsense. Their theories and explanations for things like the seasons or nighttime are often contradictory with each other…and lets not even get started about their description as to why planes can travel great circle routs, over a flat earth.

The interesting part is the invidious attitude towards those that disagree with them. The flame wars on non-Mudspike sim forums have nothing on these guys. Vicious stuff.

4 Likes

That’s why I’m leaning toward the theory that it was just a way to garner more publicity. I can imagine that building a rocket that would stay upright during launch and engine burn takes a certain amount of scientific understanding. Given that, how does one expose themselves to that knowledge without learning about the shuttle program, the ISS, SpaceX, or any number of multinational space projects, not to mention the day to day applications that you detail. It just doesn’t add up, unless of course he just longed for the world to see him as one crazy some biotch.

2 Likes

…or a lot of Googling…after all that’s how I learned how to land a Viggen. :open_mouth:

I’m thinking he might have really believed it. That video that had a few seconds of interviews with him…he seemed to be “knot kwite rite”

3 Likes

…low hanging fruit right there…:rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

We don’t need science to prove this - for on a flat Earth, cats would have pushed everything off and it would be barren.

8 Likes

Tongue-n-cheek

2 Likes

You know…he is correct about that… :thinking:

1 Like

why a rocket ship and not a regular old ship. If he didn’t fall off or hit some kinda of magical ice wall, then yay!

2 Likes

From this guy’s web site:

The World’s Greatest Daredevil

Come on now, we all know who the World’s Greatest Daredevil really is…a guy when knew when a stunt was just too dangerous.

3 Likes

I think it was something like you can’t go straight to the wall and the flat earth magnetic field makes straight lines circles so just going East/West/North/South causes you to…circumnavigate the disk.

2 Likes

I’m just going to pretend I didn’t spend a lot of years in school studying logic and just say ok and leave it at that.

2 Likes

Having watched the documentary , i was astonished at the lack of any attempt at professionalism or discipline with a life on the line .
Mishap after mishap , with the real kicker being his #2 running 100 yds or so back to the rocket after launch clearance-having forgotten to arm the parachutes (and incidentally , sans comms) !
Checklist anyone ?
Thankfully , that was the aborted launch , or 2 lives may have been lost .
You are absolutely right , the outcome was inevitable .

5 Likes