DCS 2.5 Update Thread (2018)

I don’t have a web cam, I may consider it though. I need to think about a proper HOTAS again too lol, just too few buttons on this one which was fine for Elite!

FXAA is post-processing AA. It’s not equivalent to MSAA which operates only on edges of polygons and instead operates on everything. In the early days, FXAA would even affect in-game text making it softer and harder to read if the fonts were small, leading to it being labeled a “blur filter”. It was the PC equivalent of smearing vasoline on the lens to make the actress look younger. :smiley:
MSAA only operates on edges, so things like transparent textures (such as leaves on a tree or the bars in a window) would be skipped. FXAA won’t skip it, but doesn’t do as good a job on the things MSAA will do.

AO is shadowing/lighting related, not AA. It makes things a lot more lifelike but has a performance hit depending on how much you crank it up (if there are levels available). Things like the shadow of a nose on a face not existing, being there but sharp, or looking realistic are what AO covers.

MFAA is an nvidia-only post-processing AA method controlled in drivers but not the game. I’m uncertain how it compares directly to FXAA but my impression is it works better if you have nvidia. AMD cards used to have SMAA, but I think in later years nvidia supports SMAA as well, but it’s not as popular.
Don’t use both at once, though. You can combine FXAA and MSAA or MFAA and MSAA. FXAA and MFAA both take less of a performance hit than MSAA, but they are just on/off and don’t have 2x/4x/8x/etc like MSAA does.

6 Likes

3 Likes

So how long has it been true that your AI wingman will land next to you when you decide to just put it down in a random spot? For some reason…I thought they always remained airborne just sort of hovering in the background. I was surprised when I landed that he landed as well. Guess he wanted in on the picnic…

Enjoying messing around on the “Shooting Range” mission - experimenting with the tree collisions…it is pretty cool that you can no longer send Vikhrs through the trees…you have to find a gap now!

6 Likes

So here’s a question.

How do people have their volume levels set in - game? Because I can never get it right when it comes to in - game sounds, TeamSpeak, and background music.

1 Like

I’d like to know that too. I almost always end up with cockpit and external noises being too loud and I struggle to hear over TS…

2 Likes

Windows Mixer is your friend. Well thats what I do :slight_smile: Sometimes flying in SP I just want the immersion that sound brings. MP I have to hear the radio’s. Generally as flight lead I have FM in SRS as flight freq, then monitoring UHF for MC and often we have a Victor channel in use so I use the windows mixer for better comms. Also TS has a slider for individuals that you can use to boost. Right click and see an adjust volume tab. The worst thing about flying the huey is having to have doors open otherwise it doesn’t look cool and your gunners can’t shoot. Also the Hear like helmet checkbox is useful to have on. It deadens the higher frequency sounds
:smiley:

3 Likes

You have to have the doors open for the racoon to enjoy himself…

https://i.imgur.com/ag2Gg8u.gifv

5 Likes

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve tried that, and I still can’t get everything to play nicely. I end up having to turn my system volume WAY DOWN to keep DCS from deafening me, but then I can’t hear any other system or program sounds.

1 Like

Personally I just dial down the in-game volume from the DCS options, not from the windows volume mixer.

3 Likes

TBH I have my settings set and they stay that way, works ok. I really wanted to point out the options. I am a deaf old coot so most stuff needs to be LOUD, a legacy of 30 years sitting in tractors :wink:

1 Like

I wear headphones for gaming with my trackclip pro. I just set DCS sounds to 25% across the board. Plenty loud for in game immersion but I can still hear TS.

But then I am not trying to fit external music into that equation. It’s a Vikhr party, not a dance party.

5 Likes

Why_not_both

2 Likes

I use speakers for DCS and a headset on a second sound device for comms.

I wish you could send in game comms and sidewinder growls to a second device…

2 Likes

That would be awesome. It would give the effect of hearing the sounds muffled a bit…but clear comms. Of course, my wife might object at the 2AM BRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTT!

3 Likes

Kamov cockpit upgrade?

8 track

• as an aside, in looking for an 8 track photo I could not get enough of this website. Just feeling and dealing the vibe in every way…
3 Likes

I’m trying to pick back up on my A-10C Training and it appears that the Maple Flag Missions have been updated to work with 2.5 (on first blush it appears that way anyway). I’m currently on Mission #3 of the Advanced Aircraft Training syllabus and it is pretty cool to know that trees block SAMs now…and you can truly use the treelines to your advantage (blink and you die though!)…

I’m gonna try to fly much of the rest in VR…

5 Likes

Well I’m giving up on 2.5 as even with everything on low and it looking terrible it still pauses and freezes so I’m going back to 1.5 where everything works fine for me.

How long is 1.5 going to be around though?

Its available as a stand alone instal but won’t get any updates