DCS 2.7 Discussion

Yeah just gave it a whirl in VR on several cloud presets. I can confirm said sorcery is true!

No jitters, but some shimmering at distant clouds. Might be an anti-aliasing issue. Cloud types on Ultra are :astonished:

1 Like

That was fun. Overall, a Nice Job to Eagle Dynamics.

In culinary terms I’d say it’s gone from, oh, lumpy mash potato’s to a chunky clam chowder. That’s on High. Ultra shows slightly more definition; the potato’s diced a bit more finely?

This is all in VR of course.

The sense of speed (SOS) is improved. Me like that. Even on High (vs Ultra). High and Ultra are all I tried. Was just more fun slipping virtual surlies (or is it surly’s?). 500 knots skipping along the cloud edges and I feel like I’m moving along pretty good.

A much more noticeable increase in aliasing of the clouds in High vs Ultra. I wasn’t that bothered with the ‘jumping clouds’ issue before; the aliasing is likely more noticeable now cuzz, well, it’s different and I’ve not adjusted yet.

MSAA is normally kryptonite on my GPU but in the case of clouds:High, MSAA: x2, no significant difference - the aliasing in the clouds was still quite noticeable. The overall scene however (cockpit, models, etc) was of course improved. MSAAx2 didn’t tank things as much as in the past though oddly. Haven’t used it in a long time.

Shader mod(s) do help me still: Kegety’s and the flat shadow thing.

i7 6700K at 4.5, 32 GB RAM, nVidia 1080 8GB VRAM, slight overclock. All water cooled. SSD drive dedicated to DCS.

1 Like

Clouds defitely look better in VR. More definition and no jitter at all. I don’t have the shimmering on distant clouds, at least not that I notice, but I also don’t run any MSAA since the Quest 2 seems to apply its own kind of antialiasing.

5 Likes

Flew a little today. Hurt like hell. Pinched nerve somewhere in my left buttock.

Man is this thing glorious. Zipping along in a viper surfing cloud… in full, working VR. It’s so good. Moved me to tears, the sheer glory of it. I can only imagine how it is to do this stuff for real, but I never dreamed I’d get this close.

8 Likes

Yes.

Yes X2!

And when [if?] I ever get a new system to smooth it out more…as J.Clampett woulds say, “Wee doggies!”

Tried dumb-ish bombing under a layer (080 BKN) then an IAP (HI-TACAN 21 at KLSV). That sense of speed is getting really close[er] to ideal (just a bit more definition in the clouds is all). The TACAN approach, well, I kinda started it bad (didn’t help that there’s a bug in the Hornet with the TACAN - it just freezes sometimes, at NTTR at least).

Haven’t even gone to the 'boat yet in weather. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

At the risk of waxing eloquently all over the place, and leaving a mess…

These clouds things have added a huge amount of ‘depth’ to the experience. We had depth in the cockpit and terrain for a while. Now that humongous other part of our world has it.

Really brings home the idea that I have to navigate! During the daytime anyway, now. Just did a PG mission with the BKN-5 preset (or was it 7?), bases about 4,800 - and I really appreciated knowing what the bases were reported as. To you RL aviators this is old hat I know.

I’ve actually gotten a teeny bit of vertigo for a second or two in the last few days. Something about the lighting? I never really got this before in VR, even at night. Interesting.

This is reminiscent of the thrill I had back about 1985 - with wireframe graphics and four colors, with a 2D monitor that could double as a boat anchor. But it was a revolution at the time. Can’t wait til this VR Revolution evolves another generation (or maybe two).

“2D is so 1980’s”

4 Likes

I always thought he was saying that until I heard Buddy Ebsen say during an interview that it was actually "Well Doggies. Was a real surprise to know that I had been hearing it wrong for all those years. :sunglasses:

Wheels

1 Like

DCS 2.7.1.7139 Open Beta

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.7.1.7139/

DCS World

• Fixed crash on simulation re-run after changing SSAA option
  • Fixed issues with clouds with SSAA x1.5
2 Likes

I agree. @fearlessfrog, @Fridge and I have been non-stop drooling over the terrain, clouds, and cloud shadow effects over the northern part of the UAE in the Liberation campaign we are wrapping up. The holes in the clouds and the dark patches and the feeling that you are really doing something sketchy when ducking under (particularly when under them…there be dragons!) really makes a difference. Coupled with the very dynamic nature of Liberation and the busy airspace and ground war…I think we are really pleased at where we’ve arrived. And VR just tops it all off. I’m so happy in VR now and on the rare occasion that I fire up the sim in 2D, it feels way different.

Our night missions off the carrier are honestly terrifying for those first few minutes. Even after that, it is very easy to get vertigo in the clouds if you don’t have a pretty good instrument scan (obviously the HUD makes that easier). In the very dynamic yank and bank times things can get interesting.

Love it.

6 Likes

Exactly my impression on the mission above last night. Dang, I was up til past 0100! - haven’t done that, gaming anyway, in a long time.

This may be my next sortie this evening!

Sidebar | Anybody else notice that the PG map runs pretty darn well, at least compared to Syria, Black Sea, and NTTR? I don’t have any others. Just curious as I seem to get the best, most smoothest ‘ride’ on this map.

Weekend News

• ED Team
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 hours ago

Artboard 1.png

04 June 2021

Dear Fighter Pilots, Partners and Friends, :pilotfly:

We are currently preparing the pre-order access for later this summer. Our work is focused on preparing the AH-64D Block II for Early Access release, based on a detailed design specification. These efforts are spread across all areas of module development, including art, systems, flight dynamics, AI, and more.

Thank you for your passion and support.

Yours sincerely,

Eagle Dynamics Team

DCS: AH-64D

Development Report

Hero1.png

The external model and cockpit are extraordinarily complex and time consuming. An enormous amount of research and work have gone into making these as detailed and accurate as possible. Special attention has been given to the pilot crew models and animations.

Hero2.png

Much of the avionics work focuses on the navigation system and TSD pages. This is in parallel with the IHADSS / PNVS / TADS, the Area Weapons System / Rocket Management Subsystem, Longbow Hellfire Modular Missile System with the AGM-114K.

Hero3.png

The Aircraft Survivability Equipment (ASE) is also in development. This incorporated the Radar Signal Detecting Set and the Common Missile Warning System (CMWS). These will be available at launch and greatly increase mission survivability.

Hero4.png

The flight model is progressing nicely, and we are now developing the flight augmentation systems that include SCAS and HOLD modes. Modeling of the T700 GE 701D EDECU engine and related systems is underway.

Thank you again for your passion and support,

Your sincerely,

Artboard 2.png

8 Likes

I wish I could fly those things!

Closest I ever came was BS2, and that could only be called flying if you could call “white knuckled barely contained oscillations between autopilot modes” flying.

Still going to buy it anyhow, too many Longbow 2 memories not to. Maybe if that AI actually works out I can lots of time not actually flying anyway.

3 Likes

I’m very keen on the Apache. So many buttons and things to learn.

7 Likes

Yep! No more jumpy clouds.
Still no apparent difference between low and high, as far as I can tell.

1 Like

Two words: “Flight Director”

You mean that magenta thingy…?

Ah, yeah, I get it!

Oh right that button!

I vaguely remember trying that but I think I had already been too traumatized by all of the inadvertent sideways maneuvering, hovers that didn’t stop remotely where I was aiming them to and general tipping over that accompanied most missions.

No,
That’s how an LSO looks after you’ve taken LSD.