DCS 2.7 Discussion

If DCS goes to “world-wide” maps driven by satellite data, aren’t we limited to current date scenarios?
Meaning no WWII maps?

1 Like

Good point.
I don’t see world coverage happening either, at least not as a unified gameworld like MSFS.
It would also be unmanagable for the Dynamic Campaign module that’s in the works.
‘World coverage’ by means of maps is more logical imo.

I don’t see the worldwide map thing being a reality for some time (ie a long time). Maybe I read the intentions wrong from the ED crew but it sounded to me like it was more of an intention than a “we are developing this right now”.

According to Nineline it takes ED 3 months to integrate a new AI asset. It took Heatblur nearly 4 years to get the F-14 out. Other companies have had similar timelines. Things take time is my long winded point here and in 10 years when DCS is ready for the whole world it maybe a very different tech landscape.

While I’d LOVE the entire planet (this one, but a terraformed version of Mars might be nice too) it just seems like such a HUGE body of work that I can’t see ED pulling it off (for reasons mentioned above). And I’m fine with the current map MO. I just question their choice of maps (actually what seem to me to be strange omissions). I’d rather they work on performance, AI and assets, in that order, with their current scheme.

@piper
Yeah, WWII (or WWI for that matter) would be problematic. Another argument for ‘hand-crafted’ maps. Even though I’m not a WWII person.

My guess would be they will have high and low areas of detail, with the high detailed ones being the DCS module maps we have hand-built today. To get together the open and (probably importantly for ED) free elevation mesh and tile data for the world is not too difficult today, and there is so much more of it about than say 5 years ago - think ‘XP11 world’ rather than photogrammetry and streamed aerial photography data like MSFS. Those licenses are expensive.

The entire world mesh and rough repeating tiling should be less than 30 GB and there are good free datasets of this to use. They might even do it like XP11 does, and let you download the continents you want. I think ED would then say ‘We have the entire world in DCS’ and then it effectively ‘joins together’ the high detail maps we have so far. Procedural generation and smarter tech around the tiling is possible (rivers, vegetation, towns, shorelines, z10 level satellite datasets etc), so it won’t look terrible. They can then go on to fill out specific theatres as they think they can sell, including for different time periods. You’ll be able to take off from Sochi and land in Aleppo, and the mountains and scenery on the way will look pretty good I think.

7 Likes

:wink:

1 Like

Ding a-Ling a-Ling
I think this is the way a world map can be made for DCS.

People think about the extension of the current detail everywhere, instead of the more logical option of a low level relief detail for mountains united to a procedural generation of content.

That tech is available right now and would allow for the best option to the current maps, which is enlarging the boundaries of current maps rather than offering an overly detailed “rest of the world”.

4 Likes

Likely going to be a year/era modifier for WWII etc

Sure, but what would the use be?

Most DCS players aren’t going to haul ammo and fuel from the US to whatever warzone in real time.
Most want to fly a combat sortie or play a campaign with a given theme.
That works best on hand crafted, high detail maps of a given AO.

Now, a strategic world map module where politics, resources and supply would dictate the persistent status of a given map and where players interested in commanding the strategic war would be able to have control, that would be very interesting.
DCS Liberation on a global level with supply and demand.
Tie that to dedicated servers for each combat AO feeding data back to a central ‘strategic’ server and I don’t think I’d play anything else anymore.

4 Likes

I completely agree. These smallish handmade maps are perfect. Perhaps some sort of autogen for the areas outside them might help with scenarios like flying from Cyprus to Batumi but I really don’t see the cost/benefit for DCS for a whole world map thing like MSFS has. But that’s just my opinion, you know what those are like (“opinions are like arses, everybody has one and they usually stink!”)

2 Likes

Don’t worry, you’re entitled to your stinky one! :smiley:

Last time I checked this was a forum, so naturally we can post stuff here about what we think. Then others can respectfully argree or disagree and we can make conversation.

There’s already enough ‘if you don’t agree with me you’re against me’ going on everywhere else. Mudspike is our campfire of respect.

7 Likes

Amen brother :beers:

5 Likes

Rock and Stone!

1 Like

Although your idea makes a huge amount of sense, I note that the module maps (at least most of them?) we have are based on a flat projection rather than a proper spherical projection… I’m not sure but I’d say that would make them impossible to integrate into a “whole world” map given their size?

1 Like

Perhaps a major feature of DCS World 3? We’re on Black Shark 3 already, so it’s not impossible to imagine paying for map upgrades (that fit into the new v3 world) on existing areas - outside the free ones it’ll come with of course.

2 Likes

the DC is already said to be built on top of a new in depth RTS Engine.

1 Like

I wouldnae mind that at all.

2 Likes

I agree with @schurem. The world map would be a nice feature but the detailed and tailored maps we have at the moment are much more useful than the world being added.

In my head I absolutely love the idea of flying the Hercules into Brize Norton, loading up with some pallets of ammo and a couple of land rovers and then spinning up and heading to Cyprus to help the war effort.
But seriously, I work 15 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week. How many times am I realistically gonna be able to do that.

These much more focused maps are far better from a gameplay perspective. I’m not in any way arguing AGAINST the world map, it will of course have its many many uses and interesting ideas that will follow it (I fancy dropping a paveway on my old girlfriends farm) or running CAP above my house

I think the dynamic campaign will be the game changer for us along with the electronic warfare expansion.

5 Likes

I like the idea of X-Plane-like whole world update as mentioned already

make sense to me, especially with more third parties adding new pieces and even possible free tools like ‘ortho4dcs’

2 Likes

Call me sceptical, but I don’t think we can have both. The way ED seems to ‘rig’ maps for the upcoming Dynamic Campaign is to have their warehouse system with inventory management (already in) and overhaul passes on the map to establish capturable points (airports are already in, others not), bridges which link into the infrastructure by destroyed/good order status so the AI can calculate pathfinding (not in yet), etc. There is little chance we’ll see a global function for the dynamic campaign.
I think its safe to say that the dynamic campaign has a much higher priority than a global world mesh.
With the speed ED releases new stuff I don’t think I will see both features before I am well into my retirement and many older community members already buried. :relaxed:

4 Likes