DCS F-15C Combat guide for beginners by Sryan [very IMG heavy!]

Actually, it’s gonna be translated to korean. I’m not sure you know about it; as you wish, I’ll show you translation of it when I finished.

Once more, Thank you! @Sryan!

2 Likes

Just an FYI, just found this article, and its missing a bunch of photos because of Photo-buckets new policies. :frowning:

4 Likes

oh thanks for letting me know! I’ll ask the staff to help me fix it.

Thanks! I will take a look.

I think Photobucket have made a big mistake with that new policy.

yup, whatever market share they might have had is now presumed lost to imgur. They could have branded the images or something, I wouldn’t have minded.

The staff is hard at work getting everything fixed. Both here and in the article. @aileron if you don’t want to wait on us, and keep reading, you can also grab the PDF here: F-15 Combat Guide

Also big thanks that you registered just to tell us about this!

Alright, it should be all fixed up now! Many thanks to @fearlessfrog and @Fridge for the rapid aid!

1 Like

First of all I just want to say thank you for this excellent tutorial! I’ve gotten pretty good with the A-10A, and am now looking to get proficient with the F-15C before I think about trying any of the Russian planes.

I do have one question. There are a couple of areas where this guide differs from the game manual, and I just want to make sure I understand how the current version of the game is intended to work:

1. Pressing “6” also brings up FLOOD modes for the AIM-120 and AIM-7 in addition to some mode for the AIM-9. Not so much of a question, but just a point of clarification.
  2. The tutorial states that pressing “i” when already in mode “6” for the AIM-9 or Gun will enter another sub-mode that sounds like some sort of flood mode. However, none of this is mentioned in the manual. I haven’t been able to figure out if this is actually working in game or not. Is this currently implemented?

I guess in general, the use of the “6” key is still confusing me. What modes does it bring up for different weapons? Do I select the weapon before or after I’m in that mode? etc… If someone can clarify I would greatly appreciate it.

I’ll come back and do a more in depth explanation.

But FLOOD is not a generally applicable radar mode. it’s a specific guidance mode for the AIM-7 using an entirely separate part of the radar. The AIM-9 and AIM-120 have no FLOOD mode.

In FC3 aircraft “6” generally calls up a mode where the aircraft relies on the missile’s seeker to acquire a target. So with the AIM-9 and R-60M and R-73 you’re trying to fly the aircraft to a point the missile’s seeker can acquire exhaust and be fired. I’d imagine for the AIM-120 it’s setting you up to fire the missile “MADDOG”, which is where the missile activates it’s own seeker as it leaves the rail, and begins attempting to acquire a target.

1 Like

Thank you! That was a very helpful explanation and clears it up quite a bit.

Hey @malibu43 and welcome to these forums!

Like NB has already stated, FLOOD is only available for the AIM-7 sparrow. I decided to omit several things from my guide because I was running in to the character capability limit of the mudspike forums, and I wanted my guide to be sort of concise and to the point, and I believed discussing certain features would detract from that. Discussing the FLOOD mode was one of the features I decided to omit, the same goes for a feature that is being mentioned by NB, the so called MADDOG capability of the AMRAAM. An example of a feature that I’ve omitted that has not been mentioned at all is the base/distance functionality, that gives the pilot a certain amount of control of the range at wich the AMRAAM goes pitbull, because while the controls for it are implemented and the (afaik) correct HUD symbology is summoned, the actual functionality does not appear implemented.

What FLOOD really does is emit a lot of energy, not a specific target, but in a specific direction. A Sparrow missile in flight will then guide itself on the strongest reflection.

a MADDOG launch has already been explained by NB. The missile comes active off the rail. You did not lock up a target before you fired, and the missile immediatly activated its own radar, and will lock on to the first target it sees. For a MADDOG launch, simply press the weapon release key from the BVR “2” mode. Pressing 6 on a jet loaded with nothing but slammers should default to the NAV “1” mode. MADDOG may be available from the AACQ modes, but I do not know this from the top of my head.

Both of these functions are highly situational, and rarely the best method to conduct combat, wich is why they are omitted from the guide :slight_smile:

Like mentioned before, the AIM-9 has no flood mode (the sidewinder cannot receive radarsignals at all). What pressing “i” does after pressing 6 (for the sidewinder mode, not the AIM-7 flood mode) is activate seeker slaved mode. This activates your radar. When your radar spots a target, it will guide the seekerhead to the target, causing it to lock. While having this radar lock, the jet will also perform WEZ calculations for you, and add an extra tone to the seeker growl when you are in range of a sidewinder shot. This is currently fully implemented in the sim.

Hope this helped clear up a few things, let us know if you have any more questions, and thanks to @near_blind for the quick assist :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much! Much clearer now.

Now I just need to find a way to capture all this on my HOTAS cheat sheet for the F-15C so it makes sense next time I need a quick refresher in the heat of combat!

I ran into this on a youtube video today, I figured this is probably the most relevant place to post it.

It’s a tool showing a graphical representation of the scan volume of the radar of the F-15C in DCS. It allows you to change variables such as azimuth, elevation, TWS/RWS/STT, and visually see how it effects the radar energy and what it can - and can’t - see.

1 Like

I realize this is a very old post, but I found it incredibly helpful. I don’t know if Sryan will see this, but if so, I turned your post into an ebook (right now it’s in .mobi, but I can turn it into epub or whatever) for my own personal use. I’ll send you a copy if you’d like to have it. I won’t share it, of course, unless I gain permission to do so. Thanks for the great work.

5 Likes

Hey @gman1647, welcome to mudspike and I’m very glad to read that after all these years, my guide is still helping people :slight_smile:

Feel free to redistribute for free! As long as I’m attributed as the original author, I will be happy.

4 Likes

I still have this excellent guide in use as well. Its a fantastic resource for the F15. I think I’ve told you this before but you did a phenomenal job with this @Sryan

4 Likes

Wow! I am a newbie in the aircraft world, I downloaded DCS about a month ago and have about 100 hours in it according to Steam. I recently bought my first airplane, the F-15C and I watched some YouTube tutorials about it to get familiar. But I was still struggling to understand the Radar, and I didn’t know how all the different missiles that this plane can utilize differentiate. Your masterpiece of an article, @Sryan , has probably saved me TENS OF HOURS of trying to learn this plane by my own through trial and error, and through watching Grim Reapers videos about it lol.

Every tid-bit of information I wanted to know, and more, about the Strike Eagle you have taught me. Thank you so much for this! I am surely bookmarking it to my toolbar.

Happy late New Year!

10 Likes

Welcome aboard Sid! Good to see you are digging the fighter pilot stuff. The F-15C is the regular Eagle. It is purely optimized for air to air work. Not a pound for air to ground was the motto when they built that thing. Then they wanted to use them as a bomber, as every great fighter is also a great bomber, and they built the F-15E, the mighty strike eagle, the beagle, the mudhen. This is coming to DCS, but it’s going to be a while.

In the meantime, keep on shootin’ bandits mate!

2 Likes

Oh okay, thanks for the information. I’m already anticipating the release for the F-15E then. Do you know if it will be low fidelity or high fidelity once it comes out?

2 Likes

Very much a high fidelity module is the plan.

3 Likes