DCS F-16 Viper Mini Updates and Discussion

Hey everyone,

Wags has started a Mini-Updates thread over on the ED forums and I thought I would mirror those here (as much as I am able to) to allow us to view and discuss (in a sane and respectful manner) the contents.

I am looking forward to the Viper in DCS and I think that it and the Hornet are going to take almost all of my flight sim time in the near future. So, I will be somewhat fanboi-ish in my anticipation of the module, tempered with the assumptions that it will get here when it gets here :slight_smile:

Anyway, here is the first of the Mini-Updates:

ED Forum link:[here]

Hey everyone and welcome to this first post of Viper mini-updates! As the project progresses and different Viper elements come online, I’ll be posting here to keep you update-to-date as much as possible. Just like the Hornet mini-updates. One important note: any date or time frame mentioned is only a best estimate at the time of writing. Particularly over the past two years, we’ve been trying to be a lot more open about our plans and intentions. However, due to a variety of reasons like unforeseen technical challenges, staff changes, holidays, changing priorities, etc., plans can and will change. So, while we will try to be open and honest about our plans and intentions, but please bear in mind that these can and will change. The alternative is that we go radio silent until a feature is released into an Open Beta. Anyone, moving on…

For the first academic video, it will probably be regarding waypoint navigation and how it relates to the Data Entry Display (DED), Horizontal Situation Display (HSD), and HUD. Yay, more acronyms to learn! After that will be a talk about bullseye in the Viper. You might be thinking that a cold start video might make sense to lead off the academic series, but you would be wrong Doug Masters. The cold start sequence touches on a many element of the aircraft as a system and many of these systems will be under development from now and until early access release. As such, much of this can change, and coding to make it work now will probably need to be re-written later (very inefficient use of coding resources).

Much of the work now is focused on the engine (GE-129) and Digital Engine Control (DEC) with PRI and SEC modes, fuel system, electrical, hydraulics, oil, Jet Fuel Starter (JFS), landing gear, flight model basic envelope, Flight Control System (FLCS), NAV HUD and functions, initial Stores Management System (SMS), gauges including ADI and electronic HSI, external textures, tuning the cockpit, internal and external audio, and completing racks, adapters, and rails.

Once the external graphics are where we want them to be, we will release a stellar trailer video.

A critical aspect of building a simulation like this is the research. Such a complex aircraft requires a huge amount of data, but this must be in the confines of public documents without export controls. We have though located what we need, and much of what we are doing now is focused on working with Subject Matter Experts (SME) on appreciating the qualities of the aircraft that you never find documented. To that end, I was at Luke AFB yesterday with a retired F-16 pilot with over 4,200 hours in the Viper. He and the other Viper pilots I met at the squadron bar had amazing stories and insights into flying the Viper. I was also scheduled to have an hour in the big dome simulator at Luke AFB, but Lockheed Martin nixed the idea due to my mobility issues, bastards! All in all, it was a very interesting trip and I have more such trips planned this summer, with some Viper simulators time that should work out. Now, if I can just finagle myself into the backseat…

Stay tuned for the first academic video in July.

Thanks,
Wags

11 Likes

Viper Mini-Updates

Hey everyone and welcome to this first post of Viper mini-updates! As the project progresses and different Viper elements come online, I’ll be posting here to keep you update-to-date as much as possible. Just like the Hornet mini-updates. One important note: any date or time frame mentioned is only a best estimate at the time of writing. Particularly over the past two years, we’ve been trying to be a lot more open about our plans and intentions. However, due to a variety of reasons like unforeseen technical challenges, staff changes, holidays, changing priorities, etc., plans can and will change. So, while we will try to be open and honest about our plans and intentions, but please bear in mind that these can and will change. The alternative is that we go radio silent until a feature is released into an Open Beta. Anyhow, moving on…

For the first academic video, it will probably be regarding waypoint navigation and how it relates to the Data Entry Display (DED), Horizontal Situation Display (HSD), and HUD. Yay, more acronyms to learn! After that will be a talk about bullseye in the Viper. You might be thinking that a cold start video might make sense to lead off the academic series, but you would be wrong Doug Masters. The cold start sequence touches on a many element of the aircraft as a system and many of these systems will be under development from now and until early access release. As such, much of this can change, and coding to make it work now will probably need to be re-written later (very inefficient use of coding resources).

Much of the work now is focused on the engine (GE-129) and Digital Engine Control (DEC) with PRI and SEC modes, fuel system, electrical, hydraulics, oil, Jet Fuel Starter (JFS), landing gear, flight model basic envelope, Flight Control System (FLCS), NAV HUD and functions, initial Stores Management System (SMS), gauges including ADI and electronic HSI, external textures, tuning the cockpit, internal and external audio, and completing racks, adapters, and rails.

Once the external graphics are where we want them to be, we will release a stellar trailer video.

A critical aspect of building a simulation like this is the research. Such a complex aircraft requires a huge amount of data, but this must be in the confines of public documents without export controls. We have though located what we need, and much of what we are doing now is focused on working with Subject Matter Experts (SME) on appreciating the qualities of the aircraft that you never find documented. To that end, I was at Luke AFB yesterday with a retired F-16 pilot with over 4,200 hours in the Viper. He and the other Viper pilots I met at the squadron bar had amazing stories and insights into flying the Viper. I was also scheduled to have an hour in the big dome simulator at Luke AFB, but Lockheed Martin nixed the idea due to my mobility issues, bastards! All in all, it was a very interesting trip and I have more such trips planned this summer, with some Viper simulators time that should work out. Now, if I can just finagle myself into the backseat…

Stay tuned for the first academic video in July.

Thanks,
Wags

8 Likes

Full fidelity Su-34 DCS module confirmed! Sukhoi will get you in there Matt!! LM is so 2000 and late!

4 Likes

reference2

2 Likes

Not sure I understand the problem. If you can make a Hornet simulation, why the problem acquiring the equivalent amount of data for a C block F-16?

At any rate, good seeing a pic of Wags! I always liked him. Cheers Wags!

Not sure I understand your question…?

They have located what they need.

1 Like

chappy2

5 Likes

Me neither… Completely misread the post.

2 Likes

:rofl:

Happy to see it happens to others too…

2 Likes

Well, I have a shameful confession to make.

Although I purchased the binder Falcon 4.0 at release, purchased Allied Force and downloaded most of the BMSs, I have never gotten anywhere near completing a Falcon 4.0 campaign. Furthest I’ve gotten is maybe three missions in.

Mostly I just practiced systems in instant action, treating it kinda like DCS.

Part of the problem has been inability to stay focused for long enough. I’d learn the systems, and then work would ramp up, or kids, and by the time I got back to it, I would have to relearn. Sure, I would retain a foundation, could CCIP and shoot harms, but the campaign requires a more refined knowledge of systems. Also new versions changed things.

I’ve had more success with learning DCS planes for a number of reasons. One major help is the ability to build missions. It forces me to think more angles and then test them. The old standby; it’s way easier to learn a tool when you are trying to accomplish something with that tool.

So here’s a question. I’ll be buying DCS Viper. I’ll build missions for it and learn it. At that point, do we think that I would be able to jump into BMS and run through the campaign? Will the systems be similar enough?

1 Like

Heh. Good question. Should be. Right?

BMS has the TE (tactical engagement) builder that’ll give you some tools to design missions of your own. I’m sure a good deal of skills flying the jet in either sim will be transferable to the other.

It is difficult to say now but what is advertised expect there to be big differences in some of the avionics - there should be a lot similar with the CM. Also depends what you mean by jump in because the behaviour of AI, weapons and environment is different as well.

That wouldn’t hinder. Maybe make it a bit harder at first.

Not knowing how to program a data-cartridge type stuff is more what I had in mind. Cause I don’t want to sift through “DCS vs BMS” threads from a Google search, does anybody know if the block/version will be the same between the two?

Easy to do - as in change the values and save - not so easy to settle on MFD layouts or Countermeasure settings but that is something you can change over time. There are people that can help if you get stuck - I can even give you some pointers.

DCS is doing a 2007 F-16CM Block 50 (USAF only). Please note it is different to Block 50s from other countries, US Block 50s prior and after 2007 (avionics.weapons) and it most certainly is not a Block 50+ thus is unable to use CFTs.

The closest one in BMS will be the F-16CM/DM. I say closest because the BMS F-16CM is closer to CCIP phase 1 - whereas the DCS one is aiming at CCIP phase 3+ - thing is what we have in a few years will all change again.

Thanks!

I like the idea of mastering the DCS version first. Then play the BMS dynamic campaign. Then play the DCS dynamic campaign.

Seems like it should be a good progression.

So does BMS VR these days? :sadpanda:

1 Like

No. but sometimes I can not afford to be so removed from my environment. Those would be perfect times for BMSing.

I’m in no hurry though.

New Viper Pictures Up

nope. pix not showing on my end.