DCS Sim PostStart Freeze

Even without the MOOSE and AIRBOSS scripting, all mods uninstalled, it still happens on my end. One of those gremlins that just won’t go away.

Just helped a friend with a DCS problem the other evening. In his case a faulty texture set for the A-4 caused his A-4 and UH-60L mods not to be loaded, while others were fine. The dcs.log may contain traces for problems, but no guarantees. Good luck!

1 Like

@TeTeT mentioned something smart… try to post here the dcs.log file- might give us a clue.

1 Like

I can confirm that me and Clutch have been discussing this for a while now and the bug seems quite unresponsive to anything. I still get it these days but it seems more rarely. I can’t put my finger on what causes it though.

2 Likes

Yesterday the mission loaded fine, today it’s hung up again. Here’s a version of the mission without any lua scripting.

And two log files:

Attached mission hangup log: dcs-nomods-hang.log

Syria mission normal load log: dcs-normalload-Syria.log

In the hangup log, it always gets hung up on this:

ERROR WORLDGENERAL (Main): Error: Unit [F-14A-135-GR]: No cell for property records CELL#147 CELL#150 CELL#164 CELL#166 CELL#169 CELL#170 CELL#178 CELL#179 CELL#180 CELL#184 CELL#185.

But if you notice the mission that loads normally, the log looks like this:

ERROR WORLDGENERAL (Main): Error: Unit [F-14A-135-GR]: No cell for property records CELL#147 CELL#150 CELL#164 CELL#166 CELL#169 CELL#170 CELL#178 CELL#179 CELL#180 CELL#184 CELL#185.
INFO LUA (Main): Lua: States: 682, CPU load: 0.9%, Mem: 484.5 MB
INFO EDCORE (Main): Created game pool: h:2 n:2 l:2
INFO Dispatcher (Main): loadMission Done: Сontrol passed to the player

There’s no indication that I can see as to why in one mission it won’t load past that property records error while in another mission it works fine.

Sorry if I’m not too bright… allow me to ask a few questions.

So- it’s the same mission, both have no mods included, the one that hangs is loaded on the Marianas map and the one that works is loaded on the Syria map.

Q1) You have no problem loading any other mission on the Marianas?

I see a very similar amount of error messages in both…

Q2) Is it exactly the same mission? Because I would try this- open the Syria mission that loads, select everything and copy it to another terrain. Paste and run it.

Or delete a group of entities at a time and try to run it again. I would try a “Binary Partition tree” style- remove half the entities and see if it run, if it doesn’t reload the original mission and remove the other half- see if it run.

If it doesn’t run again- I’m out of ideas.
But if it does it means that in the half of the units you removed there’s a problem. Save the mission, select that half that causes problems and delete half of them.

And so on, and so forth.

I had a problem in a IRL Mil Sim, similar to that and that was the fastest way to nail down the problematic entity.

2 Likes

Yeah, trying Reflected’s Speed and Angels campaign missions they load fine. However in the past they’ve had the same hangups.

Q2) Is it exactly the same mission? Because I would try this- open the Syria mission that loads, select everything and copy it to another terrain. Paste and run it.

More or less the same mission; or variations of that same mission. How do I copy everything from one mission into another on a diffrent terrain?

Deleting all deck crew and tugs fixes it. Putting them back on and the mission runs okay for a bit, then it chokes again.

You have my attention here too :slight_smile:

:grimacing: I might have a problem there… I know I can do it with the real life milsim I was talking about but not here…

Apologies. :joy:

So … the last error in the log file is possibly not relevant. Seeing as the error occurs in both, I would argue that it isn’t the problem. Frustrating as it is, that’s the nature of debugging through log files. I was doing my usual strategy of comparing both logs but then noticed that it was two different maps, which makes it a challenge because there are a lot of other warnings and errors in there that take time to discount.

In this case I would guess that in the failed log, the system is bogged down attempting to process something (maybe even in an infinite loop) that it can’t handle and isn’t catching itself on. And that is preventing it from updating the log. In the case of the log from the successful load, you will note that the very next message is a status message from the Lua thread, right before control of the game includes the player:

LUA (Main): Lua: States: 682, CPU load: 0.9%, Mem: 484.5 MB
EDCORE (Main): Created game pool: h:2 n:2 l:2
Dispatcher (Main): loadMission Done: Сontrol passed to the player

Given that, and looking at most of the errors above that line and finding similar errors in the success log, I don’t think that the error is in the log. It may be. It’s just not jumping out at me.

Remember that there are many types of errors. Most that get reported in these logs are ‘recoverable’ - meaning that the system can throw in a default or something and keep going without bringing everything to a halt.

In this case, the best I can offer is that something is happening that is causing the Lua processing to ‘neve’ get to the point where it can allow the system to hand off control to the player. You can try running the mission again, and leaving it over night or something and see if it eventually generates an error… But it may never.

2 Likes

Now it’s happening with other missions like those output by DEPLOYED. Except I can’t see where the hangup is because there’s no loading screen in VR. In 2D it seems to load fine, and only hangs in VR. Same issue as above, except the lines in the log are different, just saying it started/finished loading an animation and then the log just stops, DCS.exe stops responding. I can only get in the pit once every 5~6 runs of the missions.