DCS: speed perception, world scale, scaling at distance

Good points.

And I remembered one more when flying really low in a jet: more turbulence.
There was an awesome video by Mover on YT in which he flew the F/A-18 and you could see the plane vibrating and shaking.
In DCS the ride is relatively smooth which takes away from the “low and fast” sensation a bit.

3 Likes

Of course, cameras shake more than your head does. You can compensate more easily with your head than your hands.

I’ve also noticed that when I’ve sat in a real plane’s cockpit, my view over the nose, while notionally smaller than some of the fighters in DCS, offered me more visibility than I get even in the F-16. I see farther, I get more out of peripheral vision, contrast is better (picking things out at a distance on the ground so much easier IRL than in sims), and of course, there is no pixel-crawling in a real plane. If you see one thing moving against another thing, it’s actually moving–it’s not possibly an aliased texture swimming along.

3 Likes

Thanks all for feedback.

I saw also one of C.W.Lemoine videos trying DCS and he did not mention anything weird… so it is probably my perception only.

I asked Mr. Lemoine if it was the apocalypse and you happened upon a Hornet C in the wilds if the game was accurate enough to allow you to start it.

He said yes and no. Startup is right on the money, so yes there, but you’d need a ladder.

Doh!

4 Likes

It is a carrier jet. They all have boarding ladders that can be operated from the outside. Otherwise the maintenance guys would never be able to get into the cockpit on a crowded flight deck…no room for external ladders. @Anklebiter, you would be saved! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hot damn, if the opportunity ever arises I will certainly give it a go!

Never flown a real anything, but bet I could take off and land. Not on a carrier, mind you, but on an airfield. I get that a sim is absolutely nothing like the real deal, but knowing the instruments should get me there.

Bet I could do it. Maybe ED could sponsor a marketing stunt.

1 Like

It’s been done even without the sim experience. Not sure what it is about England but I recall one instance where a crewman launched a British Lightening (no easy plane, that) and landed. His flight was maybe intentional, I don’t recall. Another time a mechanic doing an engine run accidentally took off in a Harrier and brought her back with nary a scratch. You’d be fine I bet @Anklebiter

1 Like

They are trying to escape that food. But then remember that the beer and pubs are kinda cool, so they come back immediately.

(Running away now…]

2 Likes

That would be serious puckerage…

There ya go, mate.

5 Likes

Jeez that was a terrifying read. Stuck throttle in afterburner…nightmare fuel!

3 Likes

You sir are far behind the times. It is true that in the none-too-distant past, England was a food desert (although the soups were always good back then). Today, the UK is a foodie’s dream. And not just Indian. Just about any cuisine you can think of, including modern English itself, is surprisingly great.

Regarding Mr. Holden, in a more just world he would have been given a flight slot. (Although I could see where that might inspire some copy-cat “heroic” behavior.)

2 Likes

I am. My last visit was about 20 years ago. I can’t wait to go back.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Beer’s darn good though.

That’s a terrifying test procedure!

This is taffy holdens lightning. With an obi for scale…

7 Likes

Guess what arrived in War Thunder?