Feedback for Flight Simulation - 2020

Sorry for the delay in responding. I use a 300W Fosi Audio MO-3 (Mono amp).

If @jross were a FPS player…

4 Likes

2 Likes

But seriously…

Over time I’m finding I tend to turn it down a bit, rarely every up. Think I’m more attuned to the feedback.

My only gripe about it over time is that I notice the latency (mentioned in the article) a little more than before. Still wouldn’t operate without it. Can’t, it’s that engaging, at least in VR.

Something might have changed with DCS, or the SeatShaker software but I detect about a 0.5 second delay on the G-feel effect now (if I had to guess I’d say it was about 0.25 when I first started using it). But yeah, I’m probably just more ‘tuned in’ now.

1 Like

I’ve been using the onboard sound card on my motherboard. Recently I have been experiencing problems with the right channel working rather intermittently… I thought it could be a cable or plug that was bad, so I decided to get new and slightly higher quality cables. While I was at it I thought I should get a new USB sound card so I could plug that into my USB hub that sits beneath my seat, that has the bass shakers.
The new sound card is just a cheap $20 USB plug with two 3.5mm contacts, but it’s definitely much better than the onboard card that I used previously. I noticed that the bass shakers suddenly were a lot weaker. I turned up the volume on the amplifier and could immediately feel a lot more variation in the vibrations.

jurassic park water GIF

3 Likes

Interesting. I found the opposite a while back. However, I updated the drivers (for the onboard sound) and, now that I look back, that was, maybe, about the time I noticed some latency. Now, where did I put that USB sound card…

1 Like

I was thinking about doing the same, but I suspected the right channel cut outs were probably due to a cable or plug. And moving the sound card to below the seat has the added benefit of shorter cables.

Do you have a plausible explanation as to why the signal level was that much weaker on the USB sound card, compared to the onboard?

If you mean weaker as in output I don’t know. It was, initially, a matter of latency, as I understand it; a more noticeable delay between action and feeling the effect of such (could be another source in the chain too). That was with the USB for the first few months. But I’ve not had the chance to retest [the USB card].

For me this might boil down to nothing more than I’m just more sensitive to it; been using this apparatus for 3 years now without fail. I find that I need less (like 1/2) power from the amp to…errr…stimulate me :grin:

Yeah. Same settings as with the onboard sound, I could barely feel the shakers when I used the USB sound. But then I turned up the Amp, and could feel more nuances in the vibrations.

It’s interesting: I guess my subconscious got to the point it expected something to happen when I yanked on the stick or mashed button-X. Imagine when you’re in your real plane and feeling absolutely nothing when you make some input. I’m to the point where it’s just “not right” without this gear. As mentioned before I do lose about 2-3 FPS with this installed but it’s worth it, even on my aging rig.

I just wish there was zero delay in the G-feel. Right now it’s at (or back to, see above) about 0.5 second delay (and again maybe I’m just hyper-sensitive to it now). I think the only way this might improve is if the output where handled directly by DCS and not having to go through Lua, then the SSA/SSSM, etc.

1 Like

Fancy motherboards’ sound cards often have high output level, to be compatible with high impedance headphones. While the sound card just does one thing well, and expects you to use an amp for higher output. So that could explain the level difference.

As for quality, the Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) is almost always better in a discrete card.

For the motherboard, the DAC quality can differ depending on which output is used. My mobo manual mentioned a high-quality output and I did easily notice the difference on my AKG K701 headphones.

1 Like

Ah! Didn’t know that. Thanks!

1 Like

Me too! It was especially annoying to have the right side go dead, in flight.
Having no feedback feels empty now.

Have tried changing the G onset slider?

Yeah. No diff.

I want to see the GUNNER HEAT version of this…

1 Like

I want to see the title of this thread changed to “Haptic Feedback for Flight Simulation”. :smiley:

I have a question for those using Simshaker:

I’ve been working the past few nights on adjusting levels, and gotten everything where I’m very happy with it (the g-onsets are amazing!), except for one thing:

When I crash, it’s like the apocalypse. :open_mouth: Tonight my whole sim jumped about three feet. It shakes my entire home, and wakes sleeping babies, and the sound produced continues for at least several seconds (I don’t know how long because I immediately begin attempting to interrupt it in panic. :rofl:

My question is, how the heck to I turn that effect off?! Which effect is it?

ETA: I’ve turned down “Failure and Damage”, and I think that might be it. The problem is I’m afraid to test it! If I crash and it’s not, I’ll risk a messy divorce or a crying baby. Maybe both. :expressionless:

2 Likes

I think you are correct “Failure and Damage”. I’ve not turned that setting on, likely for similar reasons, in a couple of years now and I get nothing harsh when I auger in.

Here’s the settings I’ve used for some time, for the Hornet (most others same):

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll work up the courage to crash tomorrow while the kids are at school. I’m totally loving this, thanks to you and everyone else who contributed to this thread (and the original article!). It’s really changed my sim experience!

Going from mono to stereo was a huge leap, I can now feel which wheel touches down first in a crosswind!

3 Likes

:rofl:

I had a similar experience…

2 Likes