Flight Back - Xmas in Antarctica, Easter at home

Funnily enough this is what I was thinking as I was planning the route. I realised that the airways go down the coast of North Africa I would fly over many of the key sites. I flew over El-Alamein as well.

Alec Guinness, that would be The Malta Story, a classic. They used to show all the old B&W war films every Sunday when I was growing up. The Cruel Sea, Angels One Five… Fabulous. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

GOOY Dakar - LXGB Gibraltar with small visit to Tenerife, Gran Canaria

Longer days alows for some nice views of the lady

All approaches to LXGB are either RADAR or VIS, so this time I chatted with the ATC. After some nice talks they pushed me low still on the Africa continent… until I realized that they thought I want to land at Tetouan GMTN…

So I pressed further north, and was allowed for VIS approach on rwy 09, so no hassle with ILS this time :relaxed:

And from LXGB it is just one last hop to go… so I almost feel the relief :sunglasses:

4 Likes

LMML → EDDM (Munich International)

Right from the off, this flight seemed to go really well. Planning was good, I’d selected an RNAV approach and checked the plates for Munich. With all the airways in Europe, there seemed to be a lot of programming to do, but this went well again with putting the airways in the FMC, which I’d not been able to do before. (probably down to my ineptitude)

Climbing out, Valletta in background.

Crossing Sicily

Flying up the spine of Italy, Venice top left

The weather started to deterioriate slightly as we got to the Alps with more cloud coming in. Still looks great in game though.

As I started the descent into Munich all was going well. It was slightly familiar as I’d been on a BA flight to Munich three weeks ago and from what I could tell was the approach we flew.

Lined up on 26R

I was at the right height to intercept the ILS and hit the ILS button on the autopilot. After a few nervous minutes, we’d picked up the glideslope and all was looking good.

Speed good, flaps down, gear down… AUT LND.

Piece of cake… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Need to work on the parking.

Having shut the aircraft down, I was elated. I almost feel like I know what I’m doing now.

One more leg to go…

5 Likes

Prepare for the last hop…

3 Likes

Having become familiar with an aircraft and having a flight going to plan, for the return I felt the need to inject a bit of chaos. Reading the reviews and seeing the great potential and opportunity for calamity, I decided to treat myself to the DC-6.

EDDM → EGLK (Blackbushe Airport)

The first hurdle I had to overcome was to work out how to program the flight plan into the Garmin. This took quite a while, but reviewing videos and a bit of reading I managed to get the everything sorted. I made good use of the get ready for flight aids, selected some flaps and opened the throttles.

The Douglas Hedgetrimmer

What a nice feeling to be in something a little slower, I thought as we rumbled down the runway. Pulling back on the stick I was expecting a gentle climb out, but this didn’t happen. With the hedges trimmed at the end of runway 26R and the plane safely retrieved back to the threshold, I had another go…

and another go…

Some time later and with nothing taller than the wing of the DC-6 at the end of the runway, I noticed the control column wasn’t moving. Lets have a look at the checklist, I knew it was there for a reason and not just to act as a coaster.

The control column lock was still engaged. :blush:

Removing this made all the difference and we were soon underway balancing the prop pitch and the throttles to get the best rate of climb.

We’re on our way home - nursing it up to 20,000ft

I spent a while trying to figure out the autopilot but having done what it said in the manual and still not getting the right result, I put the switches and levers back to the original positions and decided to leave well alone.

The trouble is with a long slow flight and all those buttons… nope. I resisted the urge and just stuck to following the course and enjoying the late evening sunshine.

Crossing the Belgium coast at Zeebrugge

Clacton-on-sea somewhere down below

Midhurst beacon in the descent

I began descending as I crossed the coast I knew approximately how long I would have to land once I reached Midhurst. Farnborough airport came and went on the right, then I misread the map and confused Odiham with my home aiport, its quite easy as they are all within a few miles of each other.

Turning finals - finally

Crossing the A30 on approach

Coming in to land at a nice approach speed, I put the DC-6 down for a lovely landing. There was no fanfare or anyone there to recognise the achievement, but I had a big grin on my face. I’d made it! Anarctic and back. Woohoo!

Home

Over the last four months, I’ve learnt a ton about air navigation, aircraft systems and have an even greater appreciation for everyone who does this for real. Thanks again to everyone who has participated in the flight out and flight back. I wouldn’t have started this crazy adventure without you.

I’ve had so much fun doing this, having spent pretty much all my civilian sim hours prior to this adventure flying back and forth between two airfields 70 odd miles apart, this has been something else.

A complete waste of time, but isn’t that what all great hobbies are about. :smile:

8 Likes

Some truly amazing Screenshots, here! :smiley: Nice!

1 Like

So have we…! What a great trip…

Its time also for me to close my round trip as both of you @Sine_Nomine and @keets are already home.

My last hop was rather straight forward from Gibraltar to Piestany. But I realized that I never been to LOWI, the famous Innsbruck.
So I quickly checked my direct plan and started to investigating how to mount there one touch 'n go in between. It ended like this in FSX - as I realized during the previous flight planning that I can easily use drag 'n drop on the FSX planing map.

Again nice weather. But I am not complaining this time. This is last flight so I want also you to enjoy it :slight_smile:

One last look back, and Africa is now just a nice memory

Time to engage the AP and get on course

And going down low, Alps are ready to devour us

LOWI in sight. Some last correction on the glideslope “I am here for the first time… and if I screw it also for the last” :innocent:

“There is no other way now, we will make it I am sure guys”

Successfully touched and going again. But this perspective looks indeed dramatic

Over the hills and far away

There was some serious thoughts put into this TP. But it worked out well.

And here we are finally above the familiar terrain again. It is virtual reality, but I really feel like coming home

Who needs ILS now? Skipping Piestany and going to full stop at LZTN Trencin. Home is home

Looking at the last pic I really feel like I have returned from a long trip. After logging many flights around our home airports thous grounds became familiar to us somehow.

It was great adventure. Thanks to all!

Looking forward to meeting you in another similar threads as I saw there some cool ideas already :wink:

3 Likes

@Sine_Nomine - Here here. :+1:

Well done @NEVO! Welcome home, great flight and great report. :slight_smile:

2 Likes