Games on external SSD?

Yeah, remember when the battery was removable, the HD had a slide out cover/access door, and the RAM had a nice panel covering it? Or a bit later when just a couple of screws held it in place, and you removed those and the panel just slid out and off giving you access?

Then APPLE happened. Suddenly, it’s only “cool” if it’s one smooth slab with a dozen tiny screws covering everything. Maybe it looks nice, but it’s a major pain to actually do any maintenance on it!

Imagine buying a car with no hood, no gas cap, no access from underneath–you have to remove the entire body to access the chassis for something as simple as an oil change, brake pads, battery, or even wiper fluid refill?

If that’s stupid for a car, why is it acceptable for a laptop??

4 Likes

I see you’ve never put spanners on a tesla or a BMW I3 lol.

2 Likes

Coworker at my old job had an Audi, changing the headlight bulb required a lift, pulling the wheel off, removing the wheel well liner, then snaking your arm in to headlamp and changing the bulb followed by the reverse procedure. Total charge was about $300 he said.

2 Likes

Yep, that sounds about right.

The masochism inherent in German engineers increases with the price of the car. I read somewhere that an oil change on a Bugatti Veyron costs something like $28,000.

1 Like

Difference with something like a veyron…or a ferrari or most exotics. Its not the job itself. Its the fact they CAN charge that. Nobody who can afford those cars cares about a 20 oil change or a 100k wheel and tyre set for a a veyron or chiron. With those sorts of motors they appreciate in value so much the maintenance is offset buy the profit

1 Like