Graphics card manufacturers - recomendations?

Well, you should do the decent thing… You should water cool it… I used a Kraken G-10 on my 980ti. Worked like a charm. However, I doubt you have room in your tiny case, witch brings us to the answer… The Case buddy, the case… Can you change it?

Well, I guess I could. I would probably need to buy a new motherboard and PSU to go with it though. I’ll have to check on the interwebs to see if anyone else has ported the guts of a G20 over to a bigger case. :slight_smile:

How about checking air flow. Simply reversing a fan can make a massive difference, as a big card like a 1080 and its fans can cause a disruption to air circ. I don’t own a 1080, but 60 degrees at idle seems a tad too warm

2 Likes

The case is a quite clever design really. Heat can escape out of the top of the unit. Cooler air is therefore drawn in from the base. There are a couple of cooling fans inside which keep things moving and the graphics card blows straight out the back. I think the design brief was for the unit to be compact and the cooling “good enough”. I really like the design, but it’s compact size means that not every graphics card will fit, and obviously, cooling options are kind of limited.

The 1080’s fan gets quite loud when it’s working hard. A new case with better ventilation and space is probably the best option.

Paul,
Just my opinion. 60 at idle is unacceptable and may lead to disaster. If your mobo is an atx size or mini atx, look for cases that will accept that size. My new 1080 runs at 31C idle and got through Fire Strike with a max temp of 47. But then again its water cooled. I got to go with Bogus here, you have a dead fan or a fan that is backwards. I installed my card last night and it ran at 80C. When I looked at the radiator, I had the exhaust fan backwards. The fans were facing each other. Duh!!! Corrected my mistake and got 47C in Firestrike. Check your stuff and maybe even upgrade your fans. Good luck brother.

1 Like

FWIW - my 1080 idles at 30C generally - I’ll see what it peaks at in game.

1 Like

So, just to see what effect it would have, I took the side panel off the PC to see what the extra ventilation would do for the temperature. It has settled at 54 (at idle). Some improvement but not as much as I had hoped for. With a little bit of fiddling with the fan curve, I am seeing 45 degrees at idle (fan at 40%)…

I might have to run it like this until I can come up with a more permanent solution.

It can happen that you may have a duff connection with card heatsinks. I have returned a card as it boiled water better than pixels

If you have removed the side of the case and temperature are not normal. Then airflow is not your issue. I would suggest talks with the retailer in view of possible rma.

Just remember if your card runs hot inside, it’s not just the card you are risking. . It can transfer heat by convection and direct touch to other components, which may not be a good thing as you can’t track the amount of ambient heat on other components. . Hope you get it resolved

1 Like

So, I’m feeling like a bit of an idiot. Some time ago I changed the power management mode setting in the Nvidia control panel to performance rather than adaptive. I just changed it back and now the GPU is idling at 32 degrees, admittedly with the case side still off. I’ll have to check it under load next and we will see how it does.

2 Likes

Wow, good find

Yeah, seriously! Thanks for sharing, @PaulRix!

Congratulations brother. Troubleshooting is part of our hobby. You’re doing it well. Hope you are out of the woods.
BTW, try putting a regular house fan blowing into the case. That could help…

1 Like

Sorry for the necro. I know that people browse the forum with the search function and I wanted to add a data point in case it might be helpful. I built this PC a few months back with VR as the target performance for the build. I have a 1080 GTX and i7700 and as of yesterday and Oculus. I didn’t know any better so I didn’t change any of my default high/visibility range Ultra settings before running DCS with the Rift. It runs Normandy and Vegas smoothly with those settings. In fact, I haven’t seen it struggle yet. Not bragging. Just helping. (I hope)

1 Like