Headed to London, York, and Edinburgh - Suggestions on things to see and do?

And note while you planespot that you can’t hear us. That’s the CDA at work.

2 Likes

If you’re going to use public transport in London, also bookmark www.tfl.gov.uk - it has information on everything including live service status and a pretty good route planner

All the suggestions for train apps and such, THANK YOU. Figuring out how to get around when you come from a part of the US where public transportation is non-existent is a bit daunting!

Oh yeah - that reminds me:

You can’t buy the Visitor Oyster card in London - you have to buy it online before you go. From memory that was the cheapest way to use the tube etc. but we missed out because we didn’t know (had to queue at the station and buy standard Oyster cards instead).

Cheapest… it depends.

You’ll pay a £5 admin fee with Oyster. If you have a contactless credit/debit card you can use that and not incur the charge. It all depends how much you intend to use the underground and whether you have bank charges for using a foreign currency.

If you do go for the Oyster card/contactless debit or credit card, don’t forget to “tap in” at the start of your journey and “tap out” when you leave the underground.

1 Like

…and don’t forget to “Mind the Gap”…evidently very important…:slightly_smiling_face:

Ah yes, the Gap bats :bat: be careful of those. :crazy_face:

YORK - Castle Museum in the centre, It has full streets from Victorian times and well worth it, especially if it’s raining. York…just walk round it, it’s got some amazing medieval streets anyway.

For what it’s worth, the IWM is free! And, it’s a short bike ride to the Thames, London Eye, Westminster, Buckingham, etc. I’d also suggest doing the Santander bike rental, made getting around that area easy and cheap. Bike lanes are much improved compared to US standards and, where we had just been, Paris. I’m no expert, by any means, but here’s some spots we enjoyed:

Thai food, beers.

Good spot we found for Sunday Roast.

I was searching for another spot for dinner but my memory is vague at that point and I can’t find it. :\ The spots above were winners though!