Health and Fitness Thread (2020)

There are OTHER cardio workouts that you could incorporate into those walks in the woods @BeachAV8R. :smirk:

Wheels

2 Likes

Yeah, you’ve mentioned this before, but I’m not winning at the weight game either. So will give it a try. I’m a little worried that I will overeat at lunch and then feel like a sloth after work, preventing me from getting in a good workout. Will take discipline.

My wife did this thing with a bunch of other American Airlines employees where they did an online course to gain a $100 credit or something in an effort by AA to bring down the health costs to both the employees and the company. Long and short of it was…they had a really interesting technique for eating where you eat slowly. Put the fork down between bites. Also, when you had multiple items on your plate. You would eat one food, when you were satisfied you’d sampled enough of it, you’d move on to another thing on your plate…but you weren’t allowed to go back to the food you left behind.

By slowing your eating, you allow your stomach time to register fullness apparently. It actually worked for a LOT of the employees. Of course…maintaining that kind of eating style over time is extremely difficult. But intermittent fasting, low carb, and a combination of other stuff can definitely work.

I just got in from an hour of chainsawing and moving logs around…now time to go on the walk with the wife.

7 Likes

Hey, that orange baby looks just like mine! Husqvarna right? Takin’ good care of it? Chainsaws need more TLC than bikes with derailleurs.

https://youtu.be/A52p9jc-gOo

But if you really want the woodwork to be a workout, do it with one of these babies:

Your arms will get sore, then huge. It’s a perfectly mindful job as every log is different and you need to aim every swing. A true zen experience imo. As much as I love my chainsaw, anytime I get the chance to swing the axe, I get this mad viking grin on my mug :smiley:

6 Likes

No idea they made x2 or x3. I’ve done 90x once and my physical condition at that time was the best in my life. But spending up to 90 minutes a day is a hefty toll.

1 Like

Yeah…that’s my Husqvarna Rancher. I love that thing. Had it for 11 years and hasn’t given me any trouble. But a new bar on it a few years back…sharpen the chain every so often, replace it about once every three years. It gets a workout here where we live.

Once my trees are felled and cut up into burnable lengths (18"), I split them by hand with a Fiskar’s splitting maul. Again…bought it over 10 years ago and it hasn’t given me any problems. I also have a Fiskar’s axe…but the maul seems to do better. We have fairly heavy wood here…mostly Oak and Hickory…great for burning, but if it is knotted up they can give fits. I’ve found it is always best to split in the coldest days of winter. The moisture freezes in the wood and the wood grain tends to fracture a bit easier. I looooove splitting wood…

1 Like

Yeah, they are great workouts that work the entire body over the week. X2 and X3 get progressively LESS intense. If I were to start them after a really long break from working out, I’d start with X3, which is 1/2 hour. Then move to X2 (1 hour) to bump the intensity up a bit. And then on to the original.
I found X3 is a good one to do doubles by adding runs or, when I’m racing, X3 is good because it doesn’t take so much out of you.
My favorite is X2. I’m 51 and just don’t hold up well with the intensity of the original and if my concentration slips a bit, I end up with some kind of injury.
My problem is I’ve been doing the workouts without following the recommended diet.

And, full disclosure, I ate Ice Cream after dinner. :frowning:

4 Likes

Man, I need that DeWalt ax. I have 3 daughters.

2 Likes

That is the most disturbing sentence I have ever read online. :grin:

1 Like

Ha, yeah, I should probably explain. No, it’s not so that I could make an impression on their future suitors. Although that’s probably not a bad idea, “I’d like to introduce you to my daddy, but he’s out back splitting logs.”

I was thinking more that our household’s 4 to 1 gender ratio so constantly exposes me to estrogen fueled drama, that I need a pile of logs and a good ax to split them with as a meditative method.

5 Likes

This has the potential to backfire, though.

I learned how to use an axe and a hatchet at a young age, ditto chainsaw. So you might get “Really? He need some help? Gotta watch out for that stuff when you get old, don’t want him cracking a rib!”*

*My maternal grandfather was still using his chainsaw at the age of 92.

4 Likes

The heat got to me good today, not exactly hotter than most days that I walked, so I’m going to chalk it up to the increased pace and wearing a heavier than usual long sleeved shirt. Usually try to keep to my jiu jitsu rash guard which is nice at working up a sweat but also cooling you down.

Will have to supplement a bit. Has anyone got/used this? Might actually get me to use my VR again

4 Likes

BoxVR is pretty good I’d say, and will give you a good workout, especially if you put some force into the punches. Also, some “classes” has quite a lot of bars, where you have to either squat or move sideways to avoid them.
It can be a bit repetitive though, but so can a treadmill I guess. There is also titles like Gorn and Pistol Whip to consider, if you want a more game focused workout?

1 Like

Sweat + VR heatset = gross. IMHO.

1 Like

Yeah that’s my problem too.
I definitely don’t want to work out with a VR headset on my head.

1 Like

With detachable and washable faceplates, its really not a big problem.
With some of the more active games like Gorn or Pistol-whip for instance, everyone who tried it here, have been pretty sweaty afterwards. Hence why I have bought three faceplates, so there’s always a fresh one.

1 Like

Well…at least all the tall grass is probably gone. :laughing: We want photos of this one! Please tell us your dad took some.

1 Like

Average heart rate of 133 seems high to me for a walk. That’s more like a running average for me. But I’m an old geezer.

1 Like

It’s not a casual walking pace.

This here is a typical “regular walk” pace

which is 5 minutes a mile slower in pace.

2 Likes