I must have missed a memo…DCS

No problemo!
Always handy that I keep the A-10C manual on my iPhone in the books app for a quick search. :salute:

If it gets confusing from there I can take some time to read through myself. Not sure if @Franze has played with the function - worth a shoutout!

You must have younger eyes! I’ve got all my manuals on my iPad …even then I have to zoom in a lot! :grimacing:

You just need a bigger iPad.
funny-apple-product (1)

2 Likes

It’s when it’s 3 black balls that we need to consider our proximity… :fireworks:

1 Like

And also a response to @Wes

From my reading, the CDU can add a WP or Anchor point, which you can name and add to a flight plan, and then have it appear in the HSI. Thus you can add an IP Example: in ME set up a JTAC, an ememy unit and an IP. Also add a normal flight plan, take off, WPs and land. Call it 5 WPs where near WP 2 is the JTAC, enemy. And a few miles away, the IP. Once in the cockpit, add a WP 6, at the location of the IP. When you start working with the JTAC, the IP is referenced and you get a visual representation on the HSI and, if selected, on the HUD. Not at my computer now, but I am pretty sure that will work.

That said, I found this in my research - a format for a full 9-line.

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=43043&d=1286623016

Note that lines 1,2,3 are all about the IP and the target’ location to the IP.

…and what does every JTAC in DCS report when reading a 9-line? “1,2,3 N/A”. I guess that there are some “bones” in the system to use IPs with 9-lines but not the “digital code muscles” as it were to make it work ATT. Regardless, just being able to see the IP on the HSI shoul help SA.

That said, I also really like @Gunnyhighway’s idea of using prominent landmarks as IPs.

Ah yes, the day shape for vessel at anchor. Hadn’t thought of that. Very good! :slightly_smiling_face:

…but not at all the meaning I was going for.

EDIT: My previous avatar was simply a black dot. Now that have changed it, this conversation doesn’t really make sense. Trust me, @Sine_Nomine was set on with his previous comment.

I have another document covering 9 lines I will post up when I dig it up again. I have been working in the garage all evening!

Are you turning your garage into a full scale B737 pit? :grinning:

That would be great. I am really into the JTAC/AFAC thing right now. I especially like how you can use a UAV as an AFAC. A Pred at 10K ft AGL is practically invisible…should be practically invisible as the insurgents with SA-18s are all looking at it…need to experiment some with Invisible and/or Immortal… thought I heard in a YT that you can set one or the other. I set both which may be why the enemy can see it. Or is invisible no longer working? A question for a different thread.

Here is what I had found way back:

Document Page #48 / File Page 60

1 Like

In that vein - I may have missed the memo on the Kuznetsov as updated in the Supercarrier module - I took the Su-33 around the pattern a few times a couple days ago and I could not see the FLOLS lights on the new Kuz on short final (is that what they are called?) - nor was there a pop up FLOLS display (I’ve seen it abbreviated IFLOLS and FLOLS…still not sure what the distinction there is either). Is anyone seeing that pop up or is that something that will be added later for the Kuz or Su-33?

For that matter…is that pop-up box aircraft specific or if you fly an F-16 on short final does it pop up automatically regardless of type? If nobody has a quick answer, I’ll try it out in a bit…

OK - it’s actually called the Luna-3 system, but the manual does not imply that it also has a pop-up to help with long distance lineup…

From what I understand, the added I simply adds “improved” to the fresnel lens optical landing system. It was mostly a technical upgrade, making it possible to see the ball further out with no other differences ( Boomerang, Hangar, Navynuke or someone else may know better).

I think the pop-up works regardless of aircraft type, but none other than the Nimitz family currently has that IFLOLS pop-up. The LSO tried to grade my AV8B landing on the Tarawa recently (being very unamused that I landed it as if it were a VTOL), but I don’t get an IFLOLS pop-up there either.

1 Like

The lights were tweaked with the update. I don’t believe they turn on unless you contact atc to land. I tested it with AI and they are off until you make an ai land on it. The lights are also very very dim, likely affected by the recent changes to lights.

The tarawa has issues with its landing lights now also.

1 Like

I think @Franze got the popup while trying to land the Viggen on the SC.

1 Like

I tend to use the A-10C as a product improved A-10A and the most I’ve done is move a waypoint with the CDU for JDAM coords (because I don’t like wasting a hardpoint for the TGP when most of my drops are not PGMs).

Yup, I didn’t even make a request to land, I just made an approach and it automatically came up.

I found this in the NATOPS LANDING SIGNAL OFFICER MANUAL.

MK 8 FLOLS
MK 14 IFLOLS

3.3.3.1 MK 8/ MK 14 Differences

The MK 14 IFLOLS does not have roll angle adjustment like the MK 8 MOD 0, the MK 14 is fixed in roll as is the MK 8 MOD 1. This results in different touchdown points for aircraft of different hook-to-eyes. The MK14 IFLOLS has a separate intensity control for the two low cells (red). Additionally the MK 14 low cells (red) can be flashed at 45 flashes per minute like the MK 13 Shipboard IFLOLS. The MK 14 is a taller display, a six foot tall source box verses a four foot tall source box for the MK 8. This results in the MK 14 being 50-percent more sensitive than the MK 8. MK 8 pilots using the MK 14 IFLOLS, for the first time, may over control the approach. Pilots familiar with the MK 14 but making an approach to the MK 8 might not respond quickly enough to indicated glideslope deviations. The taller MK 14 display results in the system being physically higher than the MK 8 and the MK 14 may have to be removed or relocated from the runway for widebody operations.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that in recent Open Beta versions, if you kill a scenery object, it no longer gives its name in the mission debrief …not that I was keeping a tally of light post kills, just say’n.

On a related subject, is there any way (and by “any way” I assume some Lua function) to detect and or record a “kill” on a scenery object?

I note with interest that, in the ME, if you right click on a scenery object you get an “assign to” prompt which if you proceed with it, it gives you a Zone around the scenery object and some additional data in the zone’s info box. Any of these bits of info useful in identifying the scenery object to record a kind of “Unit Dead” trigger?

Did I mention I’m waiting on my oil change and have nothing better to do that post trivial questions?

This has me curious. Am now investigating; so far only useful link is: Condition | (Dev) Dead Zone. I need a reason to blow something up so here goes…

Yes, scenery objects can be found and identified via getLife, but there should also be trigger functions to locate scenery object status as well.

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/DCS_Class_Scenery_Object

Digging this one back up.

A few weeks ago (may have been longer) I was testing some of my scripts using the DCS JTAC. Wasn’t really doing a JTAC mission; just wanted to make sure I could ‘connect’ with it via a script and such.

Heard something odd and it [the JTAC] gave me a fix reference (IP) with a name but a REALLY long distance away (over 1,200 NM!). Brushed it off as I was deep into something else.

I understood it to work only with the A10. But, while re-visiting that script, it is using other aircraft now (was in the A-4E, worked in the Hornet too). As mentioned above you only have 8 names . I managed to expose a bug I think in the DCS code with this but but not a big deal as it’s easy to work around it.

Of course since my scripts move things around I can put them where needed programmatically. Which is good.

Tells me they are still picking away at things. Perhaps they put it in a news letter or update log but I never saw it.

1 Like