IL-2 BoS VR is MAGNIFICENT!

I’m up for sending a squad to Stuka’s on a bombing mission with sirens blaring! *I may also keep the siren on when i taxi, take-off, in-route and for the landing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tried it…
Bloody awesome…!
Well done 777!

How do I turn off the chaperone blue line in SteamVR? I looked for it in the SteamVR app.

So, what settings affect VR performance? SSAO?
I dialed back to ‘balanced’ graphics and got a steady 90FPS.

Two things about this updates makes me sad…

The first is that it reminds me of how incredibly cool Rise of Flight would be in VR.
@777Studios_Jason, I’ll gladly buy all the planes in RoF again. Pleeeease!

The second thing that makes me sad is we’re leaving on a easter trip to the inlaws tomorrow… No more IL-2 VR until next week. I could fake illness, but my daughter will celebrate her 7th birthday while we’re there. She wins…barely…! :wink:
Oh well! I got to try it out at least.

1 Like

Troll,

I believe there is a registry hack that can be done to remove the blue chaperone. try Googling it.

Glad you like it. Enjoy the in-laws and I wish you daughter happy birthday. I’m an April kid too. :slight_smile:

Jason

4 Likes

Thanks, Jason!
My congratulations to you and the team for knocking this VR update out of the park!

+2 yes please :slight_smile:

1 Like

On phone, might be inaccurate :slight_smile: but you can do a couple of ways:

• Steam VR / Settings / Chaperone / setting = ‘Developer’, but that leaves the floor box (not that noticeable). On the Rift touch controllers, press the left ‘properties’ button (under the X) to get to settings dash.

• Do a Steam VR set-up, but choose the ‘Standing/Seated’ option, and it’ll remove chaperone graphics after about 10 seconds of sitting down.

• Steam install directory, config/steamvr.vrsettings - set CollisionBoundsColorGammaA to 0 (it makes it all go invisible) but google check this one, as not 100% sure.

EDIT: For the last one, in the steamvr.settings put the following in as a line to completely remove chaperone (although don’t bump your head and blame me :vr: ):

1 Like

Huge fun with turrets in VR - I can see Multiplayer single plane is going to be hilarious. I would love to fill up a HE-111 with mudspikes!

To get it set up in VR I did the following:

• Settings / Key Bindings / Pilot Head Control set the ‘Bow pilot head vertically’ and ‘Turn pilot head horizontally’ to a control, as for me they were blank by default I think. For turrets I chose the mouse X and mouse Y, but will play around with joystick axis too. Make sure the ‘Turn gunners head horizontally’ is cleared of a value.

• Default controls are(old news to BoS people, but new to me, best put these on a hotas) are:

Control + C = change to next aircraft station.
T = Grab turret/gun control
Shift + T = Put eye down to gun level (works best to shut one eye in VR to aim nicely)

You can also use Shift + C to switch ‘inter-station’, i.e. the two waist gunners on the HE-111 between the left and right one.

So @BeachAV8R, you can ride backwards in my Stuka for hours at a time now. :wink: Great fun!

2 Likes

On the Mudspikers bomber- do you need to own the plane to man the turrets? Or is it like in Rise of Flight?

It’s different to RoF, in that the ‘Battle of Stalingrad’ gets you a base of 8 flyables and one single player map. The HE-111 (with 5 slots) is one of those for example. You can buy individual planes (Premium ones), but otherwise it all just adds to a single install, e.g. buy Battle of Moscow and then you get those 8 planes plus another single player map/campaign just added to your install.

If we were to organize a MP then personally I prefer the BoS plane set (slightly later period), but open to ideas. One interesting thing is that even if you don’t own BoM, you can still play on the map in Multiplayer. The is also early access Battle of Kuban as well, which is 10 more planes (as it’s a premium edition, so 8 standard plus the 2 premium).

I don’t know for sure if in MP you can switch into a plane you don’t own, but would be surprised if you could. Anyone know? More details of what planes etc here:

MAGNIFICENT eh? Well I had better start downloading then.

1 Like

**Fantastic Job…It’s an incredibly Beautiful Sim. Hats off to The very talented IL*2 Team. **

Am I supposed to be buying this on Steam or from the sale site? Because it isn’t on sale on Steam…?

Direct from the site. Sale is only from the site and all the money goes to Devs.

2 Likes

It was on sale on steam until yesterday I believe. But ya, now it’s just the site. I think this functions the same as RoF in that if you start on one platform (e.g. steam or site), you need to buy future modules from the same, no mix matching. But I might be wrong.

No, that would be the IL-2 Sturmovik, the Warthog’s grandfather.

Waiting at the login screen now what seems like about 20 mins…

Flying in I-16 using VR sure makes me hope RoF 2.0 will come out.

2 Likes

I think you can mix with this one, but the only rules is that with the Steam edition you need to have BoS to be able buy BoM, while on the stand alone it doesn’t matter. You can buy stuff on the 1C/777 site and it activates in the Steam edition I’m pretty sure - as it is basically unlock codes for premium planes etc.

For VR you’ll need Steam VR installed (as in the Steam client) and the standalone and Steam versions all update the same day, so it doesn’t really matter. As @Tankerwade says, 1C/777 would probably prefer not to give Gaben his 30% toll. The download is < 10 GB all in I’m pretty sure.

Wanted this for a while… tempted to pick up Stalingrad. Not sure on the others. The $$ is real.

Oh didn’t even think of using the I-16 as a stand in. Maybe I’ll get a big desk fan blowing in my face to add to the immersion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ordered both Premium Editions…I can’t believe I just spent $90 on WWII content…

5 Likes