IL-2 Great Battles Dev News

Well I haven’t been building PCs since the ‘80’s and I mostly have no idea what you all are talking about :grin:. What I do know is the Kuban is running beautifully in VR on my end so far. I have taken some really long flights to try to compare it to DCS’ Georgia and mostly don’t recognize one in the other. There are far more buildings, industry and roads in DCS. This could mostly be just a sign of the timeframe each map is portraying. No surprise that IL2 has far more terrain detail with ragged cliffs and tree-carpeted hills that are on par with or perhaps even better than Normandy. The waves rolling onshore in IL2 look really nice and exceed anything I have seen so far in a flight sim. Where I found the difference between the two maps most jarring was in how the snow-covered granite peaks between Sochi and Maykop are detailed. Kuban has the details down to just a few meters in resolution. I flew through the same area in Google Earth and found it to be mostly identical to Kuban as was the flight down the Belaya river valley into Maykop. When ED brings Georgia up to Normandy’s standard, it will be an interesting comparison.

All the planes I have flown are now much easier to fly and fire from. I won’t say “too easy” because I will never know. However, I think I am going to miss the way I used to catch my breath slightly during the takeoff roll and initial climb in the MiG-3. Wheel landings are now harder and for now I am sticking with 3-pointers–not a bad policy in the real world either. The good news is that off-airport landings are more often damage-free than not. I can’t recall ever successfully doing one before.

2 Likes

I don’t know either, just install it on whatever HDD you have, throw more memory at it, just fly it.

So, many who know me are aware of my love for the P-47. But I also love medium bombers, particularly the B-25, and, in keeping with this thread’s subject, the JU-88. Medium bombers - just big enough to need multiple crew members working together and a big enough bomb load to make a difference, but maneuverable enough to be flown tactically for strikes against specific targets. Just don’t get caught out in the open. But the need for fighter support just makes them more interesting, not less.

The Ju-88. Level bomb, dive bomb, torpedoes, it could do it all and fast too. Such an interesting cockpit arrangement. The classic argument for the question is it better to have a lot of glass for visibility, or less glass for lower SA and better protection.

On the apron. Look at the stressed metal on the wing leading edges and striped balloon tires you will only see on Luftwaffe aircraft. Really nice.

All that glass…

The 88 is actually quite easy to taxi due to the bombardier glass available to the pilot

Lined up for launch. The ground handling is much more enjoyable to work now. I would rather launch and fly a bunch of aircraft in multi than spend hours talking through the quirks of getting off the ground. Original IL-2 was built around this accessibility and it is nice to have it return here.

Wheels up

I would like to think that @chipwich and I feel the same about this - How dare they run trains as if there isn’t a war on…

So…that’s a populated neighborhood Tanker…

One engine without a set of cars behind it

It’s never pretty.

Turning for home. Look at all that glass!

Umm the train had teeth…!

Ok not good…port gear is still up…

Really not good

Everybody walks away. Pasted the ever living crap out of that train though…

10 Likes

Busting up some artillery

The German Beaufighter

This terrain is seriously pretty

Even the ground level mesh is super detailed (don’t ask)

10 Likes

You still have Il-2 46 installed and you DON’T have the noCD file that became de rigeur around 2010?!?

I have 46+TD updates, CloD w/TF, and BoS/BoM installed myself, and I’ve not needed a disc in the drive to play a game since…uhhh…Wow I’m totally blanking here. So many of my old games that needed them I bought on a Steam sale super cheap, like the Tom Clancy games or what not.

It might be No One Lives Forever 2, as that game never got a digital release thanks to legal convolutions. :frowning:

Anyway–bottom line is there is a single file you can DL to make 46 not need the CD, or if your conscience won’t allow it (as I bought the original game, FB, Aces, PF, and finally 46 I had ZERO qualms about it) you can rebuy 46 on Steam cheap (especially during the summer/fall/winter sales) and forget about the disc either way.

Somehow I managed to fly my Il2- BOS. Played for a straight hour last night… after wife went to bed… sigh

2 Likes

Flight sims, the intimacy killer LOL.

@Tankerwade’s last screen reminded me of well the ground war can be integrated will both single and multiplayer scenarios.

:pensive: At least I have Il2-BoS…

I don’t need a noCD file, as I use the GoG version of 46. In fact, I don’t need that, either, as I just copy it from my back-up drive directly onto my gaming drive, as no installer is required :wink: 3 versions complete - default/TM; HSFX, DBW and all the plethora of other little bits’n’bobs.

The disc I would like to find, though, is the original game disc of IL-2 Sturmovik, which used to be in my special edition box, but has gone AWOL. This is not FB - it’s the original IL-2. This one:

il2-orig1

The box cover:

It came in a big box (A5 size, but deep) and had the manual and a poster in it, with the cockpit gauges on.

2 Likes

I have a version of that.
You were looking for the full package, so to speak, or a low budget version would do?

I have the box etc - just misplaced the disc from it. I’d like to see if I can get it to work on my Vista PC.

ARGH! My EYES! Il-2 never looked THAT bad to me…because I played it with FSAA from day 1, whichever video card I was running. It’s a reason why I’ve played so little of CloD despite the mods, because I can’t get FSAA to force on.

Which did I have in 2001 anyway? I don’t think I still had my Voodoo 5 at that point, I might have had my Ti4600 by then, but it was right around that period.

I’d recently upgraded to my first green card for that screenshot ‘era’ - the GeForce 2 MX MAX. Was still using my faithful P166 MMX with a Matrox Mystique 4MB 2D onboard chip - ah, those were the days! :slight_smile:

That screenie doesn’t do IL2:Original much justice. Still, it isn’t all that far off. The sim, despite all the mod botox, is old. It’s not dead yet but some in the family are researching hospice. Meanwhile BoS/M/K looks, sounds and feels like no sim ever has, yet there is no question that its pedigree can be sourced to the original. The single player element is dull. So if that’s your thing, I can understand not making the jump. Otherwise it is where all of us should go for some WW2 multiplayer sweetness.

2 Likes

Good memories. In 2001, @777Studios_Jason founded the 777 AVG and made custom skins for squad members. Sixteen years ago these looked pretty awesome :slight_smile:

FWIW, I’d love to see a P-39 in BoX.
White 11 Grey crusin

We also had La-5N skins…
777La5N

…and Sturmovik skins.

ill-il2

torp-run

Later in 2003 we got Mustangs. Forgotten Battles had much better graphics than the original IL-2 series.

4thFG_logo-chipwich-sig

4thfg_mustangs

4thfg_mustang

5 Likes

The P39 is coming as part of the Battle of Kuban theater…

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

I had no idea Jason’s relationship with the sim went back that far! Years ago, I joined his 777 squadron to help test the new DF multiplayer beta in Rise of Flight. No idea that the name had some sim history to back it up. Cool. Thanks Chipwich!

4 Likes

That’s great. The Airacobra is the iconic aircraft for the Kuban campaign.

Anyone still playing IL-2 FB/PF/46 might be missing a little eye candy. Screenshot from quick mission in BoK tonight. Very Gianni Versace, I know.

2 Likes

AHH HAAA!

AHH HAAA!

5 Likes

After Kuban they are doing the Pacific theater, of which the P-39, P-40, A-20, and Spit Vb will already be ready to fly there. They will just need skins for whatever theater they do.

Aren’t they doing Midway?

1 Like