IL-2 Great Battles Dev News

I think it is. Even with all the updates and patches the mirror on the P-38 definitely did not do anything in 1946.

Wheels

1 Like

I’m having a lot of fun with this update. A lot of new things;

New fire?
New Damage model?
AI can stress own aircraft to pieces.
AI more aggressive?
etc

4 Likes

Got the patch and about to set up my hotas, its collected dust for months while work intruded, hope the rift still functions :slight_smile:

Seems like this should’ve warranted a 3.3 moniker if not 3.5? 3.201 seems a bit timid.

Beyond that oddity it looks great!

Has anyone noticed degradation of performance in the new aircraft? Last night it was shattering little bit here and there. Haven’t seen that issue before.
Possibly because Index was set to 120hz…not sure.

They did say that the change in rendering distances might have a performance impact.

I only had about an hour hour last night to try the Lightening and Mustang. Both were beautifully rendered and very effective when flown to their strengths. The Mustang’s 50s at close range just eviscerate enemy aircraft, as they should. Although not a super plane, it feels very balanced and how I imagine one would. The sounds are superb and the office comfortable.

The Rheinland Summer map is indeed huge and lush, while the cities look a little sparse compared to those in DCS Normandy. Beware, there are plenty of trees overhanging roads, the perfect hiding spot for a flak truck waiting to ambush the negligent.

Let the scripted campaign builders unleash their talent on such a canvas.

4 Likes

It took 2 and 1/2 hours to update last night. I was going to give up and use task manager to kill the update when it finally finished installing.

Having been around multiple P-38’s when they were starting up and flying I was really disappointed with the engine sounds. They didn’t even come close by my ear so hopefully the engine sounds are just placeholders that were used so they could get the plane out with this patch and they will be updated at a later date.

Wheels

Tiny PC or headphone speakers just can not reproduce the sound of two 2000HP engines ticking over. Just as they are utterly unable to reproduce a metal concert, or what it sounds like to sit front row at a performance of the 1812 overture.

They don’t have enough power, enough mass. And even if they did, you’d annoy the neighbours and destroy your ears.

You expect too much.

1 Like

Who says I’m not looking to do exactly that? :smiley:

2 Likes

I agree wheels, fly-by audio of the P 47 sounded rather lawn mowerish to me :slight_smile:

I thought placeholder as well

OMG! I’m speechless after flying the new planes.

How do you turn on the gunsights?

I think that the Mustang sounds are good, especially the externals. It’s the belly intake that makes the whistle, right? Or turbo supercharger?

The gun barrels.

2 Likes

Right you are. I remember that maybe from a Kermit Weeks video. Whatever, it sounds awesome with the Packard/Merlin growl underneath it.

1 Like

I can testify that no game, TV series, or film has ever reproduced the sound of a rocket properly.
No microphone seems able to catch it and attempts to synthesize it always fall short.

They get the bass rumble that speakers can create only. Of course they fail the subsonic range because speakers don’t do under 20Hz properly, and certainly not at high decibels. But on top of that they fail the upper end as well. There is a sound that I can only describe as large sheets of paper being constantly ripped, like a Mobius strip of cardstock being torn lengthwise at 100+ db, that is always missing.

Rockets are loud across the entire frequency range, from 1 to 10,000Hz, and a big subwoofer rumble sounds cool but is not right. Just like those of us who’ve heard actual gun fire know that the sounds they put in films generally also is not at all correct. Rare is the film that tries to be right because the producers complain it doesn’t sound “right” ie Hollywoodized.

I sympathize with sound designers because some sounds are really difficult to recreate even when you have a world-class mic pointing at the real thing recording at high fidelity. Given that few games have the resources of a $100m+ blockbuster film and even THOSE are wrong, I give them a lot of leeway in making the sounds accurate.

2 Likes

Meh, my ears are too busted to worry about the sounds; besides, whenever I do WW2 anything, I slip these on the player anyways:

3 Likes

Guns in a game generally sound like crap. Few games have come close. Tanks and rocket fire also. The SMAW comes to mind. No game has ever nailed it.

As for IL2 engine sounds, for someone without actual experience, I’ve always enjoyed them.

Yeah, I think that IL2 GB as a whole has really detailed sound. Listen carefully to the start or shutdown sequences and tell me that time wasn’t put into those. Lots of groans and ticks of metal heating and cooling. Some aircraft better than others, but overall pretty good IMO. Now the original IL2/PF/FB, that was grim.

2 Likes