IL-2 Great Battles Dev News

I like the Bodenplatte map, and of course Flying Circus!

Kuban module and “Havok over the Kuban” campaign is a favorite. The A-20 is a unique perspective for a campaign. Also, the ME-262 and Lightning in Bodenplatte a lot of fun.

1 Like

You need to get flying circus sir, get your biplane on!

1 Like

Second the flying circus vote, I started the campaign yesterday for the allies and its great in VR :blush:

2 Likes

Agreed, I love it all. There has never been a purchase from them that was so so. All has brought something good. 50%!!! Damn! I got everything!!!

2 Likes

standing in the turret of a Tiger in vr is absolutly awsome
 and in general the tanks are great fun

1 Like

I have everything but tanks, the Ju-52, the U-2VS, and the 2 new Yak-9s. The first 3 I just don’t see myself getting, the latter two I’m just waiting for them to be out awhile and drop in price some more before I get them because I know I won’t put a ton of time in them specifically.

Yet I will say that besides those outliers I’d classify the rest as must-haves, as long as you’re enjoying any one of the titles. I’ve preordered Normandy, too.

2 Likes

I am pretty well inline with Jedi. I love it all. I think Bodenplatte impressed me visually the most of any of them. Right now the Tactical Air War server is running Moscow. Just getting the navigation down on that map is a joy. And the server is terrific! But back to Bodenplatte. With it you get the Tempest–probably the best flying hotrod in the game. Certainly the best sounding plane in the game. Get the Premium version so that you get the P-38 as well. The map is very playable in VR for me but I do find that the cities push it to the very edge of smoothness. Overall it still runs better than DCS’ Normandy for me. Rise of Flight changed my life in a substantial way in that it accelerated my desire to return to GA and aerobatics. I bought Flying Circus as a continuance of that love. But honestly, I never fly it. And when I do I lose interest quickly. If it is cheap, by all means get it. But if the choice is between that and another WWII map, I’d get the map.

1 Like

What nights do you IL-2 pilots tend to fly? Perhaps we can get a flight up online?

What @smokinhole said, with the addition of that I think Kuban is a pretty nice map too. But what the hey, get it all and have the satisfaction that you have served our hobby, and become to combat sims what @PaulRix is to the civilian genre :smiley:

:rofl:

I have spent a ‘bob or two’ on military sims as well.

3 Likes

Visiting novorrososik? airstrip before they tarmaced it in Kuban was nice, areas I have flown forever in DCS

1 Like

Any comments on the Career Mode and how dynamic the campaigns are? How would they compare to say EECH or Strike Fighters 2?

Never played eech (we all have regrets in life
) but sf2 seems a decent bench mark in terms of the dc being a loosely tied together series of excuses to do missions. Its a bit more immersive in terms of things like ‘newspaper’ articles detail the war between missions, and things like squadron transfers taking a few campaign days to complete. Theres also “off days” where the campaign moves, but for various reasons you’re flight isn’t up. Occasionally you’ll get a logistical curve ball like squadron rebasing, which is sometimes as routine as a simple cross country flight, and sometimes less than routine
 I do actually like that you’ll get the occasionally boring mission thrown in as a nod to realism though.

So, in short, SF2 with some more administrative “connective tissue” between missions.

2 Likes

I’m not very good at not running into things
(strategic prop removal
)

6 Likes

I’m not sure if the actions of your flight have any strategic influence, but as a mission generator it’s quite ok.

In EECH you could go full on flight-of-the-comanche and sneak up to the factory building in the rear. Stopping the production of planes, choppers and tanks would end the war pretty quickly! No such gameplay in il2.

4 Likes

There are small 4 or 5 missions for both allies and axis for the great war within the scripted campaign tab
Like a mini campaign for both sides

1 Like

Oddly, it would make a lot more sense in Il-2 to disrupt production than EECH! Bomb a fighter factory in the 21st century and it would take months to see a difference.

That said, it’s hardly realistic to expect one pilot to make that much of a difference. I did enjoy SWOTL’s old strategic campaign, though! You could choose to go after the airfields more, or the ball bearing factories, or oil refineries, etc, and it would influence the kind of resistance you’d face, too.

Don’t forget that there are a ton of great scripted campaigns (which are all real cheap during sales like this) that are far more immersive than the random career missions, they just don’t let you fly any old plane you want.

Anyone else out there wish that Il-2 would implement pilot bodies in the cockpit? I know there’s a mod out there, but I feel like this is a no-brainer since the cockpits aren’t clickable and they’re spending all this time on period and seasons specific pilot models.

1 Like

the photo evidence suggests you’re great at it
assuming you’re the P-40