I'm really excited for VR...

I would feel EXACTLY the same if it wasn’t for the fact that I have a horrible time trying to pick out and hit ground targets using VR.

Oh yeah. I get that. Maybe my corrected vision isn’t the best. Given that as a fact, if I am honest with myself, the ability to spot and ID using VR zoom is about what I can manage in real life. Maybe a little less but no so far to make me feel that I am being hampered by the technology. I think that the extra resolution of the Pimax would erase the divergence completely.

Are you guys using ASW with X-Plane VR or turning it off?

Samsung Odyssey user here using the SteamVR version (asynchronous and inherited reprojection) of ASW.

1 Like

On another note - during the hurricane warning my brother and his family evacuated Myrtle Beach up to our house. Given the miserable rain for days and us being sort of shut-in, I ordered Beat Saber to sort of give us all something to do. It was, without question, the most popular VR game I’ve ever presented to visitors and family. Everyone loved it…including (and this is important)…my wife…! She loves dancing and music, so it was a natural fit.

Anyway - after playing a bit in my rather restricted gameplay space (my desk is sort of between the back of a couch and two walls - probably only about five feet of horizontal movement available) my wife said we needed to get another computer where we could set up a more VR friendly space.

VR1

So now I have to do some thinking (oh no). In my mind - what I’d like to do is buy another computer that is ready for a 2080Ti. I’ll move my current computer to the VR play space (1080 in it) and insto-presto…everyone is happy! And I’ll also (of course), need to upgrade my computer to a next gen VR headset once we start to see some of those coming down the pipe (already seeing some I suppose).

So the question is - what would you buy to be 2080 ready? Or should I just cool my heels for a bit and see how the 2080s shake out?

PS - I don’t really want to build a system. Did it once. Had a good time. Don’t want to do it again.

I think I could fund a new computer by streaming my wife on Twitch playing Beat Saber. :eyes:

5 Likes

I would pause for the next gen of Intel processors. I think that the current gen is still suffering a little from the software OS fixes for Spectre/Meltdown (hitting bottom line when it comes to GHz). AFAIK the current gen is less affected that the previous gens but I believe that the next gen with be the first with hardware fixes. That’s part of why I am getting the 2080 now and looking into a CPU/Motherboard/RAM update in a few months.

1 Like

Heh…

1 Like

All that and good looks too…! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

@Troll, Your first customer!

3 Likes

So this just arrived in my inbox. CV2 announcement maybe?

2 Likes

Interesting. I would find it odd to announce something before the Christmas season that could cannibalize sales unless they have a product ready to go. Be interesting to see what they announce. Remember, I am no business wizard so my conjecture is … blind conjecture :slight_smile:

I saw this too. Certainly hope it’s a Gen 2 that’s due to come out in the coming year.

*Rubbing hands *
There’s going to be a lot of cheap Gen 1 VR incoming! :smiley:

2 Likes

Found this on Hoggit. The PiMax review guy above (SweViver) has a DCS video up:

Looks interesting.

That is all very interesting. It looks pretty good to me. But with that said, the permutations of different settings are making my head hurt.

In game graphics settings
In game pixel density
PiTool settings
NVidia settings
Steam VR settings

I’m drawn back to the whole squeezing every ounce of performance out of FSX with the old FSX configuration posts on AVSIM where everyone claimed to have the magic .ini settings for the best performance. I’m glad there are people out there that enjoy playing with these settings and can output something for the rest of us to just sort of go with. The older I get, the less tolerance I have for infinite tweaking - I just want stuff to work(ish). Like I said, I’m glad early adopters work out the kinks for the rest of us.

6 Likes

Also in the comments of that Pimax video…Wags chimed in with:

“Good stuff, thanks! We are working on a number of VR optimizations that will help a lot to improve visual quality / performance.”

3 Likes

Interested to see some Pimax videos with X-Plane and P3D…

These guys are using VR flight sim cockpit setups to teach stress management to companies. The news piece doesn’t mention the flight sim, but we will all recognize it. Nice work if you can get it.

2 Likes

Cool. I’m actually going to go home tonight and fly a mock checkride in my X-Plane King Air 200 just to see how it feels. I have my Part 135 ride on Wednesday (training tomorrow). They are all approaches at JFK at night…

Because, you know, we fly into JFK all the time in the types we fly (thick layer of sarcasm there).

Meanwhile Teterboro, which has some challenging approaches and departures is strangely missing from our training syllabus.

I’ll step down from my soapbox now :crazy_face:.

2 Likes