Installing a 4090 and a 1200W PSU

Awesome, thanks!

I just got my new build finished. AMD 5800X (105 W TDP) and EVGA 3090 Ti FTW3 (not OC, so 450W.)
I have an EVGA 850W G6 and my UPS show a max of 630 W draw when I’m stress testing. I don’t foresee any issues.

2 Likes

the UPS will lose ability to maintain that 630w as the batteries age.

Depends who made them, but I have been seeing that the pinouts on the cables PSU end can vary not only by PSU Manufacturer, but within their model ranges even. So never mix cables from an old PSU model with a new one etc, unless you can verify they kept the pinouts.

Hence why a company like CableMod ask you specify the exact PSU model.

I am sure there is some reason for it, but it really just makes you go ughh…… when these things can’t be universal.

2 Likes

Man, I’m so old I nearly fired up at the 18 year old kid that was telling me this unexpected news LOL! I was thinking to myself, “A wire is a wire … what’s the big deal?”. I guess part of getting old is to learn to accept new information from these little punks ha ha ha! :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s alive!

So far so good. Haven’t had a chance to set up too many games on it, but at this point I’m just happy that none of the parts had issues and everything seems to be working as it should. Couple of notes after not having built one in like 5 years -

What happened to mid-towers? This thing is gigantic! I thought my antec 900 was big but this thing barely squeaks under the desk. I can’t imagine where you’d put a ‘full tower’ if this is what mids are like. On the plus side it’s much nicer to work in there, imagining will be better for airflow too.

Hardest part for me was dealing with those power cables, putting in the cpu/ram/harddrives etc are a snap compared with that. I never know how much you can bend those things, and god forbid you need to unplug something after plugging it in, it feels like you’re going to rip the motherboard right out of its screws. They go in easy enough but man getting them out, very fraught.

Also, having the I/O shield preinstalled on the motherboard seems like a good idea, but in reality not so hot. Took many tense tries to have it fit in the case; it’d go in and the MB would even pop onto the stand off screw, but the other screw holes would be off by just that much.

Put windows 11 on there, which is fine so far. Usual shenanigans of changing things around for the sake of changing them, only took a little while to get things back to what makes sense.

An unexpected bonus is that in order to get my CH pedals software to work I’d have to disable ‘core isolation memory integrity’ from windows security (some kind of driver incompatibility thing). Putting this in the ‘bonus’ category as these pedals refuse to die and I’ve been looking for any excuse to get some new ones - I may have found one finally!

Now to see if I can move my dcs install from my old hard drive onto the new one.

4 Likes

Copy/Paste the Game Folder, then launch and re-build the /Saved Games Folder.

Dont copy/paste controls as Hardware IDs for everything will be different.

Yep thanks was super easy! Got an error at first but a quick search revealed I just needed to download some Visual C++ Redistributables.

In terms of controls, sounds like the custom .lua files in my old save games folder are not worth saving? Noticed some things were amiss when I did a quick test flight.

I think copy/paste/repair does that. I’d have to double check.

1 Like

@speck If you hate manual work and aren’t afraid of a little programming, @miRage once shared a little script you can use to rename your control bindings LUAs to the new hardware IDs.

Alternatively, you can of course rename the files one by one

2 Likes

Thanks! Impressive stuff - gotta admit the odds of me attempting that are slim but I like that it’s there (and someone took the time to post how they did it).

Luckily I’ve been mostly flying wwII stuff, so if I end up having to redo it won’t be too terrible.

What would be the best way to clear everything out and start fresh? If I delete specific aircraft from the input folder, would it show up again ‘fresh’ on restart? Or should I just delete the whole input folder?

With a new machine ‘the nuclear option’ is tempting, feel like I can see myself trying to fix things piecemeal and end up more frustrated than if I just started fresh.

No need for all of that.
DCS stores control bindings in .diff.lua files, with the filename being the name of the controller. That name includes a bunch of letters and numbers, those are the hardware identifier of the device.

The new pc uses different hardware IDs for the controllers, as it did not “know” their names already, so it just came up with new ones.

Thus, by default, all your old control bindings are ignored now.

To fix it, all you have to do is rename these files so the IDs match what your new pc came up with.
To find the right ‘new filename’, the easiest way is to bind something in DCS controls UI and you will see another .diff.lua file appear with the right filename.

Then you can start renaming and everything will work as before.

Alternatively, you can delete everything, yes, but be careful that you may have set some other stuff in some containing folder (e.g. views)

Hey thanks! That explanation makes things less daunting, will give it a shot.

1 Like