Is the Gazelle Worth Buying?

Your argument makes sense from a technical perspective but I am far from a helo expert, it’s nice that they are looking into it and finding an explanation.

I am not sure how you are having so much trouble in forward flight, once the auto pilot kicks in she is a joy and ease to throw around imho. It’s not as much of a feely helicopter as the UH-1H is, but I feel like it’s quite fantastic once you see the AP inputs!

Anyway, people have mixed opinions, some helicopter pilots not familiar with it hate it and some that know the helo love it.

1 Like

Just to clarify, I didn’t actually fly the helicopter. I was sat behind the pilots while they were on a training sortie. We were flying low level scouting out potential sites to ambush armored vehicles. It was fascinating, a lot of fun but ultimately a rather nauseating experience. I kept my cookies down but they did land in a field so that I could walk around for a bit and get some air. LOL.

5 Likes

Blimey, you’re lucky. I’ve spent more hours in the back of Gazelles than any other helicopter (and I served in JHSU - Joint Helicopter Support Unit - Pumas and Chinooks) and they would never have done that for me!

Longest trip I did was from Wildenrath in Germany to Antwerp and back, collecting some top-brass Rupert to do with military financing or something. Think it was about 4 hours.

The only time I ever felt sick was in a Puma, though, flying from Gütersloh to Bavaria. Fulpmes, iirc, for summer camp. The pilots thought it would be fun to do some tactical flying on the way down. Was surprised at how small they are inside.

3 Likes

Now I did lose my lunch in a Puma. I was sat in the back with the side door open. They were doing SAM evasion training. We could hear the conversation up front, which would be suddenly interrupted with SPIKE! and then all hell broke loose. A few of those and it was head in bag time… LOL. Thank goodness I was able to get beyond motion sickness. It took many years though. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t cope well with aerobatics even to this day.

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly. It was unflyable until I dialed in about a 35% curve ( expo to RC types :slight_smile: ) in 3 axis. To read certain forums, the Gazelle was programmed perfectly, and my manhood was in serious doubt by adding a response curve.

1 Like

You are a far better pilot than I am, Almighty. Re: autopilot; I do not see the slightest difference gyros on/gyros off nor “PA” and channels on/“PA” and channels off. Just to be clear, we are talking the latest October update which is only fully available in DCS 2.1 (at least that’s what the forum says).

1 Like

You flatter me but I think you are most definitely the better pilot overall! I just helo’s so damn much and spend most of my DCS time in them!

I haven’t flown it on 2.1 nor in the last month so I’ll have a look and see if it feels different!

Same here. I’ve been flying the jets in DCS for so many years. Don’t get me wrong, I do love flying them but I’ve actually been spending most of my DCS time in the helicopters because I just love dipping and dodging down in the weeds. So looking forward to DCS BO-105, DCS OH-58D Kiowa, DCS Mi-24 Hind among others that have been mentioned.

1 Like

Although fixed-wing is great in VR, you just can’t beat those whirlybirds. The Ka-50 is so gobsmackingly awesome in VR, it really blows my mind every time. I am a much better pilot in VR than on the monitor - don’t know if you watched my video upload of the ‘Courier’ mission, but I wouldn’t have had a hope of flying that on the monitor.
Flying in rain and moderate wind at night, finding a jeep (no lights) and landing within feet of it, then flying into the Black Sea and finding a frigate and then landing on that, too - no way I could have accomplished that in 2D. It was also really fun to fly.

That goes for the other helicopters, too - I’m quite happy to spend ages practising take-off and landings (with a huge grin on my chops), which I would not have had the patience for in 2D.

Rotors rock! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I don’t think I have seen this. Post it please.

I edited out a lot of it, but it’s still nearly half an hour…

https://youtu.be/gu5oZMxWT-c

Slingloading is really well done in DCS. I wish it was utilized more in multiplayer now that all the bugs are gone. I agree about helis, VR or 2D. I waited for Black Shark with more anticipation than any product, virtual or real, that I can think of. A year before release ED made a promo video around a Russian pop song. I think I had the lirics memorized. So yeah helis rule.

2 Likes

I am not in a position to judge if the Gazelle flies realistic or not, but I can tell if I like how it flies. Unfortunately I must say that I fly it rarely. In fact I haven’t flown the Gazelle in months. It is quite a pity, as I like the tactical application of the helicopter a lot. Like a sniper, deadly as it sneaks around under cover and ambushes its target, yet also extremely vulnerable.

It’s not that I can’t get it to do what I want to do. Flying the Gazelle just feels somewhat weird and not intuitive. If that is how the real Gazelle behaves, then I probably wouldn’t enjoy flying the real one either. It’s quite the contrary to the Huey, which I just love flying and do so frequently just for the sake of it.

Perhaps the Bo-105 will accommodate my interest in classic anti-tank helicopters while being fun to fly?

1 Like

Gazelle was the first (and last) helo I mastered… uh… I apprenticed (if it is a word in EN at all). I really like it - the FM looks OK to me (easier to fly than a Huey), cramped and cosy little cockpit, scary looking guy sitting next to you that has nothing to do, especially if you fly the model with guns and rockets. Honestly, some of the best MP moments I had was in a Gazelle.

That probably does not answer OP question on FM, but I thought I chime in with my 2 cents :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So here we go, how the bloody hell we can now say if it is good modeled or wrong!? :smile:

2 Likes

I have a decent number of hours in single and multi engine helos. I think the Gazelle is pretty good. Just my two cents.

3 Likes

I guess I’m gonna have to go on a ride along in our EC-135s to settle this once and for all… :wink:

Hard to believe I’ve never been in a helicopter despite having had access to free rides for damn near 20 years. I think it’s about time I crossed over to the dark side… Problem is - I don’t think the EC-135s are dual controls…unlike the Bells the hospital used to operate…

2 Likes

That’s a surprise, Beach! You obviously love pull-for-power. I’d have thought you would go up every chance you get.

There are some who always want the last word. I am started to be one of those guys with this thread. But I can’t help it. I’ve been having a PM conversation at DCS with Sven (aka “Borchi”, the 3D modeler at Polychop). I am not trying. All I was saying is how beautiful the Gazelle is and how I appreciated how he handled my “complaint”. I felt like a bit of an a** after that and felt a responsibility to let him know that his work is appreciated. In reply he keeps feeding me nice little tidbits. I can’t in good conscience share them. But it’s all good stuff. Nothing earth-shattering but good. And some of it intriguing. Anyway, he seems like a really nice person with much to share about the Gazelle and perhaps other projects.

I would love to read a detailed article on this website about what it takes to build a successful DCS model, how to handle the gallery of naysayers and haters like Smokin’ Hole and perhaps drop an exclusive peek into the future. I think it would be a good read.

3 Likes

Sven is a really good guy

I also have this irrational self preservation streak… Helicopters genuinely scare me a little bit…

2 Likes