It's here.....! (and other VR thoughts)

https://developer3.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-debug-tool/

2 Likes

Might get this too… looks like a nice relaxing game…

Looks like Oculus home update today which will turn on ASW by default:

1 Like
1 Like

First I thought: “Wow this is super-boring!”
But that article actually made it sound pretty nice, especially in VR. I will probably give this a try once I get a VR headset.

How are there no dash cams?

So I guess I’m out of luck using my Rift with my laptop…which is an Alienware M14xR2. It has one of those funky hybrid systems where the laptop sometimes uses the Intel 4000 integrated graphics cards, and sometimes uses the NVidia GT650M. I’ve been trying to hook up my Rift to the HDMI port, but apparently that is hard-wired to the Intel 4000 to only output as a mirror at 60Hz (or something like that). Any-who…I’ve tried disabling the Intel 4000, which makes the entire laptop screen not work either, and I’ve tried every combination of utilities I can think of…and I can’t get the Oculus software to recognize the Rift.

Sort of a bummer. I know the GT650M would struggle with VR…but I could probably run some stuff at lower detail. My next laptop will definitely be VR capable. I guess I’ll have to wait until @Magnum50 is ready to sell his latest hardware (it always happens 6 months after he buys it…!) :wink:

2 Likes

This seems to be the boat I’m in…

“The lack of HMD support for laptops is a hardware problem with how Nvidia Optimus is designed–it is not fixable in software and not Oculus’s fault. Basically, the way Optimus works your HDMI port is (always) connected to your integrated graphics card, and when your dedicated GPU kicks in it still has to pass the completed frames to your integrated graphics which outputs them to the HDMI port–this adds terrible latency for each frame from when it is finished to when it actually gets displayed.”

So…what is the general consensus on what is a good “VR ready” laptop? Anyone made that plunge yet?

If you want to spend some cash (it’s a business expense, right?) then this puppy looks capable…

1 Like
1 Like

TIL I can tell my wife Mudspike purchases are a business expense…

I’m making my list…

1 Like

just sold a 6 month old, never used alienware laptop to Airdrop 2 days ago… I’m moving to new hobbies, won’t be selling PC much anymore. :wink:

1 Like

You aren’t allowed to leave PC gaming…

I don’t see a price. I’m assuming it will cost as much as a car.

Looks like good configuration.

But are you sure with this ? I thought that my 1060 6GB is not suficient for VR.
Or lets put is this way, is here anyone runing VR on this card ? Whats your exp ?

Answered in the other thread already.

Basically: don’t expect great results, but yeah it works.

Saw that, thx.
I just didnt want to polute PC thread with VR stuf :slight_smile:

Hm, I just recently went from FHD to 4k loosing some details oc but gaining crispy clear picture. Wondering if VR should be the next step this early.

1 Like