Keyboard Overlay(s) for DCS

So sought the A-10C as @Cib had originally recommended (why oh why didn’t I listen to @Cib before?).

That said, the Mig-21 is a lot of fun to fly (until the crashing part). I’m going through @BeachAV8R’s tutorials in PCPilot mag and they have really helped. (I also recommend going to the online content for the article’s pics as somethings can be small/hard to read in the magazine)

1 Like

For FC3 (and DCS in general) I also recommend picking up the Thurstmaster MFDs. That’s 40 buttons (not accounting for the rocker switches), so between them and the hotas, you’ll be able to cover everything without ever touching a keyboard, and you can DIY some templates for each plane that slide in behind them, so you don’t need to memorize everything. They also work well for more advanced aircraft that have actual MFDs as well, of course.

3 Likes

That sounds like a GREAT idea. I’m still fairly new to DCS world (pretty much an FSX guy) so tips like that are gold. Thanks! All the jets I’ve gotten so far have been the add-ons with clickable cockpits…but I definitely want (need) the F-15C and Su-33. Both were favorites when I used LOMAC and FC1.

Also I assume that Blackshark2 is a non-clickable cockpit. I’m thinking of going with my Satiek X-52 set for that vice the Thrustmaster Hog. I use the X-52 for the helos in FSX since you can give it a very loose joystick-plus (good for minor corrections and holding the cyclic forward) and on the throttle, a couple of well place buttons (start button, lights, etc.) and a knob axis control that works well for engine RPM. The X-52 and MFDs would be perfect for getting a of the Ka-52 “off the keyboard”.

Thanks again for the reccomendation!

1 Like

If you’re going down the FC route, I whole heartedly recommend getting FC3 rather than the module by module route. Everyone says they want one or two, in my experience most people end up getting more than one or two :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

:+1: He who dies with the most toys, wins! :sunglasses:

Happy to help!

Also, here’s a link to a ppt that allows easy editing of MFD templates. Just add your preferred button assignments, print them out (perhaps laminate or paste to cardboard) and you’re good to go! Another user over at SimHQ created it originally, (can’t recall name off the top of my head), but I made a few changes.

Also, the BlackShark (any version) does indeed have a clickable cockpit! It was actually the first DCS module, and aircraft to do so in the LOMAC engine. :slight_smile:

It a testimate to how far DCS has come in a few short years, but at this point, more flyable aircraft on the platform have clickable cockpits than not.

1 Like

Simply awesome! Great templates. Just a few moments looking at them and already i’m getting ideas.

I think I may even download a Cyrillic font for Mig-21 & Ka-25 MFD templates (seriously).

Thanks agan!