KMUD - Mudspike Flight Test Air/Sea/Space Port progress

Had a new arrival at KMUD (I’m gonna need to build some bigger hangars apparently…:wink: )

2 Likes

More progress today - got some new taxiway lines drawn onto the main ramp where the larger aircraft will park…

Added blastpad markings to the NOLF runway ends…

Started placing more scenery on the NOLF transient ramp…

Found some nice light poles that looked good and were functional…also added a helipad to the NOLF and taxiway lights to the landing area…

This took some time. I had to hand place each light…well, then I was able to duplicate the string…but these are omni-directional white / red lights for the outline of the carrier landing area. I don’t think a real carrier has quite as many…but…shrug… Same thing will happen for the far end of the field (two landing areas for two different wind directions)…

Far end of the field done too…

Also placed and duplicated the smaller/GA section of the main ramp with tiedown "T"s…

I have no idea if I’m doing any of this right. I’m sure there are way more efficient and proper ways to do all this stuff. But it is fun building my own airport…

I guess I should try to figure out drawing ATC paths and stuff so that I can get some AI taxing around and doing something as well perhaps…

BeachAV8R

5 Likes

I always find the fun is in the building, no matter how “inefficient” my techniques. :slight_smile:

Wheels

2 Likes

KMUD is looking pretty spectacular, @BeachAV8R! You’ve got all your permits filed…right?!?

1 Like

Permits? Do we look like the FAA? we don’t got no permits, we don’t need no permits, we ain’t got to show you no permits.

1 Like
2 Likes

1 Like

@Navynuke99 - I’ve got Governor McCrory working on my EPA permits. I’m sure they will go smoothly…

Crew chief’s log: Drained several fuel trucks, drove to the nearest Sam’s Club, and filled trucks with assorted soft drinks to dump on the runway to produce desired “stick” factor for simulated carrier operations…

2 Likes

4 Likes

It would be cool if you could set runway friction amounts manually in X-Plane. Then you could make simulated EMAS overruns and ice runways… Of course, I’d just rather have actual hook and cable mechanics…but I’ll take whatever I can at this point.

2 Likes

Ugh, I know it’s designed to do that but I would not want to work on that aircraft’s landing gear after a trip through that much sand.

Wheels

1 Like

Depends on how much you’re paying him… That’s all I’ll say about that. :wink:

I’ll drink to that. I just won’t drink NC well water… :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Some unusual activity at KMUD filmed by someone outside the fence… :satellite:

4 Likes

I was out painting lines at KMUD today and happened to catch this with my cell phone… :wink:

5 Likes

Talking about custom scenery creation. I am curious @BeachAV8R what made you to do this decision :

I think you did a good job with KMUD. Was it too many planned features which were hard to develop or was it something else?
Btw you never offered it for download, or did you? I missed it maybe.

I think much like real art, scenery design (and livery painting) does require some good artistic style. When I looked at what I created, it looked like something from Minecraft or something…haha…just no real personality. It gave me a new respect for custom scenery designers.

You dont have to be that critical to your work. At least you created the airport from ground up in the middle of a desert where the others usually updates just existing scenery :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did it once, so here we go again :slight_smile:

this new vid made me remember KMUD :+1:

1 Like