M-2000C or Viggen

Good point, well presented.

Viggen all the way right there. While the M2000 can fly NOE in visual conditions, the Viggen is a all weather strike fighter designed for it.

3 Likes

Hey, thanks!

More I look into it, the more I keep coming back to the Viggen especially now that I am reading about ELINT tasking!.

2 Likes

And you are waiting on the sales right? Welcome abour @Spikeyspud!

Thank you!

Do they traditionally have a sale this time of the year? I know that the Viggen has not been included the last couple of times.

ED normally have several good sales per year, but the third party stuff, well its up to the individual team.

1 Like

The autumn sale started on October 18th, last year. Thatā€™ll probably be the next big sale.

1 Like

@Spikeyspud Keep your eyes open and set aside a little cash for October. Here is the thing thou, If you are really honest with yourself it takes weeks to learn some of the modules. Think of the sale as a good time to set yourself up for the next six months of DCS goodness.
Dont know anything about you except the little that is on this thread. So I say VIGGEN. You said you prefer Mudmoving over Air2Air and the Viggen has some toys for that. It also has the neatest computer. You will marbel at it and swim in the sea of air to ground weapons. Your extra time will be spent watching Youtube so you can prosecute some poor truck drivers later.
As far as skill erosion is concerned, this is a problem with ALL of us. I have folders in my PC for each aircraft. I keep A. An Excell doc with all the binds. B. An Excell doc with How to start and weapons employment basics. C. ChuckOwlā€™s guide and factory guide. That the only way I can manage DCS.

2 Likes

I awoke to a present of a Viggen in my DCS hanger, my amazing wife had bought it for me. The Viggen is amazing and having taken a few lessons I am blown away with just how great it is to fly.

I think it is because everything is has a button.

LOve it

17 Likes

Shes a keeper @Spikeyspud!! What a great gal!!

3 Likes

Well, after 24 hours with the Vig I have got to say I just love her!

I have realised I donā€™t really have the capacity to keep ahead of something like the F18, and the model of one pass/haul ass really suits my mission profile.

Iā€™ve spent ages beating up the airfield getting the curcuits just right and Iā€™ve carried out a couple of anti-ship training sorties.

8 Likes

Interesting perspective, because I find I much prefer one longer mission where I do AA and AG stuff over multiple passes and along a front or deep behind territory, and then going back, shutting down and calling it a night.

Sometimes due to heavy opposition I find myself taking off far more than Iā€™m landing, and I tend to get frustrated and lose patience with it.

Yet the idea of only striking one target after a long flight and then having another long one back reminds me of the F-117 update to F-19 Stealth Fighter where you have 2 LGBs and nothing more. Felt too dull.

I think thatā€™s where the Viggen does well, in that itā€™s usually a fairly short mission (45 mins startup to shutdown at the outside), and that flight in and out bound is low and fast enough to make it interesting.

I love the idea of having to find a way onto target without even being painted, having to fly so low that I am having to choose to over or under power lines keeps me focused!

Then the pop up and prosecution of a target before hitting the deck and going home is fun. Door to door it is 45 mins most of the time.

45 minutes is quite nice from a family life perspective - I quite often struggle to reliably commit for a long session, because something might come up.

5 Likes

Plus, when you factor in basic systems ,by modern standards, it takes a lot less time to learn the module and so less skill erosion.

It fits in well with home life.

1 Like

And the Viggen was built for Vikingsā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

so says our resident tech viking :grin:

3 Likes

In a totally unbiased opinion lol. In Sweden I was amazed at the amount of tech that came out of SAAB and Volvo. The Linshoping Air Force Museum is outstanding.

Ok we have different definitions here! To me, 45 mins IS a long flight for just a target or two.

If itā€™s going to be that small, Iā€™d prefer no more than 30, tops. For a flight lasting 45 mins Iā€™m looking for multiple target areas, whether that means some A2A action on ingress/egress, or CAP at the target, or perhaps both primary and secondary targets separated geographically enough that I have to fly at least 5 mins from one to the other.

I also donā€™t have the time to spare for startups and shutdowns, so I always start hot on the runway and quit as soon as the plane stops rolling on the runway. Taking all that extra time could mean the difference between flying 2 missions that week or 3, so I do not.