Märklin HO Digital model Railroad

Not rying to steal Dan’s thunder and I don’t know about those paricular coaches, but Sydney (Australia) metropolitan rail has used double decker’s since the 70’s.

2 Likes

The double deckers are built by Bombardier in Germany and are used in Denmark by DSB Danske StatsBaner (Danish State Railways) At first they where rented, the first ones in 2002 and a second batdch from 2009. In 2012 and 2014 they where bought.

They have been pulled by:

ME diesel-electric locomotives

EA Electric locomotives

And are currently being pulled by

EB Electric Siemens Vectron locomotives

(This is with our Queen’s Royal Salon carriage and support carriage.)

Happy Railroading

3 Likes

I was playing around with shunting at different times.

I will be referring to the numbers here:

This is how it looks like in the 3D world.

First I tried to assemble the 3 coaches from 1 at 2 by way of 4.

Success!

Hmmm. What if I move the 24997 and 24094 at the lower crossover?

I went from this.
(Note that I am only refering to the track sections directly connected to the lower crossover.)

To this and lo and behold it is now possible to assemble and disassemble a trainset with the MY and 3 coaches at 3.

Then I wanted to find out if it is possible to move the 3 double deckers from 5 to 6 and back again. Ending up with the control cab facing the bumper. There are no coupling in the control end of the coach.
And it worked.

I did some running with 1, 2 and 3 train sets running in the same direction.

Some with 1 and 2 sets running and doing shunting operations at the same time. The most difficult part was getting the newly created set into the flow. (Didn’t really succeed at that most of the time.)

The most difficult was running 2 sets in opposite directions. At first one of them was the MY with 3 coaches and the other the Steam locomotive with all 8 military wagons.

It ended up in a couple of disasters. Here is one of them.

When I shortened the military train to 5 wagons it went better.

Here are some pictures of the layout.

And here are some with rolling stock

More to come.

Happy Railroading

5 Likes

fantastic looking stuff there, are you also going to go for the full scenery build around the layout ?

1 Like

Thank You tempusmurphy.

Unfortunately not for the time being. My parents house have been for sale for the past 5 years and we have no idea what space they will get when it is eventually sold.

We will be adding buildings to the layout, but for now the priority is to finish the track runs and the controls for the turnouts, decouplers and enginestall gates.

We are moving beyond what is comfortable when using 2x Mobile Station 2. We will need a controlpanel.

More about that in the next post.

Happy Railroading

1 Like

just dont do what we did a while ago
enf crash 2
enf crash 1
fortunately no one was hurt, but it was bit hectic for a while :grin:

3 Likes

PTSD WARNING!

This was the plan when I left my parents after Christmas.

For the first Christmas/Birthday after my father getting the startset I gave him the PIKO 61923 and 61925 5 building sets and I have gotten the Faller 120281 12° roundhouse set for my self.

Eventhough the 61923 stall is not prepared for it, I plan on adding servo opening for the gates on that and also on the 3 gates of the roundhouse.

The single section tracks at each end of the layout made it difficult to run smoothly and very difficult to move a trainset into the flow from the shunting areas.

I was getting more and more frustrated with it.

More PTSD WARNING!

After a couple of days thoughts about it I started to experiment with it and ended up with this layout.

I have to figure out if there is room for the topmost track and whether the blue 24064 tracks aligned roughly vertical with the Red/gray hotel, can be replaced with 24071, 24077 or 24094 sections.

There will be 30 turnout drives/decoders, 9 decouplers and 4 servos. (There are 2 drives/decoders in the 3 way turnouts.)

That is way to many to handle with 2 Mobile Station 2 controllers.

We use Viessmann 4568 drives and decoders for the turnouts. I am contemplating building some DIY decoders for the decouplers and servos. I still need 15 Viessmann 4568 sets, lanterns for 14 turnouts,(That is 7 sets) plus all of the blue tracks, but then I will also consider the track layout close to done.

I may ad some more decouplers.

I plan on using DCC with Arduino/s for a controlboard and using Railcom to indicate the position of each turnout with LEDs. The Railcom functionality is built into the 4568 decoders.

Initially my plan was to figure out how to inject the DCC commands and Railcom signal breaks into the track current, but now I intend to use the separate turnout, decoupler and servo power supply circuit as the commands carrier.

For now I will be looking into the DCC controlboard electronics and software. I already have a lot of what is needed, because it is mostly the same needed for DIY PC controllers. Shift registers and such.

Happy Railroading

3 Likes

Ouch!.

We had something similar happen at my lokal station.

No one hurt, but it took quite a while before the track was opened again.

3 Likes

that does look like an amazing and complex layout, can’t wait to see the progress

2 Likes