Modern Air Combat by Eagle Dynamics

Can you confirm - is this single player only, or can owners of this connect to maps on multiplayer servers?

Only multiplayer with other players of this?

Can hi fi and lo fi fly together?

1 Like

Something only @NineLine can confirm for sure, but I think I had read on reddit and the like that the plan was to make MP slots for MAC aircraft separate from the existing ones (i.e. an F-5 and MAC F-5 slot) and they would be compatible in multiplayer that way. I would think that a MAC aircraft would be able to fly MP on a full Nevada etc map if the mission designer put the slots in for it and they owned the full Nevada module as well (like it is for existing MP players).

The only single-player restriction was more about the ā€˜samplerā€™ mini PG and Nevada maps that comes with the module - those wonā€™t be for MP and just SP, but thatā€™s the only thing I believe.

From @NineLine on Hoggit: link

This will be small portions of those maps will be available to MAC owners for single player only. If they want the full map or to play online, they will need to purchase the entire map.

Best post of the month

2 Likes

My understanding is that they can. Likely the mission designer will need to place both types as client assets on the map and that there will be some way to differentiate between them but that is mostly unknown at this point.

From @NineLine on Higgit: link

I believe they will be flagged something different so you can tell which is which.

1 Like

Disturbances

6 Likes

Looking forward to this, just to try and relive the old LOMAC days from 14 years ago. Itā€™ll be a lot more enticing for players as well, since itā€™s a lot of aircraft for what I figure the price will be.

I didnā€™t have much problem adapting to the more complex systems of the Harrier or M2000, but I also came into the game equipped with a full blown HOTAS and TIR, which most people arenā€™t going to have. Youā€™re lucky to find people with a dedicated stick in this day and age; most have gamepads.

2 Likes

#F-111 ?

Just to be clear, what I was saying was that if I donā€™t enjoy flying (as in how the AC handles, responds, the flight modeling, etc) the MAC version, I probably wont enjoy the FF version.

Iā€™d actually pay for that to be a feature in DCS throughout all modules. Usually the initial key binds are pretty close, but for instance do I really need 14 different variations on ā€œincrease radar rangeā€?

2 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

I definitely think this is a good move in the right direction. Not all of us are dedicated hardcore flyers. I believe MAC will bring new players into the fold. Interestingly, as I get older I find it increasingly difficult to learn new study-level aircraft due to time and difficulty retaining information. My CBU (central brain processor) is closer to an Intel 486 than it is to an i5, so something like MAC works for me. :slightly_smiling_face::sunglasses:

1 Like

Warbird Air Combat makes a lot of sense. It be a package of planes, with the Normandy map. Good flight models, but no clicky pit. Easy to fly, hard to master. Somehow I think this idea is so good, that someone else has already capitalized on it.

3 Likes

Although, do I see a new Admiral K model in the trailer?

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the difference between say current FC3 MiG-29A and future MAC MiG-29A?

I would imagine nil.

2 Likes

I just hope they have more immersive missions and campaigns for MAC than the aging content they have for FC3 because for the most part it seems almost the same game. Looks like an optimization pass for 2.5 than something absolutely new, especially since the aircraft selection is so similar.

Maybe Iā€™m asking too much, if they can make the learning curve as smooth as possible it will already be a great upgrade. Maybe use the albatross for an actual training campaing with tutorials and training missions, voice chatter and allā€¦ I just remember not very long ago I had to learn to fly from watching tons of videos online and by replaying a same combat mission about 800 torturous times. Canā€™t imagine a lot of new gamers willing to do the sameā€¦

2 Likes

One thing that will be coming soon is an update to the Instant Mission Generator already in the sim, hopefully it will be easier to use and provide a lot more unique missions with a few simple clicks.

8 Likes

That would be superb, and address one of my biggest gripes with DCS as a whole. It has a steep learning curve, like F4 steep, and they have really left it to the community to step up and help with that. Something like what youā€™re describing would be perfect.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I wanted this for owning the MiGs 15/21! :smiley:
And should the Viggen be there I might even think about that.