Mudspike Air Cargo

A Shark you say?

A bit NSFW

[spoiler]
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/380/681/ef1.jpg[/spoiler]

3 Likes

I’ll be singing that all the way from the outer marker inbound…

5 Likes

Anyone remember that one GIF with the bus and those words?

Possibly

3 Likes

It’s what I secretly strive to become one day, such a rogue driver. Everything for the people!

Well, good news is…I can make a lot of money pretty quick with this thing…made back $34,000 in just two runs. I picked some paved fields first to get used to the plane. That throttle response is gonna kill me one day…

CARGO-690

1 Like

I thought that paint looked familiar. N125SA is a jumpship at Skydive Perris in Perris Valley, CA. At least she was back in the 90s when I started jumping. We used to call her “Shark Air” and it turns out that was not by coincidence. Please take care of her. She hauled my miserable carcass to altitude more times than I can remember, including a bunch of night jumps. Never complained. Good aircraft.

6 Likes

Ha…that’s awesome. I didn’t know the paint scheme was actually based on a real bird. Very cool…

2 Likes

Last night I knocked out my Air Hauler “type rating” for the Otter. It just consists of starting up, climbing up to altitude, and performing some very basic instrument reference maneuvers (climbs and descents to headings) and then a landing that must be graded OK or better (so don’t prang it…!)…

CARGO-688

Then I embarked on my first couple revenue flights - easy 70nm jaunts to a field with instrument approaches and a good amount of runway while I get used to the Otter. After running contracts in the 185F that would earn me $5K to 9K on a good run, seeing numbers like $18K or $20K per run is amazing…

Heading out on the first leg…

Good weather enroute…no need to shoot an instrument approach at Burns (KBNO)…

Trying to figure out the power and prop setting…

On and in…$18K in the bank…!

Off on the next run…now to just churn away!

5 Likes

5008 ft just because.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a round number in metric. I dunno. I don’t metric.

1 Like

Silly person. Probably pull for power in a helicopter too, eh? :confused:

3 Likes

Been a bit busy lately…so MAC has been a bit slow lately. Which is not a good thing given the Twin Otter has a good bit of overhead. Good news is, the freight contracts can be flown for $30,000+…so it doesn’t take too long to make up for it…

So tonight I picked up a short 75NM trip from OG39 to S07 (Bend, OR)…

Still snowy up in Longview Ranch…

Having to use all the anti-ice equipment for the initial climb out of Longview Ranch…

Finally up on top at 8,000’…

Weather starting to clear near Bend…

For proficiency, since I’ve not flown the Twotter a whole lot, I go ahead and shoot the VOR approach with a turn in the hold…

On the deck in Bend…

Really liking this Twin Otter…despite some little quirks…

Revenue line is finally bouncing off the bottom there. It’s just part of running a company…gotta spend some money to make some money…!

5 Likes

This morning, another short hop from Bend, Oregon (KBDN) to Grant County (KGCD). With the weather remaining relatively poor, I’m picking routes that have good income, but also to airports that have viable instrument approaches.

It is extremely windy in eastern Oregon today…with winds whipping up to 25 mph out of the south…

Climbing up to 9,000’ on the IFR route over to Grant County. The weather is layered, but low clouds hang in the valleys and obscure the peaks and ridges…

Setting up for the RNAV approach to runway 9, but we’ll be circling to land to land on 17 due to the heavy winds out of the south…

I love flying in these conditions. Real conditions that require a good study of the approach plate, and adherence to the procedures to get you down through the terrain lumps. One of the things I like most about simming that translates well to my real job…

Soon we are busting through the scud later and wisps of cloud remain at the minimum descent altitude. I spot the airport and carefully fly the circle to the north to land on 17…

Another $27,000 or so in the bank!

6 Likes

Great looking environment and aircraft Beach :+1:

1 Like

MAC has been awfully quiet about their recent operations - are they moonlighting for CIA for some quick cash and can’t speak about it?

1 Like

Haha…yeah, I better go earn some cash or I’ll be in the negatives this month. MAC cargo ops slows down as magazine deadline approaches (first week, every other month). It’ll pick back up again in about a week. :+1:

2 Likes

I did run two quick cargo runs the past two nights…totaling around $40,000 in revenue. My fixed overhead monthly costs (due to that darn lease payment on the Twin Otter) is $115,298. My cash on hand is $128,866 with a lease payment due in five days. So I’d better get hopping on some flying because I’m right on the margins of sustainability.

CARGO-722

1 Like

I feel you - all my planes have been grounded for a month, life has been simply too busy to turn the computer on. :neutral_face:

1 Like

I ran a couple more cargo runs tonight - $22,250 and $5,000 of narcotics. Narcs are always great to take if you can stop along the way of the main route because they only weigh 100 pounds or so…so it is worth taking them.

Idaho should be getting ready for the spring thaw in a few more weeks…I’m not sure what date the Orbx scenery switches from winter to spring textures…but I’ll be looking forward to that!

Enough operating cash to make it through another month…with a big hit coming in a couple days…lease payment of $108,225 due on the Twin Otter. Grinding out enough missions to buy it outright seems like a difficult scenario. We’ll see…

CARGO-724

3 Likes