My (almost) finished scratch built joystick base

Cool stuff. Your use of handheld tools conjures to mind the term “redneck engineering”. That’s a complement. I couldn’t begin to make something so practical. If you and @troll ever get together the combo will be downright dangerous.

3 Likes

Very impressive work! Welcome to Mudspike too!

1 Like

Thank you for the compliments guys! The structural design is indeed very simple, and for me, the challenge was figuring it all out, and then creating all the parts with the tools I have at home.

I am not sure who is more happy with this beeing done, me or my GF who has not been overly happy with our shared office beeing a total mess with screws, tools, and scrap metal laying around all over the place :grin:

1 Like

Good work there @smekre . Its inspirational.

I have bearings on order. My prefered material is going to be aluminium profiles.
Was thinking about replacement cams directly from VPC.
But also diy aproach sounds ok.

Hopefuly my build starts soon… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds good! I think that aluminium profiles along with proper tools would make your base much more “professional” looking than mine. Good idea with replacement cams! Just make sure to have all the exact VPC measurements in that case, as every change in distance from the different pivot points will change the needed cam profile. But I´m sure you already thought of that :wink: .

2 Likes

Wow! The skill in building this is evident! Very nice job!

1 Like

Very nice @smekre! It turned out fine. And welcome to Mudspike!

1 Like

Wow! Just wow! And I thought I was a dedicated flight simmer. I’m now going to go hide in the corner. :wink:

Also, almost forgot, welcome to MudSpike.

2 Likes

That’s awesome - you’ll fit right in😁

Welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome and we’ll done with your work

2 Likes

Oh just great! Another person to grouse at me for trashing so may Viggens. @Troll, I assume a friend of yours. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you all for encouraging and all the warm welcomes :slight_smile:

Small update, added a small rubber thing to get the wire out nicely from the base. Got some glue on the side, so might add some extra paint around the area.

Also mounted the rubber boot from the cougar. Rubbed it with glycerol to get a better look. I also used steel wool on the metal ring to get it to shine.

Before:

After:

Assembled:

4 Likes

He is now! :wink:

3 Likes

You should build a shed together and collaborate on hardware projects :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

We have created a monster!

5 Likes

5 Likes

Smekre

Blockquote
I used the free 2D software Algodoo (if anyone is interested, I could make a youtube video to show how i did it)

If can explain how make the CAM profiles in that software will be nice.

3 Likes

@smekre i’m curious aswell!

1 Like

Will try to find time and make a video about it!

1 Like

Ty!

Me and @Sokol1 are up yo it! :+1: