My Video Critique of Magnitude 3's Christen Eagle II for DCS

Ok that’s understandable.
It is a pity that the ED forums are such a mess, they would be such a good spot for constructive criticism if it weren’t for the ****heads making drama of everything.

2 Likes

I’m happy that @smokinhole chose to keep his informed subjective review sequestered within the MUDSPIKE community - a brotherhood of like-minded individuals which strives to have a positive impact on our hobby/job/passion. In other words, it gives the devs valuable feedback without turning it into a sh–storm.

And man, for a quick flying fix the little Eagle is a blast, especially in VR. The CE2/VR/stick (get it off your desk) location combo are a synergistic path to sim nirvana, much to the chagrin of Mustang pilots :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Instead of posting the video on Magnitude 3’s DCS sub-forum I decided to post the following. It captures about as well as I can manage a true-to-heart yet totally hopeful critique of the Eagle.

I own and compete (as a gross, hamfisted amateur) with a Pitts S-1S. I have flown most of the 2-hole Pitts models (S-2A, -B, and -C). Of the three, the S-2C is the most docile and probably most closely matches the Christen—except in performance where the -C far exceeds the Eagle. I too believe that the DCS Eagle is much too forgiving on the ground and too “un-Newtonian” in the air. Hard pull looping figures flown at full power require left rudder, approaching full travel as speed slows to below stall. Conversely, hard push figures require right rudder. My Pitts has a LOCKING TAILWHEEL yet I still groundloop it at low speed either because I wasn’t paying her the proper attention she deserved or I misjudged the wind. (Talking walking speeds here so no damage done except to my ego). The S-1 is shorter coupled and a little “squirrellier” than the Christen so the comparison isn’t perfect. The steerable tailwheel is less forgiving than a locking Haigh-type tailwheel. It certainly is no crutch. Yes, it will dampen outside forces like wind and airplane forces like torque and p-factor. But only to the tune of a few pounds of lateral force. After that she will trend towards where those forces are leading her and require correction by the pilot. The CofG is behind the mains. So once that trend is allowed to start, it will accelerate. Unless you are taxiing in a dead calm with the engine off, these changing forces are almost constant.

The “easy”/“hard” arguments are not unique to this forum. Pitts owners have been discussing this since the 50’s. It is difficult. The Pitts probably ranks as one of the most difficult planes to land consistently well of any plane produced in quantity. I’ve talked “Pitts” with many pilots with experience in the type plus time in Mustangs, Spits,109s etc. The Pitts gets total respect in that company as a plane that requires solid and attentive (yet nuanced) footwork. The Eagle is not a Pitts but it is close enough to participate in the discussion. They are difficult but they are also easy. “Easy” because they react instantly to any input be it proper or not. There is zero lag and total control harmony. As long as you are attentive, it is a piece of cake. But overcontrol and you’re done for. After years of flying I still get it wrong about 10% of the time and am forced to save the situation with a fistful of throttle and another spin in the pattern.

When Magnitue 3 gets it down to near perfection (and I don’t doubt they will) those of you have haven’t flown one in real life will not believe what an almost religious experince flying an aerobatic sequence in a light biplane can be. No airplane is easier in the box. It’s not easy because it was designed to be. It wasn’t. It’s easy because it talks to you like no other aerobatic mount. Spins, snaps, hammers are all predictable if you are open enough to hear and feel what she is trying to tell you. Once you learn the proper inputs it is like an on-off switch. Do a pull-push-pull humpty with full forward stick and a bunch of right rudder over the top, pivoting at zero indicated airspeed followed by a 3/4 snap on the downline, level, half roll and push to vertical again for a perfect hammer—the smile will last you the rest of the day. You will never look at a P-51 with envy again.

7 Likes

Good write up!
I think you really hit the tone well there, and still got the critique across. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! I hope so.

I wish Yo-Yo would place stamp of approval on 3rd party projects.

I dont know… there is video review of ED’s Yak52 by owner of that plane and it contained also some critique words.

In the end both are beta/early aces ( I gues ), so there is some margin left for tuning I would say.

I agree…I’ve also talked to them about missing behavior on all WW2 birds while on their beta team., Still… that is better than nothing. I like his fancy compare graphs.