NASA's Perseverance Rover to attempt Mars landing tomorrow (2/18)

Pretty amazing stuff. The pressure on JPL has to be enormous given the limelight that SpaceX has seen lately…

1 Like

The team on their live feed are very obviously very excited and anxious simultaneously. It’s both so much fun and so nerve-wracking to watch.

1 Like

Gogogo!

then we want Asobo to develop MSFS Mars

I feel JPL is quite a different fish from SpaceX. SpaceX would have launched 200 of them and seen which ones didn’t completely destroy themselves. :slight_smile:

Plus they have that ‘Opportunity will last for 90 days, uh, 15 years’ feather in their cap. JPL feels like science while SpaceX feels like engineering (if that makes any sense)

@BeachAV8R this is just like our server reinstall. Almost exactly the same pressure. :wink:

3 Likes

Yep, this.

Thought of the Day: It took JPL half the time to design and build a helicopter to Mars than it took to add multicrew back to the DCS Huey. :smile_cat:

1 Like

I think it would be kind of funny if it ran into the Tesla up there… :rofl:

2 Likes

X-Plane used to simulate Mars and atmospheric flight…

And Orbiter is still a thing, right?

they got ‘ortho’ with better zoom level around the landing area in ‘pre-landing simulation’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe they just head for that spot because there is more to see in detail? :wink:

This is all looking good so far. It’s very stressful.

Yay!

2 Likes

It’s so awesome seeing these engineers so excited!

2 Likes

Yeehaw!

2 Likes

Curiosity had more hugs but less COVID, so good on them for resisting the urge.

1 Like

Looks good…!

My brother-in-law (at the time) was an engineer on Opportunity for JPL. He is now a senior project manager there…

2 Likes

2 Likes

Congratulations fellow humans, how awesome is this!

2 Likes

The Twitter is well worth it too: https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere

1 Like