NASA's Perseverance Rover to attempt Mars landing tomorrow (2/18)

If people are feeling in a probey mood :slight_smile: then a couple of interesting readings:

The nice vision-based landing technique used, which sounds a bit like how cruise missiles use for less fun placement/positioning back here on Earth. Looks like it worked:

Dragonfly - A future mission to Titan, that’ll use a more complete drone/helicoptor to explore:

Fascinating! :vulcan_salute:

8 Likes

Thanks for posting FF, the description of the terrain navigation system was really interesting!

Edit - actually watching a show on the National Geographic Channel describing the design and building of the rover. They just showed the camera used for the terrain nav system being tested over Death Valley.

3 Likes

Nice new pic from the sky crane.

A video is on the way as well…

5 Likes

Oh Nice! I went home early yesterday to watch the live streams. Pretty amazing!

Not sure I love the social media ‘I am the robot’, but I guess fun for the kids and less grumpy adults.

Made me think of this. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What I find interesting is that Perseverance is only the 1st part of three part mission conceived by Nasa.

1. Perseverance gathers Martian rock core samples.
  2. second mission lands on Mars, retrieves core samples and places them in orbit.
  3. third mission gets samples from Martian orbit and returns them to Earth.

Probable Part 4 is plague is now unleashed on Earth that wiped out all life on Mars :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Mars sample return mission (by ESA and NASA btw.) is really an interesting one. Nice to see that the first part is happening now.

Edit:
NASA’s Perseverance gets the samples and stores them, ESA’s rover will collect them, a NASA rocket will send them to Mars orbit, an ESA probe rendezvous with them and returns them to Earth.

2 Likes

”Look! A virus nobody has ever seen before!”

1 Like

That is insanely impressive…what a fantastic collaboration of vision, engineering, and software…

I can’t wait to buy my anti-Mars virus suit…!

4 Likes

Then, of course, they will advise wearing two for added protection :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Incredible image taken by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter’s HiRISE camera of Perseverance parachuting down to the surface.

“The Beauty of Flight! HiRISE captured this image of @NASAPersevere on its way to the landing site from over 700 km (435 mi) away!” the HiRISE account tweeted.

3 Likes

That made me crack up laughing :sweat_smile:

Wow! That’s very cool! Not often you can actually take a photo of a probe landing on another planet! Apart from selfies, of course.

2 Likes

Yeah, it seems like mankind has a fairly constant presence at planet Mars. I’m excited about the return flight.

2 Likes
8 Likes

Pretty amazing. I am impressed with the hardware and software engineering that went into this. Really impressed.

3 Likes

The above works nicely in VR. Plus some sound from the surface

8 Likes

That is an insane video. So much awesomeness.

1 Like

I can’t wait for the conspiracy theorists to find the hidden sounds of Los Angeles traffic buried in that audio…

4 Likes