New Video Of F-117s Flying Out Of Tonopah Emerges Despite Their Fates Being...

I think a major failing of the F-117 is its vulnerability. Not only is it slow and defenseless (the F-22/35 can fight against attackers, and the B-2 is rumored to have various methods beyond just being invisible, which is all the 117 has lacking ECM), but its weapon load apparently consists purely of LGBs. Perhaps they could get a JDAM in there, but even so that means it must get pretty close to the target. It doesn’t carry missiles.

While flying within a couple of miles to drop a bomb might have been fine 20 years ago, today the radars are more powerful and sophisticated enough that there’s no way it won’t be seen once it’s that close. I think it was deemed too vulnerable now.

Some modern radars, anyways. Not everyone has the dough for S-300 and S-400, nor the ability to buy enough to cover all their airspace. Coupled with other assets and used in a strategic matter, the F-117 can fit most practical uses outside of a few specific circumstances.

The F-117 isn’t slow, compared to a B-1 at full burner, sure, but it’s just as fast in strike configuration as any other comparable sized AC in the USAF/USN inventory (with the possible exception of the F-35 with only internal stores (and yes the F-111 @Bogusheadbox :)). I will agree that the current generation of unpowered munitions are closer ranged than say a TLAM, but if we’re launching missiles, we can do that from a ship or sub and skip the AC all together. Reality is that when you absolutely, positively, have to be within 1.1 meter CEP, the GB is where it’s at.

I’m with @Franze that very few opponents are going to have the radar tech to be a major threat to the F-117. Yes I know the Serbians got one, just like we lost an F-111 to groundfire in Libya, occasionally the bad guys do everything right and we get really unlucky. Reality is that if we’re facing an enemy with the radar coverage and technology to render the F-117 “unstealthy” we don’t have much else that will fair significantly better.

2 Likes