Official 2019 Mudspike Christmas Flight - AAR thread

My reason for getting to the Calgary Springbank airport around mid-week was to try to hit a weather window over the Canadian Rockies - something with clear skies, or as clear as I could manage. I thought that I might downgrade to a module a little lighter and see the sights through those splendid mountains.

Being a VFR flight with little in the way of navigation aids along my proposed route, I wanted to make sure that I could get where I wanted to go and not get lost among the peaks and valleys. I ploted a route that brought me through one of the valleys west of Calgary, along the Trans-Canada highway, through to Morton Peak and it’s VOR station (YNY) before I would turn south for Kelowna (CYLW).

If I throw in a bunch of manual waypoints I get something like this:

Realistically, I needed to plot something a little more straightforward, so this will be what I was looking for navigation-wise.

With the route planned out, time to look at the weather. I had hoped to do the flight on Saturday, when the best chance existed for a flight all the way to Kelowna. Instead, I was delayed until Sunday with the weather looking a little more challenging.

I had to be prepared to stop or turn back before i would get trapped in a valley and have ‘aviation’ challenges getting turned around :-).

If you look up at my hand-written notes, you will see a few red boxes. These indicate cloud layers that I feel were marginal. Between CYGE (Golden) and CYRV (Revelstoke) I would likely hit my ‘decision point’.

For this flight I would be using the AirFoilLabs Cessna 172SP. I had this module in my hanger for a number of months but having encountered an issue that was holding me back I left it. With the recent talk of the King Air, I dug it out again to take a look at the systems AirFoilLabs had in place - a preview of what I could expect. I flew the Cessna 172SP a couple of weeks ago and was impressed enough to push up my King Air purchase.

The checklist system is a little bare when compared to the 350 - no voice to guide you through and no automatic detection that the steps are completed. The system is adequate and better than most given the external interactions are there and the Cessna 172SP is an older module than the King Air 350.

Starting X-Plane on this cold day and the first thing I noticed were the windows foging up. I appreciate this kind of feedback and detal and getting the airplane started, with the cabin heat on, it cleared it up.

Outside we can check the fuel caps (and adjust fuel), drain and sample the fuel, check the lights, static ports, etc.

This time, a lot of the external points bring up a different checklist subsystem. It shows a nice attention to detail that has, as I stated with the King Air 350 review above, put AirFoilLabs at the top of my ‘pay attention to’ list.

Once through the preflight and engine start checklists, it was time to taxi.

Up and away from runway 35, I turned west and headed closer to the mountains, searching for the river and highway that would lead me to the valley entrance.

River is to the left in the above screenshot, and under me in the screenshot below. The Trans-Canada highway is off my left.

The ortho sceneray for the area was amazing.

Ready to turn North-West up the valley. Soon I can make out Canmore.

Taking a dog-leg left to continue up the correct valley.

Keeping track on my position was helped with the topographical maps on SkyVector (the plus symbol on the map corresponded to my guessed position.

Continuing up the valley, I came across Lake Louise Parks and went with the valley off to the left.

Off to the right I had a glimpse of the Wapta Icefield. Off to the left, the low morning sun.

Continuing on, I encountered my only AI flight of this segment: a helicopter at high (for a helicopter) altitude. At this point I am headed south and was almost ready to turn back west and head for Golden (CYGE). I know not why it has that name.

I wonder what was down this valley. No. No! Stay on target!

Over that next little hill blocking the valley is Golden and, from there, north up the valley to continue my planned route.

There it is. Golden airport (CYGE) and my fall back position if the weather deteriorated as expected.

According to my flight plan, as I continued up this valley I hoped to get the ATIS from Revelstoke (CYRV) on COM 2. I have COM 1 tuned to the Unicom channel at Golden as I wanted to keep tabs on any local traffic. As I encountered the lake and my turn back to the south-west, before I entered more restrictive valleys and a somewhat increased difficult visual identification of my route, COM2 become active and let me know that the weather in the area had not changed for the better. My decision point reached, I turn back for Golden Airport.

To my left, the valley that would have taken me to Revelstoke, and to the front left a valley that looks promising but, according to the maps, would haven given me reduced ground clearance and maneuver room. If the weather fell during this leg, it would complicate everything.

Now I could continue, I could make it over the mountains and pick up the VOR station at Morton Peak but I am going to treat this as if I was doing it for real. The main driving factor was that the weather would deteriorate as I approach and pass through/over Revelstoke and I would have had no safe options.

At this point, maybe the MSFS 2020 tech alpha becomes available and I can continue this segment there? :slight_smile: The ortho scenery for X-Plane 11 is not letting me down, and the modules here are 100% fun. It’s going to be a tough call.

Edit: I forgot to add my ground track map. Here it is. I am pretty happy that I was able to navigate without a GPS map (though I did have the waypoints (airfields and such, not the manual ones) entered into the GPS in the AirFoilLabs Cessna 172) it did not give me a ‘useful’ VFR map or navigation aid.

EDIT #2: tense … because I tend to get confused with that.

12 Likes

That 172 is a real looker. If I were teaching my son to fly…I might look into that one…

3 Likes

Great AAR, awesome scenery and an airplane that I would not have thought about buying, but you have put it on my radar, that’s for sure.

I’m looking forward to the next report!

2 Likes

Coming to Mudspike in 2023: Kai Learning to Fly.

3 Likes

…need to keep him away from the Vigens…at first…:grin:

Moving across Papua - Moses or Mozes Kilangin WAVY or WAYY ?? to Kaimana airport ( WASK )

Ready to go

Njoying the last sunrays as we headed for the coast to avoid any high terrain

Safely at our destination

West Papua

10 Likes

Almost to my next stop!

2 Likes

Out of Burke Lakefront (brrrrr…) and on the way over to Chicago. Winds out of the north on the lakefront, steady 20mph gusting to 33mph…quite brisk!

Multiple complex layers of clouds over Lake Erie and Ohio and Michigan. Running all of the anti-ice systems to keep the airplane clean…

KCGX is not in my Garmin database, so I plug it in as a user waypoint…

Over Lake Michigan…

Soon, Meigs Field comes into view. I’ve said it many times…one of my big career regrets was that I wasn’t able to get into Meigs before it closed. It was such a big part of my childhood growing up in both simulators and I lived just north of Chicago for 5 years in the mid 70s.

Taking a quick tour of the city before circling around to the downwind to runway 36…

10 Likes

Legs
8 CBA4 Midway - AJ2 Eagle Plains Nov 24th, 2019
9 AJ2 Eagle Plains - EZ2 Chapman Lake Nov 28th, 2019
10 EZ2 Chapman Lake - PABN Devils Mountain Lodge Airport Nov 30th, 2019
Previous report | Teaser | next report

It’s been a while since I last wrote you a report. I was in CBA4 Midway, having just delivered a load of ~200kg of goat cheese. After my arrival, we had a few days of bad weather and I stayed with the goat cheese man in his hiker’s hut.
After a while, I was craving a place that did not smell of goat cheese. And I need to get to Attu.
I decided to hop over to the next field along the Dempster Highway to try and find a job there. As soon as there was a small clearing in the clouds, I took off and climbed in a circle to stay out of the clouds (and the mountainsides) until I was on top of the murk. I had also been checking the weather in Dawson City, to get an idea of what it was like on the other side of the mountains, and that was looking good. So I could always fly straight there as a divert, if necessary.

I Follow Roads was not an option, and since there was no useful radio beacon within reception range, I went with dead reckoning. Please don’t ask me for the exact numbers, I don’t have them on hand anymore.

I flew through a bit of precipitation, but luckily the temperature was -29 Celsius. I did not calculate the exact numbers, but at <120 knots IAS, I don’t think that gives me any icing.

The weather cleared as I got within a few miles of Eagle Plains.

A slow pass to inspect the runway and a teardrop-like turn later, I was down on the gravel, and parked in the snow. This flight took me from the Northwest Territories into Yukon.

A few days later, there was a job for me.

A student Park Ranger had had his car fail him, and needed to get to Chapman Lake. Chapman Lake is right at the edge of the Tombstone National Park, a beautiful piece of Northern Canada.

The sun over the low foothills, and the Peel River. I decided to fly the second part of the route along the Blackstone River valley, to also get some sights of the mountains already.

At Chapman Lake, it didn’t take long for the next job to appear. Finally one that would take me a good distance in the right direction. But the cargo… Not again?!

The flight plan was simple: first head to Dawson City, using the DA NDB station, then continue to the Northway ORT VOR/DME station. From there, I had to fly the 203 radial to a distance of 44.3 nm to get to Devil’s Mountain Lodge.

Flying over Tombstone Territorial Park. Beautiful sights, but did you know goats smell just like goat cheese? Really getting tired of this smell already…

Spotting Dawson City along the Yukon.

A bit of flat countryside with lots of water around Northway. Reminds me of the Netherlands, just with a lot less people per square kilometer.

And then the last part takes me into the first of the Wrangell mountains.

Descending, it should be in the next valley.

Judging by the shape of the road and the mountains, I am in the right valley, just a bit too far west.

And indeed, there it is!

And down safely. You should’ve heard the goat on landing though!

I wonder what they’re going to do with a goat up here though?
Oh… Look at this stuff. Scroll down a bit.

Welcome to Alaska I guess.

So, this is about what I did these past three flights. Really enjoying the scenery (stock X-Plane) and the plane (Propstrike free Bush mod of default C172).

Next report

7 Likes

Leg three is in the books for me, USDD (Salakhard) to UOHH (Khatanga).

This time starting early.

Thanks a lot!

On my way. I didn’t fly with real weather this time, because I wanted to see the ground. That was depressing about my last few legs.

Nice lakes and rivers up here.

There’s… a carrier down there? Uhhm… Ok…

Another one bites the dust. Man that AI sucks.

Descending. These planes are really aerodynamic (who would have thought?!). I have to get used to using spoilers. Very easy to overspeed, even during a not very steep descent with engines in idle.

Ok, the airport is… somewhere over there next to the big river (The name Khatanga means “large water” in the local Evenki language btw. It fits.)

Some traffic ahead and the ATC completely loses it, sends me on an annoying detour.

What the!?! Where did that guy come from?

For some reason the ATC commands us to fly formation, half a mile abreast…

…aaand I get vectored away again…

I ran out of patience with the AI and deactivated all AI planes. That finally got me on final.

A bit high. again.

A pretty uneven runway.

Reversers engaged!

And that’s it for today. Two hours of flight and one hour of dealing with the abysmal ATC. Probably going to fly without AI traffic next time. Also helps with frame rate.
At least my plane looks (and flies) great. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Back from a week of school and it is time to press on. As I mentioned last week, I don’t think I can dedicate the time to get to Adak Island before the deadline if I continue in the Chipmunk, and so it is time to try something faster…

Just like a Chipmunk… on steroids. The FlyingIron P47 (picked up in the recent sale)… The nose art screamed Christmas Trek to me, so please say hi to “Dollie Mae”.

She’s a handful while taxiing unlike the docile Chippy.

Climbing away from Juneau, turning out to depart downwind… I probably should think about closing that canopy as it is only going to get colder :wink: .

Popping out above the cloud layer… X-Enviro is doing a pretty nice job at this angle.

Some cloud img the valleys as we head North West.

Approaching Mt St Elias…

This late mark P47 looks very different from the early models…

Starting the descent into Anchorage.

Low over the city of Anchorage…

The canopy iced up a bit during the descent…

Base turn…

Touchdown… A 747 freighter taxiing in after landing shortly before I did.

I zig-zagged to the FBO… did I mention that this airplane is a handful on the ground.

Parked up and shut down…

Bonus shot…

13 Likes

cool screenshots. :slight_smile:

Summary

It is actually Dottie Mae.
hqdefault

It is based at Chino airport now.

Wheels

4 Likes

LOL, I guess I should learn to read!

1 Like

Nice screenshots - the cockpit glass icing is a cool detail!

2 Likes

Leg 11 PABN Devils Mountain Lodge - PAGK Gulkana Airport
Dec 8th, 2019
Previous report | Next report

After a few days of watching Dall Sheep skulls and mountains, I wanted to get on with the trek. As there were only jobs for flights east into Canada, I decided to make a short hop over the mountains, into Gulkana Airport.

Looking back at the valley

This may seem steep, but after turning around and taking a run-up, I managed to crest the pass at ~8,000 feet.

For the longest part of the flight, I would be staring at the 16,000 feet high peak of Mount Sanford in the distance.

I had to fly around a little cloud upon arrival the sixth highest mountain in the United States, but then I could land on its side, at ~11,500 feet.

Beyond the mountain, the weather seemed worse than I had expected based on the METAR.
Now in real life, I would divert to the more northerly CZ0 field.

But here I pressed on.

And the weather got increasingly worse. I flew over the airport in thick overcast at 4,000 feet, not daring to descend. Then when I was a few miles out, having finally chosen a divert airport, the skies suddenly cleared.

I swear I didn’t do this. I had X-Plane set to real-world weather the whole time.

After landing, I taxied through the snow to the parking area, to show those tiny wheeled tricycle Cessna’s how a real Bush pilot operates, and then this happened when I tried to park…

Next report

10 Likes

…you got to wonder, how many guys busted the gunsight by using it as a handhold before they started labeling it that way…yeah…OK, maybe you don’t have to woads…but I do because I’ve got nothing better…so :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Was trying to think when and why you would use it as a hand hold and imo the most likely time would be when you were entering and exiting the cockpit. Where it is located I can’t see any other time when that would be a large issue.

Wheels

1 Like

Or when trying to look at what’s behind you. You’d grab something in order to help twist around. The MiG-3 has a very handy bar in the cockpit for that.

3 Likes

It’s really very handily placed to help you get in and out of the cockpit. The few warbirds I’ve been lucky to sit in, I’ve had to make a conscious effort to not do that. A small grab bar right in front of it would have done wonders I imagine.

1 Like

In the SH-3 Seaking, on the left (copilot) seat there is a lever on the left side of the seat to move the seat forward/backward. It happens to be right next to the lever to jettison the left side cockpit window.

In 19883 I was on my 3/c Midshipman training program and got to fly in an SH-3 out of NAS JAX. There were about 5 of us in the helo and we each rotated through the copilot’s seat for about 10 minutes of stick time. We had been warned by the USMC Gunnery Sargent in charge that a previous week a hapless Midn had somehow jettisoned the window and that we should not repeat the episode. (USMC Gunnery Sargents are really good at emphasizing points like that)

So I have my stick time (in fact the only stick time I’ve had in a real aircraft - it was awesome) and the pilot say’s it’s time to let the next guy have his turn. I reach down on my left side, grab an handle and then freeze…I look at what I’m grabbing…yep, its the window jettison handle :open_mouth: …I quickly find the seat handle and move it back and carefully get out of the seat…whew, that was close…

9 Likes