Official 5th Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - discussion thread

I think the Vaco gets my vote…what’s the middle one, though?

Tiger Moth!

@victork2 I guess fly one.

1 Like

Yep we have 3. 1 of which is a rotax falke and is utterly beautiful. I am in love with that aircraft

2 Likes

It is a Stampe (top marks to you CP). I found it while looking for a Tiger Moth.

It is a very nice airplane to fly in VR, with a decent cockpit and some nice features such as an animated scarf fluttering in the slipstream, and your passenger’s head is also animated. You have to mess with the fuel load before each flight though, because the default load causes severe W&B issues. Once you get that figured out, it flies quite nicely.

Some interesting news on the Tiger Moth … I found a reply to a post on another forum from Aeroworx…

I reached out the other day to one of the Aeroworx team and they confirmed that the project was still on, and nearly ready to release.

They are also working on a C-54, but it is going to be awhile before that one reaches us I think.

6 Likes

I had to look it up - its at the end of November, so a few weeks away. I’m tempted to wait until then to buy modules, although that means either waiting until then to start the trek or doing more time in my current slowpoke planes.

It wouldn’t be entirely silly to start with the Duchess in the interim, get some multi engine time under my belt and learn about feathering props and whatnot. Then upgrade to the King Air later.

2 Likes

Watching this to learn more about the icing events:

Because I am going through Winnipeg (one of the colder city spots in Canada (there are a lot of colder places but Winnipeg usually experiences a flow of cold air from the north), and there are clouds up to FL010 and beyond, there should be decent icing chances. It’s been this way for about a week now.

And the forecast continues for some time.

Not that I am trying to talk myself into getting the King Air or anything. No. Not me. No sir. I can resist. I can resist.

:innocent:

2 Likes

Black Friday in the USA is always the Friday after Thanksgiving day.

Wheels

1 Like

Or…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Pw4t_Falo

4 Likes

As our Air Race is ALMOST over [ - looking at you @jenrick and @BeachAV8R :wink: ] I was looking for new background image ( I had there MacRobertson Race map ). Here I found something for this flight

or this one

[url]http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/250k/txu-pclmaps-topo-us-attu-1982-a.jpg[/url]

1 Like

If real life would as accommodatingly pause and allow me to get on with simming lol.

2 Likes

Alas, my Christmas Flight for this year has ended after the first leg. I saw the neurosurgeon yesterday and he has given me 6 more weeks in the neck brace. (It’s kind of like the Groundhog seeing his shadow…sort of.)

Anyway, after working up liveries for the three aircraft I planned to use, and downloading enough scenery to get me through to Canada, I’m grounded. :frowning_face:

I shall live vicariously through the rest of your AARs. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

We are issuing a special rules exemption such that you can complete the flight by Valentines Day…! So there ya’ go! Get better Will…! See you in Alaska!

7 Likes

Best Community manager ever!

4 Likes

Well OK then! I’ll do it! Thanks! :grin:

5 Likes

That’s frustrating but better to be safe than sorry Will.

I remember when I broke my arm about 18 months ago I thought I would be off work for a couple of weeks, maybe 3. That might have been true if I had an office job I guess. It took 12 weeks from the accident before the Orthopedic Surgeon would sign me off as being fit to fly. Probably a liability concern and an over abundance of caution on his part, but I can appreciate the position he was in.

Anyway, relax and heal up Will. I’m not sure I will finish up our trek before I have to head out on a real Christmas trip. My Chipmunk isn’t exactly speedy.

5 Likes

Don’t worry. I guess I will be also late to Attu Island. After all it will not go anywhere :slight_smile:

Get better soon!

3 Likes

We are not letting you off the hook that easy! Did you see how long it took me to complete the Air ‘Race’? :slight_smile:

I mean @BeachAV8R is still somewhere out there enroute :smiling_imp: ← Smiling imp just 'cause I know its got to bug him just a tiny bit.

I am about to land in Victoria and turn my attention to flying up the coast to Alaska and our final destination. Does anyone have any suggestions for locations that I should visit? I don’t want to put the burden on my fellow Mudspikers but I also don’t really know what is good scenery around the coast for BC and Alaska.

I am considering changing to the Kodiak Quest G1000, which has a float option/version but maybe I am making this too hard on myself to finish on time. If I stick with the King Air 350, I can get there faster but I may miss some nice scenery addons. I have the Ortho photos and such updated along the coast as far as I was able, though. So there is that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course. As usual, I can’t decide between the Kodiak Quest or the DHC-2 Beaver…

I guess I am partly thinking ahead to a Mudspike cargo company in Air Hauler for X-Plane (in 2020), so there is that.

2 Likes