P-47 Thunderbolt

Ahhh Good advice. Thanks @smokinhole

Missed an opportunity to @Wes! :rofl:
Just my Ninja 250R - catch up here, would love more motorcyclist inputs!

You don’t have to, I set the roles as admin and then all you have to do for example is “@ Europe - anybody flying?” (omit the space after @) and all users tagged to the Europe role get a ping. I have it as an opt-in as some people don’t like notifications and you don’t want to use @ everyone too often. It’s an experiment I started to see if it would help people coordinate online play - without a ping, nobody may read a message you leave until well after you sent it and so the opportunity is lost.

Only one way to find out! Generally I say 100ms or more is bad - but jets and missiles really feel it. WWII planes perhaps not so much. Usually it all goes well in @schurem’s fight club (which he likes to schedule in my office hours!).

I look forward to practicing P-47 fighting with others hopefully soon. I need more practice in it, for sure!

Yeah I could try it during my office hours, but that would be at the crack of dawn for you, so yeah. Timezones, yay!

Anyway, my box seems to be well up and running. I have a busy week next week, so I’d love to top it off with a couple nights of fight club if y’all are interested in joining :slight_smile:

Pjck Me, oh master, pick me lol

And finnally I got the moment I was waiting for. After about a week of not flying the Bolt, I was back in SoW looking for trouble. My engine was running rough and instead of turning back I kept hoping it would sort itself out. Hope is never a plan. Suddenly over Carpiquette tracers go past my windshield. Here we go, sharp to port and stand on a wing. There is a 109 Honcho and he means buisness. From 6k feet to the deck I have a chance but then there is no altitutde, a surging engine and no options. I have worked myself into a corner. It dont take long till he kills my pilot. Lessons were learned.
Round two. Ok, so I realized what the deal is with the engine. I had overheated it while taxing and it never recovered. Be aware that once she begins surging, you will need to repair it. The temp gauge is still suspect. Sometimes it goes from normal to 0. Im not sure if its simulating overheating and now the sensor is dead or what. At any rate, the Bolt requires special attention. No Overheat and no overcooling. I go back to Carpiquette and begin drawing fire from the flak. It works! A Long Nose Dora comes up and we begin to spar. At first he Boom and Zooms me and I think, he may have me. Then he makes a couple of mistakes and I begin to get the upper hand. Then its like a bull fight and Ole! I got hits, Ole!! More hits
 looks lke I hurt him. He makes a big mistake turning in front of me. I must say, I love the lead calculating sight. He looses parts this time and crashed into the forest below. Rearmed and refueled I run into another long nose. He attacks from below and I evade by diving, building energy and lure him into turning with me. We get into scissors and i wait for my momment. There it is! He is out wide to the right. I pop the brakes, let him go ahead and he crosses from right to left in front of my nose. I need only lift my nose a tiny bit and hold the trigger. Fire from the x8 fifties make sparks from the nose to the tail. His engine bursts into flames immediatly. We are about 200ft AGL and he goes straght in. I get a beautifull double explosion as he breakes into a shower of parts. :slightly_smiling_face: Im about to fly out when the pilot texts me “Hey, where are you?” I said I had fuel for another round. The sun is going down and he found me. This time he really made me earn the kill while doing some fancy flying in the Dora. It was fantastic. I slept good that night.
Edit: Forgot to mention that the last update made broke my game settings for “Special”. I had to disable auto rudder or takeoff assist for all Warbirds.

6 Likes

They cause more takeoff accidents than they solve.

I had it disabled before. The update did it. Thats my story

I remember having to “purge” those settings again.

“Why won’t this damn thing takeoff straight?!”
fireball
Checks settings
:thinking:
fixed that plane

Later

repeat of prior incident
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
fixes ALL of them

1 Like

LMAO! I fixed them all :laughing:

2 Likes

Speaking of all airplanes, Did they recently fix the 109K4’s cannon? For the last two nights I have been shredding everything that gets in the way of the Mk108. Thunderbolts burst into flames or lose vital parts to one or two hits. Flying Forts have become more like Falling Bricks. When did the K4 become so good?

We have been seeing this with modern jets where alot of shell types are being absorbed like water to a sponge and others are devastating (one round snaps off a wing). I think they might be slowly tweaking alot of them.

The Update last night fixed the temp gauges on the Jug. Now the Prop pitch lever does nothing. It moves in the throttle quadrant, however it does nothing to affect RPM or engine power. Engine power is now changed by using the throttle and supercharger. RPM gauge is now uselessly sitting at about 3500rpm. No bueno (not good). The update broke my stick inputs. I loaded my inputs since I had saved them. This helped some with only minor stuff needing to be reprogramed. All axis had to be programed again but the pitch and roll curves remained. Weird, weird, weird

Ground handling has been tweaked. I have some taxi time on the Jug and found it to be subtle and maybe a bit more user friendly but not much. You still have to pay attention. DO have a key on the Joy assigned to Lock/Unlock tailwheel. Takeoff seems a bit easier
(?)
Im hoping for a minipatch that will fix the problems with the RPM. I think I would have rather kept the problem with the gauges. Sigh :upside_down_face: Early access, just tell myself
 Early Access

Strange
 I did a quick flight in the P-47 yesterday and my axes were fine. The RPM control lever worked as expected. I believe the issue might be on your end.

Thank You Chuck. I was moving the lever and in the cockpit I was watching it move. The tach would not budge. I really hope its just me. I want to fly it some more.
I will give it a whirl tonight.

I forget, is there not an automatic prop governor? I believe it’s forward of the throttle on the left side - a small control box. Any chance that’s on, or on by default?

1 Like

Correct. If the controller is set to “Fixed Pitch” then the rocker switches on the panel control the prop. “Auto Constant Speed” is required in order for the prop lever to set a target RPM.

3 Likes

You guys are all over it. So the problem is that I had used the said box to rev the engine. But it does NOT return to Auto Prop(Up). You must move it yourself back to the Auto Prop position. This is the only position that allows you to manipulate the prop pitch using the Prop pitch axis. So my bad. Thank you guys for helping out.
Had a go at it in Syria. MONEY WELL SPENT. Syria is amazing.

4 Likes

Last night I decided to take a stroll into SoW server. I got into the Jug and began climbing looking for the bomber formation. I saw what I thought was the bomber stream. At 25k I realized that I had come accross a pair of 109s cruising with beautiful white trails. Im alone in SoW and I realize how dumb this is. I manuvered behind them and they imediately split up. The wingman breaks right and my jug cuts him off mid turn. I got a firing solution. You can really tell the Jug has a great advantage at this height. RPM and throttle are at the wall. I control only boost and the Jug goes like stink. I get a few hits and my prey goes vertical with me on his heels. I realize what he is going to try and I realize I forgot to uncover my airbrake. Switch hands, grab the mouse and uncover it. There he goes, he pulls out trying to get me to black out. My airbrake is worth its weight in gold. I am in control of my Jug. He takes me through a few girations then he begins to run out of energy. I land a few rounds here and there. Then a burst slows him down. I keep a lookout for his partner who is obviously on comms. I land another burst and he dives at the ground, I try to go deeper building energy. He climbs stright up and I bury him under the nose and give him a long squirt. He emerges smoking badly in a dive. Almost immediatly I begin taking hits from the Lead. I stand the Jug on a wing to get out the way but its too late. Ive taken substantial damage and I will not be the agressor in this fight anymore. But my tight turn made him overshoot. He is a honcho and chooses not to turn with me. I point the nose at earth, put the engine to work and Ruuuun like the dickens. As I watch behind me he dives shooting at my tail. I jink and barrell roll when he is close. He goes by for a second I try to lift my nose and give him a sqirt but my tattered wings will not produce enough lift. So, down goes the nose and I run some more. This scenerio repeats 2 more times. We are pit to pit at times but I cant get behind him. Im on Defense. Then I begin increasing the gap. The stick jumps all over from rudder and elevator damage. My wings are bad and a huge trail of smoke makes me think my engine will give up soon but I am gaining
 He tries a few more long distance shots to no avail then gives up the chase. After a few minutes I make the coast !! I am next to my airfield by some miracle. Im running on fumes but manage to put down whats left of the Jug. I cant beleive I lived throught that. What a fighter ! So tough! Im certain my tormentor was disapointed he did not take me down. I felt for him.

13 Likes

Nice write up :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks Guys!
Glad you enjoyed my after action report. I had forgotten to address something else that has been bugging me. I can only fly while paying attention to the cylinder head temp. The Oil temp gauge does not seem to be working right again. I start the engine and the Oil temp never gets to the recomended 40C. I then slowly taxi to the runway. Shortly after takeoff the Oil temp suddenly drops to zero The needle simply falls like a dead duck. Ok, so one less thing to worry about? Its a complicated beast and I suspect ED is having some issues with the temperature gauge.
Can anyone else verify this behaviour?

Regards,

Maico

1 Like