Plane goes missing near RDU

Local news states he had “thousands of hours” in the air.

2 Likes

Heck I’ve been there in X-Plane or DCS trying to set up one thing while I am in the middle of something else. If i get time (ie: I am a nice safe distance away from what I am doing) I can get all of my ducks in a row but if I am in close (ie: near the airport), everything seems to be a thousand times harder. I find X-Plane particularly tough as I have to take a hand off the stick to use the mouse to adjust dials and by the time I get back to the stick, I am not where I wanted to be (alt/att/etc). Those infuriating rotaries on the GPS when coupled with TrackIR and limited mouse interaction zones, with my head moving and the zones moving … I imagine that it would be easier to manipulate all of that in the real world. Thing is that when you ‘get behind the jet’, as I have heard and understand the saying, it can be real hard to get back out in front.

And that’s in a sim. I am not a real pilot but I can feel myself in that audio.

5 Likes

Somewhere I read a piece by a pilot - not military but cannot remember if he was COMAIR or GA…pretty sure he was British. The one thing that has really stuck with me was his assertion that you have to be prepared to “throw away the approach” if things are not right. As a sim pilot, that has “saved” me many times.

As I was listening to the audio, at several points I said to myself, “This is goon’d up. He needs to throw it away and start over.” Yet he–and the controller–kept pressing forward. 2020 hindsight for sure but still…

BTW, a question for the RW pilots. Does an ATC controller have the authority to direct a wave off (for lack of better term) and get an aircraft/pilot to “reset”, settle down get everything entered properly and try it all over again?

1 Like

If ATC detects the pilot to be off route or that safety is compromised, they shall call go-around. If you continue the approach anyway, you better have a fuel emergency or a fire…
The ultimate decision resides with the pilot in command who can initiate a missed approach or go-around at any time. When you are cleared for the approach, you’re also cleared for the missed approach.

There’s a big difference being the only pilot onboard and having a co-pilot who monitors the flight, and handles comms.
I remember a solo nav flight during flightschool.
I had a class mate onboard, and that was a great reassurance. We were crossing a fjord and was pushed down by the weather. We agreed that we’d turn back if we were pushed below 2000’. At 1800’ we went IMC. So much for that 2000’ self imposed limit. :roll_eyes: I was at the controls and told my mate to look out while I looked in. I initiated a 180° as per our very limited instrument training instructions. We came out of the weather again and set course for home. Problem was that the weather continued to descend. We couldn’t get in the shortest way, so we turned around and went for the northern VMC route. This changed the alertness of the ATC! He started to follow our path in detail, calling out altitude and bearing and what the highest obstacles were, relative to our path.
I remember approaching base, without visual contact with the lights. It was a NATO standard lighting system, that can’t be seen from the sides.
I asked for verification of lights on at 100% and ATC confirmed, adding that I’d get the lights in a few seconds. He was correct and I turned final and landed with a sigh…
Having a friend and fellow pilot student, by my side helped me keeping cool, calm and collected. I like To think that I had been able to deal with that situation alone, but I know my heart rate would’ve been significantly higher and my palms wet…

12 Likes

This is a very soberong thread. I would just like to express my condolences to the victims family, and my thanks and support to @BeachAV8R for posting so candidly. It is very thought provoking, and much appreciated.

EDIT: sobering

4 Likes