Resolution or refresh rate for a dcs monitor?

This.

Recently went through my inventory of sims (racing, flight, and ARMA 3) and those without VR just, well, ugh. Can’t do 2D anymore. Even on my 42" Utra-Big Number Resolution monitor.

Just can’t. I’m a spoiled kid (at a ripe old age).

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings about my 21:9, 34", 3440 x 1440 native resolution monitor. It’s great for most simulation uses, especially civilian flight sims, driving sims, and shooters. But during A2A combat, my experience is that the reduced vertical FOV can be a hindrance, if your lift vector is directed toward the bandit, who sometimes is in the vertical. More problematic is that at this resolution and screen size, said bandits are pretty small.

With regards to refresh rate, I typically lock most sims, X-Plane excluded, to 100 Hz using G-Sync. Works pretty well. Even though some reviews are to the contrary, 144 seems like overkill. I’m not sure that my old eyeballs appreciate the difference in 100 and 144. They definitely can between 60 and 100.

2 Likes

Don’t recall where you are on VR (have it or not, like it or not) but for me, I seem to have much greater awareness of my orientation in VR; able to keep track of the Bad Guy (or re-acquire it) more easily.

As many have mentioned, it’s easier to see “something” in VR but harder to ID it. At least on my Odyssey+.

2 Likes

I’m probably about 50:50 in VR and while I find the experience much more immersive, find that it is damn hard on my neck :grin:. Maybe it’s my poor BFM skills. But since this conversation is related to 2D monitors, didn’t think it worth mentioning.

3 Likes

Yes! I was about to add that (but didn’t want to get into the I’m old thing). And I broke my back just below the neck a million years ago (forget the details, it just hurts, all day long).

Buddy of mine flew the Eagle for a long time; I told him “My neck hurts” [when I do BFM in VR]. You can imagine his response. Funny instance; we were playing golf the other day and I briefly mentioned getting into a ‘tussle’ with a MIG-23 (on Expert AI setting).

He said something like, “…if you’re having a [hard] time with a -23 you’re doing something wrong”. Ha! Shows how much he knows about ED’s AI and the high-thrust-to-weight, vertical-maneuvering, magical Flogger.

Hoping someday to coax him into DCS but the likelihood is nil.

4 Likes

Probably too much like work. We had a Hornet guy from Pax River China Lake drive racing sims with back in the day at SimHQ, and those of us also flying combat sims tried in vain to get him to join us. Nah, away from work, he just wanted to play with race cars.

1 Like

I use a 50” 4K Samsung Tv. It’s pretty awesome.

3 Likes

Well that might be in budget. Do you know the model?

Its the RU7100, actually a 55". I did a little research, seemed to be good “enough” for pc/gaming so I jumped on it. Should be in the 400 range. Things you want to look for in TV monitors for pc gaming is that it supports 4:4:4 color and has a low input lag. Cant complain at all about this model, supports HDR and has a PC mode that turns off all the motion smoothing stuff.

1 Like

Im positive you can find a better one, but for the price I couldnt pass it up. I figured if it didnt work out for gaming I would move it into the bedroom or something.

I should also mention I play PC games on the couch thats about 8ft away. 55 may be too big to sit in front of on a desk.

2 Likes

Available for £399 in uk so in budget. Very tempted. I will start looking for others and check that it would fit the desk. My wife says I can now have our existing tv and she will put the 55" in the lounge.

3 Likes

I’ve used a 27" 144Hz monitor for years and I feel that’s the ideal size for most desktop applications. I can’t say the refresh rate does much outside of letting me achieve temporary higher FPS at times.

2 Likes

How far away do you sit for dcs?

What resolution are you using Franze? 27"@144hz QHD was my thought but so many say to go for a bigger screen at 4K. Certainly Gunyhighways idea of a 4k tv would be in budget and meet the 60hz target, possibly 120hz. I have used victors big TV on his rig but he backs it up with VR for AAC.

It’s 1920x1080, never saw the need for more.

1 Like

She isnt silly is she! Nice one!

1 Like

Im about 50/50 VR and 2D, but when Im not in VR its the same 8ft distance. I just put my hotas stuff on the couch next to me. You could definitely try it out with a tv you have now and just see how it is. Before this, I ran a 42" 1080 TV for about 4 years.

There is always debates over FOV and viewing distance, but I can tell you that there is a clear advantage to sitting further away. There is a chart out there that shows the curve of basically where the advantage of higher resolution ends compared to how close you are. The short version is, the bigger the screen is, and the closer you sit, you need higher resolution. So keep that in mind.

2 Likes

Pixel density! That’s the key.

I used to play 1080p on a 50” TV.
It became awkward as the appropriate seating distance required a desk between me and the TV for the KB, Mouse and HOTAS plus a spot for the TRACKIR as the TV was too far. Sitting closer didn’t help, and small text on a TV that large in 1080p looks pixelated because it only consists of a few pixels. That was before 4K was really mainstream too.

I would rather be in the 30-40” range with higher resolution than 1080p, and perhaps an ultrawide screen.

3 Likes

Thank you. the link was interesting reading

3 Likes

Hi Gunny.
Several days searching and we got a deal on the 7100 so my wife bought it bless her. Its going in the lounge and I will have the old 40" 4K in the study. I will be alowed to use the new one when she is at work. Thanks for the advice. It is the same one that Victor2 uses in his study.
Scoop

3 Likes