Samsung Odyssey & Odyssey Plus News

Obviously as I don’t have a Samsung I can’t try it out, but I suspect the Pixel Density value in DCS is fixed around just the Rift/Vive resolutions. The Odyssey is higher. It might be better to set it to 1.0 in DCS and change it in SteamVR?

As in, a DCS PD 1.2 (or 1.5?) value might actually be the native resolution for the Odyssey and not super sampling at all?

I don’t know if there is Window MR in-HMD diagnostic overlay to show the shown settings, but SteamVR could be used to show it.

1 Like

No idea fearless, but I’m certainly willing to try. An overlay would be optimal. Is that the advanced settings gizmo that you linked above? I need to jump on that tonight after the kids are tucked in.

1 Like

Yep it would be interesting to see. In the SteamVR tool window, you can get to this via the ‘Developer’ tab (with bottom line under the ‘Supersampling’ slider showing current displayed values):

I think the Performance frame timer can be shown in headset, but not sure about that stuff - I guess desktop squint at it with DCS up and running, as in with a DCS PD 1.0 I wonder what the ‘Current’ bottom line in that SteamVR would say? If you really want to see the values in headset (plus change them, which could be cool for immediate comparison) then you can use this AdvancedSettings guy as added info: GitHub - matzman666/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings: OpenVR Advanced Settings Dashboard Overlay

One confusing thing (I often forget this myself) is that from about May 2017, SteamVR uses a linear setting for Super Sampling, i.e:

Supersample slider now behaves linearly where 2.0 now means 2.0 times the number of pixels. Previously the slider was applied as a multiplier to width and height, so 2.0 used to mean (2.0 times 2.0 = 4.0) 4.0 the number of pixels. Existing settings will automatically be converted to the new linear scale.

What this means is that the Rift and DCS are talking about pixel densities isn’t quite the comparative. Here’s a conversion table:

PD = Steam SS
1.1 = 1.21
1.2 = 1.44
1.3 = 1.69
1.4 = 1.96
1.5 = 2.25
1.6 = 2.56
1.7 = 2.89
1.8 = 3.24
1.9 = 3.61
2.0 = 4.0
2.1 = 4.41
2.2 = 4.84
2.3 = 5.29
2.4 = 5.76

Before when you said you were running a value of ‘4.0’ I was imaging all sorts of massive pixel densities, but I get what you mean now :slight_smile:

OK, that chart is huge. So, if I have have SS set to 2.0 in SVR, that is an equivilant 1.45 PD in DCS. Makes sense. And that’s why you were saying one time to leave SS on 1.0 and tinker with various PD settings in DCS. Or, perhaps since I am jumping around between sims, leave DCS PD at 1.0 and make changes to SS. It is beginning to become a bit clearer Grand Master.

I suppose that I need a baseline of Settings for DCS. Perhaps the VR preset? To that point, X-Plane could sure use some presets.

For VR, I want to take my controls off the desk. A trackball seems like it would go well next to the stick. What trackballs would be best for that?

I started using a trackball for DCS in VR just recently and I really like it. I picked up a Logitech M570. I am sure there are better ones out there but I didn’t want to invest too much into something I wasn’t sure I would like.
I just rest the unit on my right leg while playing.

@fearlessfrog and @Jeffzig, I tested a bunch of different configurations tonight and will put together a matrix tomorrow. But in the meantime, at least with WMR headset running DCS via SteamVR like the Samsung Odyssey, Suppersampling is completely ignored.

Edit: In a later post, fearless suggested that Supersampling was not being ignored, because a non-native OpenVR app might need a reboot. This turned out to be the case, so my original statement above is inaccurate.

1 Like

I wonder if that’s a side effect or limitation of the WMR bridge? Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR on Steam

Either that or it ignores it until DCS is completely restarted? A lot of Unity/Source2/Unreal based games can do it on the fly, but DCS has its own customer render engine so might not. So just to confirm, you did restart at least once with a different SS value?

Now I don’t think you should do it a bunch more times :slight_smile: but just curious to see why SteamVR SS on WMR would have no effect when it does for the Vive. Hmm. :slight_smile:

Just a heads-up if you’ve not seen it, but one connection thing with the Samsung hand controllers is you’ll need a bluetooth connection to the PC. A lot of motherboards have them already, or you can pick up a tiny/cheap USB adapter (usually best in a USB2 slot rather than USB3 for some reason on mine).

I think @chipwich mentioned this about the Odyssey already but thought it worth saying just in-case, i.e. avoid that Christmas morning and no batteries feeling etc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

To think that one day I will leave my Rift, for another, better, VR display…
I will have to buy one of those headphone heads and a case, to make a Rift shrine. :vr:

1 Like

I had a Logitech trackball for a number of years and it works great. However, my preference is to be able to use my left hand on the trackball and not have to release the stick. My current choice, mounted right next to my throttle is the Kensington offering: https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Orbit-Trackball-Scroll-K72337US/dp/B002OOWB3O/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002OOWB3O&pd_rd_r=5NH2KZ070CECMJ8AXD4Q&pd_rd_w=ZzGK7&pd_rd_wg=De03m&psc=1&refRID=5NH2KZ070CECMJ8AXD4Q

I think that most were DCS restarts, but I was using the SteamVR Advanced Settings plugin at times. That will be easy to confirm. Back with the results ASAP.

BTW, not sure if it is the same for native Steam/OpenVR HMDs, but to get to the pop-up in WMR, press the right controller joystick down (same as gamepad R3). It took me a while to find this.

1 Like

So it turns out that @fearlessfrog is correct about restarting the app, in this case DCS, after you change the Supersampling setting. I was using the OpenVR Advanced Settings Overlay, which adds an overlay to the OpenVR dashboard that allows access to advanced settings, like Supersampling via an overlay on the fly. Since there was no change in fps, I assumed that adjusting Supersampling was not having impact. But, what I didn’t know is that with the Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR “interface”, the VR app you are using needs to be restarted before the change in Supersampling setting to take effect. This may also just be the result of running an app not developed for OpenVR.

In short, if you are using WMR for SteamVR and change your SS setting in SteamVR, you need to restart the app, or simulator in this case.

That information voided most of the testing that I did last night. I repeated some of the tests and here are the results. My system is an i7 8700k @4.5, 16GB of DDR3200, GTX1080, WMR Cliff House running in the background. To test, I would load the AV-8B default Pleasure Flight mission, disable labels, start fps display, wait 120 seconds, then turn right on the taxiway, followed by an immediate conventional takeoff. Once airborne, climb to 2500 AGL while making a 2G left turn to downwind. Set power at 80% RPM. Then at mid field make another 2G left hand 90 degree turn to cross the runway. Continue straight at this altitude and heading, and engage AFC. Observe the frame rate for about a minute. Fell free not to faceplant on the mountain. Change settings, rinse, repeat. YMMV.

Results
Capture

5 Likes

Man, thanks for going through recording all that. We are fortunate that you are laid up… :rofl:

1 Like

Question re DCS & Odyssey - does DCS have to run through Steam for Samsung Odyssey VR?

SteamVR has to be running, but DCS can be the non Steam Version.

2 Likes

Thank you @chipwich.

Next ?.
I have one HDMI output on the GTX 980 Ti, currently going to a 4K TV for video and sound. I’m guessing the TV needs to be disconnected in order to plug in the Odyssey HDMI cable. (DOH) Anyone know of a HDMI switch/splitter that would allow both the TV and Odyssey to be connected? Would this device have to be a switch or could it be a splitter? Here is an example of a 1 in 2 out HDMI switch - think this would work?

Are you sure about that? SteamVR running all the time kinda got on my nerves so I unchecked the associated box …

Untitled

I even unchecked the VR Dashboard as I have no use for it.

Reminds me of the “Run As Administrator” fix with the OculusClient.exe so that it doesn’t run all the time.

1 Like

Sorry WreckingCrew, but I have negative knowledge concerning HDMI switches or splitters. The switch that you linked only supports 1080p. Here’s one that is reported to switch 4K HDMI. Might be worth reading through the reviews and questions.

https://www.amazon.com/Zettaguard-Wireless-Switcher-Switches-ZW410/dp/B01BV1XBIY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520993289&sr=8-3&keywords=4k+hdmi+switch

Since the Samsung is not a native Steam/OpenVR, initially I’ve been following YouTube videos on how to get it to run SteamVR apps, like Battle of Stalingrad. The directions that I’ve followed say that you have to install Windows Mixed Reality for StreamVR, launch SteamVR, and then the app. Furthermore, DCS isn’t listed in my Steam Library. To take this a little further, I’ve also installed Rivive, which “connects” all of your Oculus games to SteamVR. So, with the Samsung Odyssey I can play native WMR, native Steam, and native Oculus games all on one headset. The only Oculus games that I’ve run are First Contact, MISSION:ISS, and The Titanic. They all worked pretty well once I figured out how the various controller inputs are translated on hand controllers not native to the game.

Having said that, I’m willing to give it a try. When you run VR versions of Steam games, with SteamVR disabled, do they function just like they would with SteamVR running? I.E. does Supersampling and Async Reprojection work like they do when SteamVR is running?

1 Like

All I know is that disabling “Start SteamVR when an application starts” in the Developer Settings ensures that SteamVR runs only when the application requires it.

1 Like