Sharing my internet with a VPN user..?

That would make sense like Sobek said.
It potentially saw the VPN’s outlet IP (her work) and your home IP multiple times within the day (as you changed systems you used) and flagged it as account sharing through some automatic anti-cheat system.

1 Like

They just need to look at packet routing to see that it’s a machine not located on premise. That’s an easy flag.

If your wife is using a VPN client on her company owned laptop and hasn’t reconfigured your router or firewall to be a point-to-point VPN end point, then your IP address won’t change at all. There will be encrypted traffic coming and going out of your home network, which your ISP might not like because they can’t gather data about your Internet habits, but that shouldn’t affect your connection, unless your ISP is up to some shenanigans like filtering or throttling VPN traffic. I suspect that Comcast began doing this when everyone began working remotely.

VPNs are traffic intensive because they transfer data just like you are on a LAN, but of course are leveraging a public network to be used as a private network, usually operating at much slower speeds. The is some additional overhead for encryption and security services as well. So in general I believe that ISPs don’t like it when you use a VPN. Often free Wi-Fi networks in public places will filter protocols that are typically used for VPN. Another reason that they do this is because VPNs are sometimes used for nefarious purpose, like streaming pirated media.

This will be less of a problem the next time around because businesses will begin using more web hosted collaborative file sharing and application hosting, requiring less dependence on office infrastructure, IMHO.

Still, I’m no @fearlessfrog, but I can’t think of a good reason why your wife using a VPN would cause trouble with X-Plane.

3 Likes

How would a LR server have access to any other traffic out of his router, other than what’s destined for it?

That’s fairly unusual, at least in my world, that a company would allow a client VPN from a computer that they don’t own and manage.

Beach said she didn’t have a company laptop, and they were using the VPN client on one of his old PCs that also had X-Plane.

So from his main PC, with no VPN it sees his home external IP address.
From the second PC, that his wife is using with the VPN client - it would see her work’s external IP as the traffic is going via the VPN.

Same could occur if the VPN was disconnected on his old machine, and traffic was routing normally.

That assumes that she is running X-Plane while she is working. I like her more already :+1:. I suppose that she is Mrs. @BeachAV8R after all.

2 Likes

Yeah…the airline definitely doesn’t own my other computer. Maybe they are having fun looking at all my flight sim files on it. I would love for her to get a company issued laptop, but she also told me that if that happens, THAT becomes her computer both at home AND at work…which means she would have to lug it to work each day to use as well (that is crazy).

2 Likes

She’d probably prefer playing X-Plane over dealing with contract issues with pilots. :rofl:

3 Likes

Maybe she is just checking all of your third party add-ons in order that she doesn’t buy you the same plane for your wedding anniversary :smiley:

…or maybe she saw the video of the 172 pilot taking over for the stricken King Ir pilot?

…or maybe, hope that this doesn’t turn into the auto manufacturer renaming contest of that other thread.

1 Like

She will probably buy me the scenery areas she wants to visit in real life - Tahiti, Galapagos, the REST of Australia…LOL…

1 Like

This. In technical terms, using a VPN is akin to using a condom; it protects.
Using it on a unsecure computer is not practicing safe computing…

But, if that is what your boss tells you to do you do it.

3 Likes

Oh…we are practicing safe computing. We are all cyber sak’d up…

3 Likes

I work from home regularly, my work laptop uses a VPN tunnel to make my laptop think I’m on the company network.

I have no issues with Xplane on my “flying” PC.

Go to google on your main PC and type “what’s my IP address” whilst your wife is using the VPN, you should see your WAN IP (internet IP address) is the same as before she started the VPN tunnel.

1 Like