SimBox NG

Ten little angles went to the simulator…
Cut-grind-drill-drill-polish x 10 :sweat:

4 Likes

immagine

1 Like

All it needs now is a Ring Laser INS :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oooooh…! Ebay next. Maybe I get one with a blue light? :wink:

Rivet Counter!

1 Like

Anodized aluminium still can get damaged depending on the quality though, so keep that in mind.

You can always use normal aluminium and then buff it with some scotchbrite. This removes the corrosion protected layer(it’s usually alclad material). Using it on a drill/disk gives a nice style honestly.

1 Like

Yeah, I see.
Now it’s more a question of continuity. Anodized all around, or anodized on the sides, and natural on the ends. I think all around anodized will look more like furniture, if you know what I mean…

Absolutely, hard to advice you on that. Go with what feels right? Scotchbrite has a habit of removing annodization too so you can always step back to a lower level if you need.

1 Like

Here’s the rivet layout.

Since I’m placing the rivets in the tracks of the alu frame, there will be a slight inconsistency on the ends, where the frame is 40x40. The sides are 30x30.

The upper and lower horizontal rivet line of the ends, will sit 5mm lower than the other rivets…

And, for the true rivet counters out there… Yes, there will be 340 rivets.

1 Like

Maybe drop the rivets on the side edges…?

Maybe, would save you some work but if you put a row there it looks like a lapjoint which might be visually pleasing to you?

It’s hard to tell, in advance, what will look good, and what will be too much… :thinking:

The saying ”less is more”, is often good advice.

That is indeed very true, it really depends on what you are trying to achieve.

1 Like

Furniture? I get the fact that it is in the guest room and must “go turtle” when guests come over, but beyond that…I thought we were going for a Viggen cockpit look and feel…that means a few scuff marks and scratches.

I also assume you will be putting a big Swedish fin-flashes on the side…along with the standard ejection seat red warning triangles.

The idea behind the NG is that turtle mode can be engaged between sim sessions, to increase the WAF.

This is what they look like on the Viggen. Thought you knew, since…well…you have used it. Quite frequently, I might add.

Googling that pic, I found this must have item.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Danger-Ejection-Seat-Hardback-Notebook/dp/B01KTWLK0M

3 Likes

Touche’ Well played sir. Well played. :laughing:

2 Likes

Six scissor links… Say that ten times and fast…! :wink:

1 Like

I trust that you have plenty of Clecos to hold your sheets in place while you rivet.

1 Like

Reminds me of my mattress on CG-28

Just curious…are there certain times of the day (GMT/ZULU) when we should refrain from posting on this thread since it would interrupt SimBox NG building?

What we really need is for you to set up a web cam so we can all watch…and audio so we can all give you helpful suggestions and recommendations as you work…perhaps add a bit of color commentary. :wink:

Joking about the audio…but a web cam would be cool…just say’n. :sunglasses:

2 Likes